Transmission Service for 2004 Altima

General discussion area for the L31-chassis Altima, including the 05-06 SE-R models.
Markny29
Car: Nissan Altima 2004

I have a 2004 Altima 2.5 S with the automatic transmission. I recently just hit 89,000 miles. I never serviced the transmission since it was optional and the car always shifted great. Now since I am approaching the 90,000 mile mark, I wanted to service the car to get ready for the next few years, including a coolant flush if necessary. I see it as I have 3 options:

#1 - Nissan recommends the drain and refill at 90,000 miles and were going to charge about $250 for it here in NY. I was reading that is just like an oil change, except I would have to repeat it every couple hundred miles. I was thinking just change it 3 times, once every 2 or 3 weeks. That means 8 quarts times 3, which is 24 bottles of the Nissan transmission fluid. The fluid alone would cost me about $300, but I would be following Nissan recommendations. The dealer also told me there was no transmission fluid filter.

#2 - I called Aamco and they said to drop the pan, change the gasket, drain the fluid, clean the filter, and put new fluid for about $300. The guy said all I do are transmissions and even the Nissans have filters inside the transmission.

#3 - My mechanic I always goes to has a Nissan Titan. I was strongly considering letting him do a transmission flush. He said with his Titan, he did a complete flush with his machine with Nissan transmission fluid. He said you can do a drain and refill, but the old fluid is still there. (Which is why I do the drain and refill 3 times). The flush was about $140 but doesnt include the fluid which is 9 or 10 quarts of Nissan fluid. Total cost for the job is about $275.

I think I just blew a strut on these great roads so I am strongly thinking about leaving the car with my mechanic and having him flush the transmission with Nissan fluid and change my strut. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Markny29
Car: Nissan Altima 2004

Strongly leaning towards the flush..Mechanic says the flush uses 18 quarts and leaves about 9 in the transmission. 125 for the flush and about 200 for the Nissan Matic D fluid. I was very close to doing the drain and refill..Any comments?

Return to “3rd Generation Altima Sedan (2002-2006)”