Transmission Replacement From Hell :)

General discussion area for the L31-chassis Altima, including the 05-06 SE-R models.
juicehustlin
Car: 2008 M35 Infiniti

Hello hello! How is everyone doing?

Soooooo.... long story short. I let my neighbor who's a mechanic :facepalm: replace my transmission in my 02 altima, but he took 5 months to replace the previous transmission with the one I got from a 2006 Altima. Now my car will not start unless I hot wire the stater from the battery, and the car will not shift into all gears from the shifter inside the car. I was able to get the car to shift into certain gears directly from the transmission. Can anyone help with the starting issue and the shifting? Not sure what else to do, please help :frown:

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

To begin with you broke primary rule #1 of ATX repair, which is to only change any ATX with one of the same year model that came in it to begin with. Not doing so can interfere with the car electronics which may only work with that original year trans, They make major modifications often from year to year and that may be part of your problem there if the current software argues with the different year trans. We left the world of '60s Chevy transmissions dropping into all other GM cars over a spread of 15 years long ago, jumping 4 years like here is simply begging for trouble.

Secondly, there is literally no way someone else can pre-guess what the 'expert' there has done to fix it right. If he ran into the above issue then there is no way to figure out what he may have butchered trying to get it to work and what the '5 months' seem to be saying.

nando989
Car: 2002 Nissan Altima S

Sounds like the neutral safety switch is out of adjustment. It’s easy to do. Google how to do it and that should solve the starting issue and possibly the shifting issue. Check all the ground cables. Switch the output speed sensor and input sensor connectors around. Those are the same connectors and can be mixed up. 5 months time is a lot of time to forget little details.

nando989

Sounds like the neutral safety switch is out of adjustment. It’s easy to do. Google how to do it and that should solve the starting issue and possibly the shifting issue. Check all the ground cables. Switch the output speed sensor and input sensor connectors around. Those are the same connectors and can be mixed up. 5 months time is a lot of time to forget little details.

juicehustlin

Thank you @Nando989, I will check this out tomorrow. Appreciate it!

juicehustlin

Hey, so I did the adjustment still nothing when I turn the key over. I did notice the shifter on the actual transmission doesn't feel firm in certain gears are changed. Not sure if that's the root cause of it. I need to check the ground cables next. Also the output and input sensor connectors on my car, are in two different places, and the harnesses can only reach one and not the other. Not sure, what else to check? Maybe the shifting cable?

juicehustlin

Hey Nando989,

I replaced the neutral safety switch and that did the trick. The car is now noticing when I'm shifting into different gears, as well as starting when I turn the key. The only issue now, is that the car doesn't always get into gear when I shift into drive or reverse. Could this be the new transmission is bad? Or is it the torque converter?

J

nando989

Sounds like my car on a cold day 187k.. make sure the transmission fluid is to the proper level. Sounds like a bad oil pump. If your gonna drop the transmission buy a whole transmission from Dallas Jdm. It comes with a torque converter. Only thing that has to be done is open the cover and swap the diff. Sorry to hear the transmission isn’t 100% glad to hear its running tho👍 Side note. Do you trust your neighbor to do another transmission swap?

juicehustlin

Thanks for the input as always. I checked all the levels, everything appears to be correct. So I'm guessing it might a bad transmission, I checked Dallas JDM, but they don't have one at the moment. And hell no! lol Never again! What's funny, I've seen him do engine swaps and transmission swaps with no issue. Not sure where we went wrong with my car, but what can you do. Live and learn. Thanks for all the help nando989

Return to “3rd Generation Altima Sedan (2002-2006)”