Transmission refill cap/Trans dip stick

Discussion forum for the Infiniti JX35 / Infiniti QX60 - This 7-seat premium crossover dominates the class.
Cmoore
Car: 2018 QX60

Anyone have any idea how to get this cap off? It looks like a simple bladed screwdriver will release the catch mechanism but I can't get it off. I found one video that says you need to attack it from the battery side but I got no where doing that. You would think this would be simple. Thanks for any advice and direction you can give me.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

I haven't looked but perhaps this is something that is shown in the Factory Service Manuals available on this site or in my signature?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

On an '18 it's pretty much guaranteed to be a cap and not a stick, and the caps are very, very stubborn. I think purposely, because all the new trannies are bottom-fill and N/I doesn't really want you messing with the fluid. If you really need to remove it, working the catch while wiggling the cap side-to-side with a pliers or channellock will generally free it up.

Cmoore

Thanks for the replies. It looks like from what I've seen from videos that nissan has this cap across multiple platforms. Lots of frustration with it out there. I agree it's likely just a cap and there is no dip stick under it. If no dip stick why would they even have the cap and tube there if it serves no purpose at all? My Toyota Tacoma has a bottom fill trans and there is no trans dip stick. I'm new to Nissan/Infinite so I'm still learning my way around this vehicle. Thanks.

Cmoore

OK, so I was able to get the cap off and there is no dip stick. There's a tab on the cap that keeps it locked on the tube. That tab has now been modified.

Return to “Infiniti JX35 / QX60 Forum”