Transmission Question

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
BJB
Car: 2006 M45

Just joined the forum a few days ago. It was nice to find some "like minds" on the web.

I have put about 1200 miles on my '06 m45. I have noticed that when braking the tranny seems to down shift which increases rpms while braking. I don't know if this is supposed to help you stop quicker or what. Has anyone else noticed this? I guess it's not that big of a deal, it has just caught me by surprise. My '03 M did not do this.

One thing that I like a lot more about this tranny as compared to the '03 is that the '03 would fall on its face from 2nd to 3rd when manually shifting. This did not happen if you were floored, but if you were 75% into the pedal, it would really dive in rpms from 2nd to 3rd. The '06 stays high in the rpms in all gears and hauls a$$.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

BJB wrote:Just joined the forum a few days ago. It was nice to find some "like minds" on the web.

I have put about 1200 miles on my '06 m45. I have noticed that when braking the tranny seems to down shift which increases rpms while braking. I don't know if this is supposed to help you stop quicker or what. Has anyone else noticed this? I guess it's not that big of a deal, it has just caught me by surprise. My '03 M did not do this.
This is a feature of the new M transmission, I believe. The engine is "blipped" a bit when up and down shifting to match the gear changes and ratios. Makes for much smoother shifts with even less of a physical jerk to the car (not that it does that much at all!)
BJB wrote:One thing that I like a lot more about this tranny as compared to the '03 is that the '03 would fall on its face from 2nd to 3rd when manually shifting. This did not happen if you were floored, but if you were 75% into the pedal, it would really dive in rpms from 2nd to 3rd. The '06 stays high in the rpms in all gears and hauls a$$.
I noted that in my 2003 M45 as well in the beginning. But, I now drive in manual (set in M) all the time, bumping it up to 5th on the highway (and leaving it in 4th for anything less than 45 to 50mph.)

Since the shift points are different in the Manual mode, this is not as noticeable as in normal D. Cool that the new M has better shift points!

Z

P.S. You had a 2003 M45 too? Nice!

BJB
Car: 2006 M45

Yeah. Been a Nissan guy for a long time. Put over 120k on a '92 Maxima then bought a '94 Q in 2000. Traded the Q in '03 for the M. I liked the '03's performance... almost muscle carlike. My lease was up this year and had no intention of getting another M. Planned on buying a late model E class MB. I decided to drive the '06 M and was blown away with the improvements. The car is more refined in every way. It looks better, goes fast better, etc. I think that handling is about the same.

I don't have any complaints about my '03. It was a great car. It did burn oil like an old farm tractor. But since I lease my cars, I sort a feel like that is Infiniti's problem... unless it leaves me on the side of the road.

Thanks for the info on the tranny. I guess I will get accustomed to the bump in rpms when braking. At this point, it seems kinda goofy. Your brain is deciding how much brake is needed and then the car starts to help you stop. I find myself stopping short or having to take my foot off of the brake and then reapplying to compensate for the "help".

szh

BJB wrote:I don't have any complaints about my '03. It was a great car. It did burn oil like an old farm tractor.
Indeed, a common problem on those engines, unfortunately. There are threads here on how to minimize it.
BJB wrote:Thanks for the info on the tranny. I guess I will get accustomed to the bump in rpms when braking. At this point, it seems kinda goofy. Your brain is deciding how much brake is needed and then the car starts to help you stop. I find myself stopping short or having to take my foot off of the brake and then reapplying to compensate for the "help".
Yes, I think it will be a matter of getting used to it! And, then, as is common to all of us Infiniti owners, we will express shock and surprise when other cars that we drive (or talk to their owners about!) don't do the same cool thing!

Z

jamestgk
Car: 2003 M45

minimize oil burning, how, where the threads.. gimmie. also can the tranny be reset without going to dealer. im about to mount 20 inch wheels abd whant to do my own adaption

szh

jamestgk wrote:minimize oil burning, how, where the threads.. gimmie.
Here are the threads to read The second one has my recommended procedure on new engines.

zerothread/143715http://forums.nicoclub ... ead/161451

Z

jamestgk

i agree with the breakin suggestion. my first car was a 86 honda accord. my dad worked for GM he always said how you breakin your car will be how it runs. i road it high rpm for ever. i drove from maryland to cali. raced a lot of honda and nissan beat them always and it was stock. even beat the exact same car. now i own a 03 m45 with 50K, i havenot checked the oil burning but the pipes are very clean and no smoke. i drive it in manual 4 till i hit the highway. ill watch the oil now, i got 10k and 6months on standard warrty with the nissan xtended warrty just waiting. i dont race it often cause its already scary being blk on blk with blaked out lights and flow master dual exhaust and 20inch blk rims. so, most guys dont try me. i using an oil additive that has worked wonders for me on other worn engines ill let you know how it does and spread the word. im in miami, hot as hel summers, and im partial to 20w50... am i loosing power with 110 degree weather?

PS, what about the reflash tranny. i thought i saw a thread about reflash without dealer assistance. dealer says dont change the fluid should or shouldnt i along with filter?

szh

jamestgk wrote:now i own a 03 m45 with 50K, i havenot checked the oil burning but the pipes are very clean and no smoke.
Hmmm, you might not see oil smoke with steady oil use, so I would highly recommend checking the oil often, just in case you do have some excess use! When I check at the 1700 mile mark (about halfway between my oil changes every 3750 miles) I typically have dropped by about 1/4 quart or so (on rare occasion, just under 1/2 quart).

My results are among the best I have heard of for these engines in the 2003/4 M45 and the 2002+ Q45. Most people seem to burn about 1 qt every 1500 miles ... worst is 1 qt below 1000 miles, at which point Infiniti seems to be receptive to changing the engine, if you push them.
jamestgk wrote:i drive it in manual 4 till i hit the highway.
A good thing to do - I do the same! Also helps the transmission from lugging a low speeds.
jamestgk wrote:i using an oil additive that has worked wonders for me on other worn engines ill let you know how it does and spread the word.
As long as it is not the Lucas additive - that has been known to cause serious problems with oil frothing.
jamestgk wrote:im in miami, hot as hel summers, and im partial to 20w50... am i loosing power with 110 degree weather?
If you are happy with 20W-50, then you should stick with it, but even in hot Florida, I'd probably recommend using Mobil 1 Synthetic 0W-40 instead of 20W-50. You will still have sufficient hot-weather capability with it, while retaining the more common detergents and additives that perform better in non-turbo engines (where 20W-50 is more important to use).
jamestgk wrote:PS, what about the reflash tranny. i thought i saw a thread about reflash without dealer assistance.
Without a Nissan Consult (expensive) and the downloaded firmware, I doubt it can be done! Means that dealers get to do it, but not us mere mortals, unfortunately. If you know differently, please let us know!
jamestgk wrote:dealer says dont change the fluid should or shouldnt i along with filter?
Uh ... which fluid did you mean? If you meant transmission fluid, the general recommendation is to do a flush every 25k to 30k miles to maximise the transmission life. That is assuming you plan to to keep the car past the warranty period!

Z

jamestgk

luckily i have a friend who works there so ill be doing the flash and tranny flush when the rims go on. its in the body shop now, stripped down and fresh black skin.cool ill switch to thw 0w40 makes sense and it wont be to thin.no way no lucas needed with w40. its a bonding agent for metal. ill start my oil checks and get back with you. its brought amazing life to a few worn engines ive worked on for others. here is a little something fom k&n that may interest you. i saw a post that put down the air filter, and i contacted them. i cant find where i saw the post mybe you can forward it:

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”