Transmission problems

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
dihorul
Car: Nissan Rogue

I have 2011 Rogue, front wheel drive. The car has stopped driving a year ago, but now I decided to fix it. The car drives okay for 10 minutes, until the tranny temperature gets to 220F. At this point, when I accelerate, the RPM goes up, but the car won't move anymore. I changed the fluid, but didn't make a difference. Most likely I will get a Nissan remanufactured transmission, but I will like to open up and try to repair the broken transmission. Does anyone have any suggestions or tips for what to try or check? Thank you

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I don't think they make a rebuild kit for Rogue CVT's before '14. Chances are you have belt and pulley damage, so without a rebuild kit it won't be fixable. If you get a reman you'll need to turn in the core anyway.

dihorul

Are you saying saying that there is not even a point in opening up the tranny? Since I take the core back, I was thinking to just see open it, just out of curiosity. Where can I find a Nissan USA online coupon, maybe take a little off?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

You can open it, there shouldn't be any problem with the core as long as all the parts are there. This bulletin has some excellent pics to show you what belt damage looks like on a 4-cyl CVT.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/ ... 0-5448.pdf

D1dad
Car: 2021 Nissan Altima SR
2018 Nissan Rogue Midnight
2009 Nissan Altima SL

Look online for a used one. Nissans gonna charge an outrageous amount for a tranny that may or may not last any longer than a low mileage unit from a reputable yard. If you can grab the TCM from the same vehicle you may not even need the dealer to update the tranny to your car. I’ve got a cvt with 7200k waiting for me at a yard a few hour away and I paid $500. This will go in the garage for my 2018 which hopefully doesn’t go bad but I’ll be ready if it does. If I sell, wreck or trade the car before I use it I’m confident I can recover what I just paid. If I eventually need it I’ll have saved thousands over what Nissan would charge.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

D1dad wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:17 am
If you can grab the TCM from the same vehicle you may not even need the dealer to update the tranny to your car.
The gen1 trannies aren't actually that pricey, especially online, but you're still talking $2K versus $500. Getting the donor TCM along with the CVT is definitely the right way to go, it makes the install plug-and-play and saves an enormous amount of screwing around.

D1dad
2009 Nissan Altima SL

Couldn’t agree more. I’m grabbing the tcm which they’re kind of screwing me on, $150. But I’m sure, should I ever need it will pay for itself versus having to mess with triple A towing it and the dealer program charge.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

D1dad wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 4:29 am
Couldn’t agree more. I’m grabbing the tcm which they’re kind of screwing me on, $150. But I’m sure, should I ever need it will pay for itself versus having to mess with triple A towing it and the dealer program charge.
It isn't just programming. On later models like your '18, getting the data for the trans can be a nightmare if the QR code on top of the Range Switch is illegible. We can get it using the numbers on the case, but that gets people involved at PCC and not just a database lookup. Not to mention sometimes DIYer's make the mistake of transferring the Range Switch and then everyone wonders why it won't run right. Getting the TCM prevents all of that.

D1dad
2009 Nissan Altima SL

Good to know and thanks for the info. Off the subject but what’s your opinion on running 5-30 in the 2018 qr? It’s listed in the OM as non synthetic but I would obviously run synthetic. I have around 100 qts of idemitsu and don’t wanna waste it and I’m sure during hot Ohio summers that it would be more than fine. Although I don’t wanna give Nissan a reason to deny any warranty before 60k. I know the dealer I used where I bought the car used bulk 5-30 unless the customer paid the up charge for 0-20.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Might affect your winter mileage and cold starting, but it won't hurt the engine. With 5W40 or 10W-anything you can start seeing IVT malfunctions, but I've never seen anyone have issues with 5W30.

D1dad
2009 Nissan Altima SL

Yeah I figured as much and would run 0w20 in the winter. Ohio can be brutal on cold starts. My only concern was the off the wall mention of 5-30 “non synthetic” which is getting hard to even find. We do quite a few summer trips, UP of Michigan and myrtle beach and figured going up a grade wouldn’t hurt if Nissan warranty doesn’t object. I ran 0w20 im my 09 that calls for 5-30 all winter and the engine seemed to like it. Although I wouldn’t run it in the summer. Nissans one of the few manufactures that haven’t back speced to lighter weights.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

As far as I know, Nissan still specs 5W30 as acceptable for "severe" use on all models, so there shouldn't be any warranty concerns. The primary issue with too-thick oil is IVT/EVT misbehavior when cold, but most of those hydraulics haven't changed much in ages and they were all originally designed for 5Wxx (some for 10W30). The reduction to 0Wxx is mostly a gas-mileage adaptation, not something the engine requires for mechanical reasons..

dihorul

VStar650CL wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 3:54 pm
You can open it, there shouldn't be any problem with the core as long as all the parts are there. This bulletin has some excellent pics to show you what belt damage looks like on a 4-cyl CVT.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/ ... 0-5448.pdf
Thanks, I'm not going to open it anymore, everything that I want it to see, is in the link that you sent.

dihorul

The nissan usa website has a special until the 29th, for the 3102M 3UX3RE transmission. Different dealers have different prices, but I found a few around the country that have it for $1457 plus shipping $38. I believe that is a great deal for this, especially since a used one it sells for no less than $1400, around my area. The tranny from the dealer site is remanufactured and I have to return the Core. Do I have to pay for shipping back the Core, or how does it work? The TCM that I have, should work fine on the new remanufactured transmission, right?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

dihorul wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:02 pm
The nissan usa website has a special until the 29th, for the 3102M 3UX3RE transmission. Different dealers have different prices, but I found a few around the country that have it for $1457 plus shipping $38. I believe that is a great deal for this, especially since a used one it sells for no less than $1400, around my area. The tranny from the dealer site is remanufactured and I have to return the Core. Do I have to pay for shipping back the Core, or how does it work? The TCM that I have, should work fine on the new remanufactured transmission, right?
That's a superb deal for a reman. Even NissanPartsDeal is getting $1800 plus shipping. I'm not sure how the core gets handled outside of a dealership, I'd inquire before you buy. Your TCM will work fine but will need to be reprogrammed by the dealer, since the new tranny will have different IP characteristics from your old one. Maybe you can arrange to turn in the core at the same dealership, I'd ask about that.

Return to “Rogue Forum”