Transmission Problem

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
ny infini g
Car: 2005 G35 coupe

2005 g35 coupe 35k miles ....stock clutch was slipping so I replaced it with competition clutch stage two clutch and heavy duty pressure plate ordered from nopi.com and a lightweight flywheel from jim wolf technology.. I took it to be professionally installed by my mechanic who followed the instructions correctly .. when I went to drive the car away I noticed it was making this odd noise that I know is not normal coming from underneith by the center of the car.. It was like a shredding/grinding/**gears meshing** somewhat severe vibrating noise very hard to describe but not the normal clutch chatter.. thought it was an exhaust vibration from the type of sound it was making so its similar to that .. its a sever resanance coming from the gearbox area only happens up till 2k RPM could happen in every gear doesnt happen all the time and its not a constant noise...what is the proper fluid type needed?? is this common in some aftermarket clutch and flywheel set ups? could it possibly be because i switched from a stock 2piece flywheel to the 1 piece lightweight?? im out of money with a big problem.. need some advise..im thinking because there is so much energy coming from the engine to the driveshaft at low RPMs and since there is no other piece dampening the vibrations seen in the stock flywheel since im using the 1pc it might be causing the gears themselves to actually chatter and grind..

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

What does the technician who installed your clutch say about it? In all honesty, I would be very concerned that they gave the car back to you in this condition...

The factory wouldn't give you any warranty assistance under the powertrain warranty? They've had so many manual transmission and clutch issues in the G35s that I would think they are replacing them without much complaint... even if it's technically out of the bumper to bumper coverage, but still under the powertrain warranty.

Heath

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

Having your mechanic intervene makes it difficult to get Factory support on warranty repairs on the same systems..........so many things that he could have done wrong to cause downstream problems. Not to mention aftermarket components.

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

The clutch is not typically covered unless there is a failure in the hydraulic system. Not being able to drive a stick is not a manufacturers defect.

Removing the dual mass flywheel will remove any of the noise isolation and vibration dampening that it should provide. When the clutch is engaged (pedal up) the input shaft in the transmission is spinning at engine speed. There are many things in there that are spinning right under your seat and now you will hear every one of them.

If you search the G forum you will see that this is not a new issue or anything that is covered by most any warranty.

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”