Transmission/Oil Drain Plug Gasket

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
rogue_rider
Car: 2008 Rogue

It looks like both the oil drain plug and transmission drain plug use the same gasket even though the two plugs have different size heads. Is this true?

ImStricken06
Car: 2008 Rogue(sold)
2013 Santa Fe
2016 Sorento

rogue_rider wrote:It looks like both the oil drain plug and transmission drain plug use the same gasket even though the two plugs have different size heads. Is this true?
gasket? i know the FSM calls it that - but your gonna loose a lot of guys calling it that. you talking about the CRUSH WASHER (copper ring on the drain bolt

this is a regular washer, that doesnt "crush" or compact. also doesnt need replacing.

I know the FSM states: "Never reuse oil pan gasket, drain plug gasket and oil pan fitting bolts." but i have a whole different outlook on it. those who wrote the FSM dont want to leave it up to the mechanic to check the threads on the soft bolts, etc. Its safer to use all new bolts, gaskets/washers. In my opinion thats bogus. I have NEVER changed a single crush washer and never had an issue on any car. JUST INSPECT IT AND REUSE IT. (PS: some bolts have an ALUMINUM solid core washer that absolutely doesn't need replacing unless over torqued or flattened.) Its such a waste that many cars simply use a flat nylon washer and never replace it.

Dave1320

The copper crush washers are very cheap at the dealership. Often times the oil pan bolt gets overtorqued (only requires 14-18ft lb torque) so that's when they may need to be replaced.

I usually replace them for customers after 3-4 oil changes. Only problem with those washers is they're a b*tch to pry off!

ted939
Car: 2015 Nissan Versa Note SV

Which direction are the crush washers to face? Which side towards CVT pan, which side towards drain plug head (away from CVT pan)?

RickFlorida
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue Select

Yes, I'd like to know which direction we are supposed to use the copper crush washers for oil and transmission plugs as well. I think there is an official job procedure that says which side but I forgot and would like to know as I keep extra copper crush washers and change my own oil and CVT fluid (drain and fill).

There's a totally flat side and a none flat side to the crush washer but which goes against the pan?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The flat side goes toward the oil pan. See EM-37 here:
https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual ... 3%2FEM.pdf

ted939

VStar650CL wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 5:44 am
The flat side goes toward the oil pan. See EM-37 here:
https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual ... 3%2FEM.pdf
Thanks for your reply!

I looked at EM-37 at that link, but I don't see any mention of a crush washer, let alone which side faces which direction?
Where on EM-37 are you suggesting I look?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Look at the diagram and the notes. The "B" arrow indicates the oil pan.

ted939

VStar650CL wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:19 pm
Look at the diagram and the notes. The "B" arrow indicates the oil pan.
Yep, I've scoured that diagram and notes before you said so here, and then more again after you said it. In both cases, I've seen the "B" arrow. I still see no indication anywhere as to which direction a crush washer should face.

I've uploaded 2 videos about this:
* Screen capture of me examining the diagram and notes: https://www.tc3imagery.com/p984465187/e96c25442
* Close look at the crush washer I'm dealing with: https://www.tc3imagery.com/p984465187/e96c40a10

Could someone watch those 2 videos, and then tell me which of these following 2 options is true, for the 2015 Versa Note's CVT drain plug washer/gasket?:
A. the smaller diameter nooked side of the crush gasket is supposed to face the CVT fluid pan and the larger diameter non-nooked side is supposed to face the drain plug
---OR---
B. the smaller diameter nooked side of the crush gasket is supposed to face the drain plug and the larger diameter non-nooked side is supposed to face the CVT fluid pan.

Thanks!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

That diagram is a side-view cutaway of the crush gasket. Look at the side of your crush gasket and orient it like the diagram. The note telling you what "B" means is below the diagram in the footnotes.

ted939

VStar650CL wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:37 am
That diagram is a side-view cutaway of the crush gasket. Look at the side of your crush gasket and orient it like the diagram. The note telling you what "B" means is below the diagram in the footnotes.
Hi VStar, thanks for your replies!

Did you watch the videos that I linked to in my previous comment here?
In one of the videos, I explained that the diagram you linked to and are referring to does not show anything that looks like the crush gasket that I included a video of that I’m working with.

If you watch the other video that I included, you’ll see that the sideview of my crush gasket does not look like anything in the diagram.
I also mentioned in the video that I have looked at the footnote for“B“ and that does nothing to tell me which way to orient my crush gasket.

This is why I have given a very simple multiple-choice question to be answered by anybody that happens to know the answer:
Is it “A“ or “B“ in my comment immediately previous to this one?
Do you happen to know the answer? (it is very helpful and important to watch and reference the video I link to that shows a very nice close-up of the gasket that I have, which does not match anything in the diagram that you link to.)

I hope somebody reading this thread can answer my multiple-choice question in my previous comment, because that’s really all this boils down to, even in the absence of any factory service manual or diagrams :)

EDIT: here’s another simple way to ask the question …..
Is the smaller diameter notched side of the crush gasket/washer supposed to face the pan, or supposed to face the drain plug?

Thank you very much!

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I answered that way back at the top. Whether you understand the diagram or not, the flat side faces the pan. That's always the wider side, even on aftermarket ones. To answer a slightly different question, I seriously doubt it will make any difference.

ted939

VStar650CL wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 10:32 am
I answered that way back at the top. Whether you understand the diagram or not, the flat side faces the pan. That's always the wider side, even on aftermarket ones. To answer a slightly different question, I seriously doubt it will make any difference.
I don’t understand what you mean by “the flat side”, because both sides are flat. (You can see it in the video I put a link to, 2 comments prior to this one)

Are you saying that the side with the larger inside and outside diameters is supposed to face the pan, and the smaller diameter side with the notch in it is supposed to face the drain plug?

Thanks!

worldbikr
Car: na

I am on same crush washer at 355k miles. Could be playing with fire but I feel as if it's like a pinball game with an extra ball or free play. Just changed my oil.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

ted939 wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:54 pm
Are you saying that the side with the larger inside and outside diameters is supposed to face the pan, and the smaller diameter side with the notch in it is supposed to face the drain plug?
Yes. :)

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

worldbikr wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 4:46 pm
I am on same crush washer at 355k miles. Could be playing with fire but I feel as if it's like a pinball game with an extra ball or free play. Just changed my oil.
Nope, that ain't fire. I agree 100%. The wife's Altie has the same crush on it at almost 140K and it doesn't leak a drop. Just clean the mating surface and don't overcrush. When it's worn out or too flat, it will leach oil and tell you.

ted939

VStar650CL wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:23 pm
ted939 wrote:
Thanks!!

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

The 2nd post by ImStriken06 shows a pic of the correct orientation. :slap:

Not going to lie, I never used any crush washers back in the 90’s with my pearl glow Nissan Maxima, just the good ole drain plug and never had a motor oil leak.

The transmission eventually failed. Didn’t know about drain and fills back then because of no internet. :bowrofl:

Used the oem Rogue washer for several years. Finally bought crush washers for the hell of it maybe the last 5-6 years. So yah, never used crush washers for decades on end. I guess ignorance is bliss because never had leaks either way most of my life. :woot:

RickFlorida
Car: 2015 Nissan Rogue Select

VStar650CL wrote:
ted939 wrote:
I've owned several Nissans and still have one left. What we mean by the "flat" side and none flat is if you look at an OEM copper crush washer that all seem to be used on oil and transmission pans, one is more flat than the other. I can't remember exactly how to describe it. But if you look at the OEM copper Nissan crush washer, one side is more flat than the other and this "more flat side" goes against the pan. The other side goes against the bottom of the bolt head. (Per Nissan service tech apparently as I had to ask about this as I always forget).

I think there is also a half moon shaped cutout on one of these sides of the copper crush washer and if memory serves, the more flat side of the copper washer that goes against the pan has this half moon cut out.

Correct me if I'm wrong anyone but I think I have it right.

ted939

RickFlorida wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2023 5:30 pm
VStar650CL wrote:

I've owned several Nissans and still have one left. What we mean by the "flat" side and none flat is if you look at an OEM copper crush washer that all seem to be used on oil and transmission pans, one is more flat than the other. I can't remember exactly how to describe it. But if you look at the OEM copper Nissan crush washer, one side is more flat than the other and this "more flat side" goes against the pan. The other side goes against the bottom of the bolt head. (Per Nissan service tech apparently as I had to ask about this as I always forget).

I think there is also a half moon shaped cutout on one of these sides of the copper crush washer and if memory serves, the more flat side of the copper washer that goes against the pan has this half moon cut out.

Correct me if I'm wrong anyone but I think I have it right.
Hi Rick,

Thanks for your reply!

If you look at the video I posted a link to in my comment above, of an OEM copper crush washer from Nissan, you'll see both sides are equally flat.
As for the half moon shaped cutout on one of the sides,that is the "notch" or "nooK" I've referred to numerous times in my posts (see above, as well as that video I just mentioned).

I've held and examined the washers several times in the last week or so, and both sides appear to be equally flat (perhaps under a microsope, there is some concavity or convexity to one side, more than the other?). The difference in sides (as I've described repeatedly in this thread) is their inner and outer diameters, and the notch/nook (or half moon cutout as you call it).

macgiver

Easiest way for me is to see that the LARGER diameter side looks EXACTLY like a thin washer......

the other slightly SMALLER diameter side looks very much like the " STARTER THREADS OF A SPEED CLIP ". Is what the minute chamfer is.

IF you were to flip a speed clip and thread it through the bottom FIRST (backwards) is EXACTLY what I do with the crush washer , my Left hand has LARGE flat side to the left and right hand twists the drain-plug INTO the "starter thread" looking - smaller diameter side.

Any questions now ............?..............go back and read EVERYTHING AGAIN :lolling:

ted939

macgiver wrote:
Sat Sep 09, 2023 10:23 am
Easiest way for me is to see that the LARGER diameter side looks EXACTLY like a thin washer......

the other slightly SMALLER diameter side looks very much like the " STARTER THREADS OF A SPEED CLIP ". Is what the minute chamfer is.

IF you were to flip a speed clip and thread it through the bottom FIRST (backwards) is EXACTLY what I do with the crush washer , my Left hand has LARGE flat side to the left and right hand twists the drain-plug INTO the "starter thread" looking - smaller diameter side.

Any questions now ............?..............go back and read EVERYTHING AGAIN :lolling:
Thanks for your reply, Macgiver!

I just read through this a few times, and I don't understand what you're saying.
If you speak a non-English language, and used Google Translate or something to translate to English, it's not making great sense.

"Easiest way for me is to see that the LARGER diameter side looks EXACTLY like a thin washer" is missing what this is the easiest way for to do. Seeing that the larger diameter side looks exactly like a thin washer is the easiest way for you to do what?
Fill in the blank:
"Easiest way for me to________ is to see that the LARGER diameter side looks EXACTLY like a thin washer"

I don't know what a speed clip is. I looked it up online, and different things come up in the search results. What are you referring to as a speed clip?

"Is what the minute chamfer is." is not a sentence. Maybe a typo? What did you mean to say there?

Thanks!

macgiver

:rotfl Go buy one and see , you gotta do it LIVE and IN COLOR .............YOOOOOOOOOOU CAN DO IT

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUIIIE !!!!
:rotflmao
p.s yout'r nut doin whaatsz zaaaid :facepalm:

Honestly your too much of a smart fella and overthinking the action........ of screwing the drain plug INTO the crush washer from the proper side .........is all :yesnod

Return to “Rogue Forum”