Transmission not shifting right all of a sudden

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Micallen
Car: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4 V6

I had cruise set. Went up a slight hill and it down shifted. Once the road leveled out, it would not return to the proper gear. I tapped the brakes to cut the cruise off and coasted a few seconds. It still wouldn't shift back. I turned about a mile later and when you give it gas, it wouldn't shift. I stopped completely, and sat a few seconds. When I start moving, it feels like it's starting in 2nd or 3rd gear. It will shift like once. I checked tranny fluid, and it's low, but there is some on the dipstick. It does not drip any on my driveway.

Any chance adding some back will help this? It's always shifted flawlessly.

Also, what type transmission fluid do I need?

QX4ME
Car: 02 Infiniti QX4 4WD
11 MB C300 Sports
06 Honda Odyssey

I bought from Nissan dealer the "Nissan Matic-D", P/N 999MP-AA100P.

Micallen

UPDATE: I just bought a quart of the general Castrol Import Multi-vehicle and added 1/2 quart. I drove it around and it shifted flawlessly again. I checked the level, and it is perfect now.

I just had a drain and fill done 6000 miles ago. MAYBE they didn't put quite enough in and it just started acting up today??? There is no spot (from a leak) on my driveway at home where I always park.

Micallen

UPDATE 2: I forgot to wrap this one up. Later the same day, I drove home (26 mile trip) and halfway home, it started not shifting well, and accelerating like it was kicked in the groin. This time the CEL came one. Turns out it was 2 different issues. The tranny leak was not related. T.I.L about "limp mode."

Next day I replaced the crank position sensor, and it drives fine.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”