Transmission needs replaced

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
JCE17
Car: 2013 Nissan Rogue SV

This past weekend I was driving my 2013 Rogue (80,000 miles) on the highway, all of a sudden the RPM's redlined and the car would hardly accelerate. I was able to limp it to the next exit. From there I had it towed to a service shop I know and trust. They called me today and told me the transmission is shot and needs replaced. I know that 2010 and older all had their warranty extended to 10 years, 120,000 miles. They suggested I call Nissan, plead my case and hope they extend the warranty for me and cover the replacement.

I called Nissan and they told me the first step is the car needs to be diagnosed by a Nissan dealer. So I am having the car towed to a Nissan Dealer. I already spoke with the service manager and he is going to diagnose the car and do the best he can to get Nissan to cover this.

Does anyone else have any suggestions to help get Nissan to extend the warranty? Has anyone been successful in doing this? Whatever the outcome, I will post it here so it can hopefully assist someone in the future.

Thanks,
Josh

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

Well, there likely by then was at least one trans fluid change needed and if not done you know where that is leading..........the trans gets updated in software at the change to tell on you.

darylzero
Car: Nissan Rogue 2009 SL AWD Premium Pkg.

JCE17, don't get your hopes up. Companies are not in business to be generous.

The service manager will say whatever, he would however possibly try to get it covered under warranty because then that dealer makes money. He will of course make money if Nissan doesn't cover it and you pay for a new trans.

I hope it works out for the best.

JCE17

Quick update, heard back from the dealer today. He confirmed it needs a new transmission. I contacted Nissan Assist and told them the diagnosis was ready and I am currently waiting on a Regional Service Manager to get back to me with their decision to cover it or not.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

It be cool and great good will if they did.

But I think they stop with the 2010 with the extended stuff.

Dealership will probably go by the book.

Crummy world we live in

JCE17

casperfun wrote:
Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:19 pm
It be cool and great good will if they did.

But I think they stop with the 2010 with the extended stuff.

Dealership will probably go by the book.

Crummy world we live in
Yeah I am not expecting them to cover it but it is worth a shot I guess. There have been a few lawsuits and class action lawsuits against Nissan and they settled by covering the cost for 2013's. Dealer quoted me at $4,200 parts and labor for the replacement.

casperfun

You should take nissan to court and tell the judge about those cases.

I actually took my dealership to court over a leak which was most likely my transmission at the time come to think of it.

Leaked right after they did another repair. For my pearl glow nissan maxima back in the day.

I lost, but it was for principle.

But I am sure they paid more for lawyer and the 2-3 people of management were not happy going to court.

Win in my book, lolz.

I was all alone against them.

Maybe they will fix it if you plan to sue, who knows.

Real easy to file a small claim court case.

Make sure u sue the agent representing the dealership of your jurisdiction.

Send a demand letter that you will sue.

Sue for $4000 for cost if transmission.

Nothing to lose , they might even settle to repair.

It's real easy, and if you feel that you've been wronged, do it.

You seem to have some evidence on your side.

Also BBB is bull crap, companies just pay them to get a good rating or what not. Fake .

JCE17

UPDATE: Nissan Assist called me and are denying to help me out with any of the repair costs. The reasons he gave me were:
-Out of warranty (knew that, that's why I was contacting them)
-I never took the car in for regular maintenance and accused me of not being a loyal customer. He said if I had been willing to pay for things such as oil changes and tire rotation (things I handle on my own), they would have been more likely to work with me.
-He said the mechanics at the dealership would have recognized this issue had I brought it in. The Service Manager and the tech at the dealership both said there is nothing that could have predicted this and they included that on the report.
-He told me he hadn't found any complaints from any Nissan dealer for a 2013 Rogue with the transmission going out like this, which is BS because the dealer told me they get these in quite often

If there is an upside, the dealer felt bad for my situation and is giving me a discount on the parts and labor to bring the total cost down. If anyone is in the Kansas City area, I highly recommend Fenton Nissan of Tiffany Springs. They have been great throughout this process. Dustin in the service department has been especially helpful.

As far as Nissan assist, the regional adviser that helped me was Jerome. He was worthless.

My advice to anyone with a Rogue that isnt under warranty, maybe take your vehicle in for a general service check. Maybe then if the transmission goes out, Nissan Assist will help you with some of the costs.

casperfun

Normal s*** answer.

Just tell them to read these forums...lolz.

You seem to be good peoples, good for you being cool about it.

Even if you took it in to maintain, cvt probably blow up too.

Dealer will still say out of warrenty.

Sucks you don't get the 10yr/120,000 power train warrenty.

2013 looks no different than a 2010.

What happen to your supporting evidence, it's a well known issue.

So how much of the $4000 are they covering?

It's just the cvt & Labor.

Bad luck with these time bombs, it's always in back of my mind too.

amc49
Car: '11 Nissan Versa
'17 Nissan Altima

The only real way you have to get back is with your next car purchase. There are others out there that do CVT and without all the trouble NIssan has. The company in going the ultracheap route to sell to third world countries has gone low enough in cost cutting that CVT cannot be done successfully by them.

Study the Carlos Slim Renault buyout that intends to flood lower economy countries with cars and you will understand why Nissan has gone where it has. Nissan is NOT the company it was pre-year 2000. Everything about its' major objectives have changed.

JCE17

casperfun wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:35 pm
Normal bullsh*t answer.

Just tell them to read these forums...lolz.

You seem to be good peoples, good for you being cool about it.

Even if you took it in to maintain, cvt probably blow up too.

Dealer will still say out of warrenty.

Sucks you don't get the 10yr/120,000 power train warrenty.

2013 looks no different than a 2010.

What happen to your supporting evidence, it's a well known issue.

So how much of the $4000 are they covering?

It's just the cvt & Labor.

Bad luck with these time bombs, it's always in back of my mind too.
Honestly, the guy at Nissan Assist didnt care about the supporting evidence I had. He said what Nissan has done with other customers has no relevance to my issue. The only way this will probably help is if I take Nissan to court.
amc49 wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:49 pm
The only real way you have to get back is with your next car purchase. There are others out there that do CVT and without all the trouble NIssan has. The company in going the ultracheap route to sell to third world countries has gone low enough in cost cutting that CVT cannot be done successfully by them.

Study the Carlos Slim Renault buyout that intends to flood lower economy countries with cars and you will understand why Nissan has gone where it has. Nissan is NOT the company it was pre-year 2000. Everything about its' major objectives have changed.
Yep. I will not be buying another new Nissan again. I have had and driven 240sx's and 350z's and really enjoyed them. Those or old Z cars is about all I'd ever buy from Nissan again.

Return to “Rogue Forum”