Transmission Issues

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
hunterfreeman1
Car: 2008 Infiniti G35 Sport

I have a 2008 Infiniti G35 Sport with 178,000 miles. Everything is stock.

Last week I randomly tried to reverse out of a parking spot and I only had what felt like half the normal power. The next day I tried backing up a hill and the car would not move at all. It will rev and the RPM's will rise but the car wont more. On flat ground it will reverse ever so slowly.

I took the car in to my local Cottman Transmission and they ran a free check on the vehicle. They didn't find and codes coming from the transmission and told me the problem was definitely not electrical and was definately mechanical and from the transmission. He quoted me $650 to remove the transmission, tear it down, wash the parts and diagnose the exact parts that are worn/bad. He then ball parked that it would be $4000 - $4800 to rebuild the transmission. I preceded to call another local transmission shop and explained the problem to them and they quoted me $2800 - $3800 for their rebuild.

Both places said they would be replacing all seals and gaskets along with belts, clutch plates, and torque converter.

When asked about the price difference Cottman told me he often sees a part in there that is worn and that one part alone is $800 and that if it didn't need to be replaced it would be in the $2800 - $3800 range.

Has anyone here recently had their transmission rebuilt and if so what was done and what was the cost of yours? Is there anything I should know about before having this rebuilt or anything I should specifically ask for etc..

Starter
Car: 13 G37X sedan
11 G37S sedan

Just be aware that a common practice at many transmission shops is not to repair the tranny at all. They just stick in a rebuilt unit and bill you. Your tranny then goes out for it's own rebuild to wind up in somebody else's car. Pricing can vary greatly. One reason (among many) that I prefer manuals.

hunterfreeman1
Car: 2008 Infiniti G35 Sport

Thank you for the input! I was thinking about putting it up on my ramps and marking it somehow to ensure that they do put mine back in.

edn
Car: 2005 Infinity G35 Coupe

Just took our 2005 G35 Coupe in to Sac Infinity in Roseville for transmission check. About 87K miles, bought new, never a hint of trans problems until last Friday, when my wife wasn't sure she'd make it to work. Never driven hard at all. In fairness, while we regularly change oil & filter, and various other items as needed, since there is no dipstick to check the trans fluid level, I got careless and didn't flush and replace it every 30K. Don't think it was low even then.

Dropped it off at Sac Infinity Fri afternoon. It sat at dealer all weekend, and I had to call twice on Monday to get anyone to call me back to do the $140 "diagnostic check". After no call all day, I stop by and get an estimate to fix every thing possibly wrong with a 10 year old, $10K (at best) car. $13,207.... LOL! Guess that's their business though. Trans replacement (broken out below) was one of the recommended items. I was blown away at only 87K miles on a car that's been driven fairly gently over the years.

They recommended replacing the transmission with a remanufactured one (which I understand is the better choice over a rebuilt one; current updates and better warranty?). Trans itself is $4433 plus misc parts ($4784 total), labor $1046, tax & misc about $360: TOTAL: $6190.

I will try to get someone else to flush the trans and replace with the latest recommended fluid, and see if the car will drive or not. I understand the flush is less expensive at a Nissan dealer and trans is the same as the Z of course. If that doesn't do it, have to decide if I want to consider spending that much on the rig, even though it's been a great car.

Any recommendations for stand up dealers (Nissan or Infinity) or Auto Shops in the Roseville/Sacramento area that specialize in Nissan/Infinity and/or are fairly priced with good mechanics?

Thanks!

raremotive
Car: 04 G35

^ What exactly was the problem that prompt you to visit the dealership?

4k for a rebuild tranny is milking it. :nono:

2uy
Car: 2008 G35 journey

hey my 2008 g35 journey got the same exact problem... I'm hoping its the rear transmission mount..
My tranny fluid is topped off.
(go youtube type in 350z Polyurethane Transmission Mount Install by:Z33)

anyone else got this issue?

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”