Transmission issues - 94 D21 4x4 ka24e 5 speed

Forum for the Xterra, Frontier and Hardbody, the smaller workhorses of the Nissan lineup!
badgerthehobo
Car: 94 d21 "Eugene", 01 QX4 "Quasi"

Hi all,

Vehicle details: 1994 D21, Ka24e, 4x4, 5 speed, 300,000 miles (semi-educated guess, as the speedo/odo haven't worked in over a year)

I have what seems like a major transmission problem with my truck. I was reversing up a steep driveway - not far, just enough to turn around - and heard a loud bang. It felt like I hit a tree or something. Anyway, I put the truck into first and it wouldn't move. I finally got it to move, and the transmission is making a very loud noise, like it's jammed into two gears at the same time. It will go into all gears without any problem with the truck turned off. But with the truck running I have a rattling noise, whether or not the clutch is depressed. It will drive and sort of shift through the gears, but always with the grinding/rattling/whining noise.

Honestly, it sounds like the whine you get when you drive in reverse.

I've done some research, and some of what I found said it could be a clutch problem, such as one of the fingers being broken off. Also said throwout bearing, pilot bearing, clutch fork, even the clutch push rod could be out of adjustment.

I'm really hoping I don't have to buy a transmission, as that's way out of what I can afford. I drive the truck every day for work, typically 2000 miles a month, cleaning pools. It's also our only vehicle.

Help?

whomadewho
Car: 1997 Nissan pickup

With the engine running how does the transmission engage when shifting. If the clutch assembly was bad say a pressure plate issue it would difficult engaging the transmission. The truck has a hydraulic clutch make sure the master and slave cylinder are working properly. Check to make sure the center bearing in the drive shaft isn’t out. Could also be a transfer case issue? Or like you stated the transmission. Could drain the fluid to look for pieces?

Return to “Nissan Trucks Forum”