Transmission issue

The G-Series Tuning Forum is the place to discuss G35/G37 performance modifications and mechanical repair.
Lmwagner
Car: 2006 Infiniti G35

need some help please
i can start my( 06 g35 automatic transmission) car and it will start off in 1st and go thru 2nd and into 3rd just fine but then it wont go in or out of 3 unless i shut the car off and crank it up again

ive topped off fluid with no success
ive unhooked my battery for about an hour with no success

even putting it in manual mode does nothing one i get into 3rd no there is no coming in or out
check engine light is on as well as a couple more slip, vdc, and tire pressure?
im hoping since all the gears do actually still work thatg maybe its a valve body replacement fix

there were no warnings or anything it just started last night

macgiver

Solenoids do a lot of the 'work' your're describing , and 3 or 4 or more ? maybe in your trans , and they are vastly cheaper , ea , than "valve body replacement " - which may necessitate from Stealership's
"deal" that ALL NEW solenoids must be purchased too , with that NEW valve body !!!!!!!!!!!
So ya gotta get a good honest appraisal / diagnosis here , and I'm definitely not trying to 'pretend' to be a g35 trans expert .
So , the codes , a good honest assessment by professinal transmission person , and it COULD BE that it appears to be 1 or 2 solenoids , and with a drain/ filter & solenoid R & R - you may be fine ???? :yesnod

I always say -DONT JUST LISTEN TO ME :rotflmao

Lmwagner

Thank you for your reply
So it would be worth a shot simply replacing just the solenoids? I wasn't sure about doing that vs the whole assembly.
I'm trying to stay positive since I believe all the gears are still good. I say that because I can put the car in manual mode as soon as I crank it and go thru the gears. But maybe a quarter mile down the road it jumps to 3rd and stays there no matter what until I restart the car.

Lmwagner

If I were to replace the solenoids myself...seems fairly easy just dropping the pan and pulling the valve body out. Is there anything I would need to do putting it back in? Is there anything else I would need to replace like a gasket or sensors maybe?

Lmwagner

I'm thinking I'm going to try to replace all the solenoids first

Lmwagner

I'm thinking I'm going to try to replace all the solenoids first

macgiver

Remember what I said , I'm not a g35 transmission expert , and I hope your not gonna find you 'rushed' into a certain direction - like you say , to dive in & replace ALL solenoids . I'm making some realistic logical points here from my 40 years experience . Just remember I said finding any codes , and professional transmission person's evaluation.
I'm afraid my response is causing you to dance in the dark , shotgun approach kinda - and I have to say slow down .
I will only say that IF your seeing a code/codes pointing to one specific solenoid , or more I would agree with you 'jumping-in' like you wanna do. But what I'm absorbing from your OP is you may be a little green to skip the "professional transmission journeyman " part - so I can't really tell you yeah , go do this way , with all due respect.
What I've done with automatic transmission problems is learn what I can ( ie. the trouble code ) ,then drop in a couple transmission shops , or talk directly to Dealership mechanics , AND getting more from others here too especially , I'll always say - " Don't just listen to me " , :yesnod

An example I knew an AAMCO guy , nice guy , he might say something like , with yours " well the so&so solenoid is NOTHING to do with that , BUT the # x,#y solenoids -yeah they da-da-da your problem , the valve body unless bathed in crud in it's life doesn't do this in XXXX ? miles ......" . Ya see what I mean .

Another transmission GURU from Scottsdale Infiniti , years back would say about J30 transmission " there isn't ANYTHING ELECTRIC that would keep yours from having 1st & Rev......... rest is internal mechanical NOT solenoids " , he even identified a fragmented part I found in pan !!!! a very simpler transmission I know , but ya see what I mean .

Return to “G35 and G37 Engine, Drivetrain & Tuning”