Transmission front cover damage: repair or track down new part?

1980-1986 Datsun 720 forums. All 720-specific topics and discussion can be found here.
macklen
Car: 1985 Nissan 720

Hi.
I did a clutch job on my 85 720 4x4 about a year ago. I replaced the pressure plate and clutch disk, rear main seal and throwout bearing.
It ran for about a year, then I began experiencing some hard shifting, so I adjusted the pedal and bled the slave cylinder. Hard shifting continued until the slave cylinder blew from the pressure, so I knew air in the fluid was not the issue. Also, at that time the clutch felt like it was seized, since it was not coming back after I released the pedal.
I peeked into the tranny through the fork hole and saw that the fork itself was broken at the pivot point from so much pressure, so I lowered the tranny again -PITA, since it's a 4x4 and I dropped from the bottom, front diff and transfer case with driveshafts have to come off- and I saw that the throwout bearing I got last time had worn the front cover shaft and was getting caught in the groove it worn, not coming back and causing the clutch to stay pressed.

Question: can I get away with sanding the groove on the cover and just replacing the bearing, fork and slave cylinder or do I have to get a new front cover too? Groove doesn't seem too deep, and I have seen posts where the cover itself is broken and welded back on by the owner. See pictures.

semi-fly
Car: 1982 Datsun 720 (back from the grave)

Whenever i hear "doesn't seem too deep" i think "replace it".

waynosworld

Replace front cover and fork, you need to replace the pivot ball also if the replacement cover doesn't have one, don't use that one again, I have never seen that kinda of damage on a fork before.

Return to “Datsun 720”