Transmission Flush

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
elan
Car: BMW 328I, Had J30 95,

Afternoon everyone,

I like the forum, I found a lot of usefull info here. Now I have a question. Hopefuly someone has come across something similar.

I got my J30 95 a couple of month ago and desided to give some love to my new baby. This weekend I was doing transmission flush if you can say so As I suspected the transnission was not taken care of properly. I did it myself the way someone wrote here (sorry for not remembering the name ). Anyways. I flushed the oil. Replaced the filter screen, cleaned the pan and magnet (everything was damn dirty). Then flushed about 8 qts through the transmission. I was putting about 2qts then started the engine , went through all gears (with break pressed) for about 2-5 mins. Then turned the engine off and flushed the oil again. First two flushes were dirty too then the oil was more close to being pink. I was using a regular Dexron III compatible ATF. I do not remember the brend now. Then I did 1 flush using synthetic Mobil 1 and the finaly I put about 1 Qt of Mobil 1. So totaly I put 2Qt Mobil and the rest was reqular.

After doing all this the transmission shifts very smooth in most cases. In most cases when the rpm grow rpidly I do not even feel it except hearing that the rpms dropped. One thing I noticed that started happening is: When I stop for example on the traffic light it feels like the rpms grow fast and then it shifts to the first gear with a kinda car sitting down(the same way like you shift to D from P forexample). It feels exacly like for example you are going uphill and then the AT switches to the lower gear with raising the rpms. But in this case I have the break on so it raises the RPM switching and then calms down again. Does anyone happen to come agross this effect ? I will appreciate if someone shares their experience.

Besides I have swithched engine to synthetic Mobil 1 completely after putting Mobile 1 and driving only about 1000 miles on the mixture to clean it. Besides I put K&N Air and Oil filters. The idle RMPs dropped to abount 500 and are very stable. The first time it seemed to me that the engine was about to shut down as it's not making that much noise on idle as it used to. May be this affected the situation as well.
Modified by elan at 4:01 PM 5/8/2006

driverdriver
Car: NICO's longtime resident Canuck!!!

Some of the RPM and idle issues sound MAF related. Have you checked it? Have you had the opportunity to drive around with a scan tool connected, checking to see what trouble codes are being spit out?

Welcome to NICO!!!

elan

driverdriver,

You make a good point I think. I have not checked the MAF but I think it's a good idea to have it cleaned. I will definetely do it this weekend. I have not had an opportunity to drive with the scaner as I do not have that animal yet . I will try to work in this direction. Thanks for pointing out....

Thanks for replying..

driverdriver

Sometimes when you install a new K&N air filter there is a bit of oil on it, that will hit and stick to the MAF. Clean the MAF and report back as to the result. I suspect this is your problem.

BTW in your profile fill out where you're from. You may have some helpful J owners close to where you live.

elan

driver,

I have cleaned the MAF but it didnot make any difference.What made a difference is draining 2 more quarts and replacing them with fresh Mobil 1. I drained the pan and put one more quart. Then I drained again and put one more quart. I start to believe that the problem was probably due to the cheap ATF I used for flushing. And as I replace it with fresh Mobil 1 it works better. The changes were noticable after every quart I put. So far I put 4 quarts of Mobil 1 inside. This weekend I will put 2 more quarts and will post if it makes any changes. For me ot looks that only driving really helps to get the old dirty fluid out. As still when I flushed the fluid I see it's brown, though it's lighter every time.
Modified by elan at 6:58 PM 5/17/2006

elan

driver,

finally it turned that the level was lower than it supposed to be. I guess I read it wrong as it is more difficult to do it after you pour the fluid through the stick pipe as some fluid remains on the walls. I added 1 more quart of the fluid today and that effect disappeared. Now it runs smooth and starts nice. Thanks anyway. I hope my experience will help someone.
Modified by elan at 7:43 AM 5/19/2006

driverdriver

Good stuff! Thanks for the update.

elan

driver,

sorry for offtop , i just could not find any way to send you a private message.

I see you are from Toronto. I'm moving to Toronto this summer and wanted to ask you is it difficult to find parts for J30 out there? Do you find them mostly in GTA or you buy them from the US ?

Also , I will have to install the DRL for the car to comply with Canada regulations. Could you recommend any shop that does that ? is Canadian Tire good/bad ?

Thanks in anvance.

driverdriver

elan wrote:driver,

sorry for offtop , i just could not find any way to send you a private message.

I see you are from Toronto. I'm moving to Toronto this summer and wanted to ask you is it difficult to find parts for J30 out there? Do you find them mostly in GTA or you buy them from the US ?

Also , I will have to install the DRL for the car to comply with Canada regulations. Could you recommend any shop that does that ? is Canadian Tire good/bad ?

Thanks in anvance.
There are plenty of parts available for the J30. I get most of my parts from Infiniti Agincourt. They have a huge parts warehouse on premise. Basically all the Infiniti dealers in Canada order from them, if they don;t have anything in stock. If you go there often enough they start giving you a discount that they offer to the garages.

You can purchase a DRL kit from them. I believe you need them in order to get Ontario plates. I think the kit is something like in the $150-$200(Canadian range). They'll probably even install it for you. They have great service hours. They are open all day Saturday and 3 days during the week from 6am till midnight. There are a couple of shops out here (one in the west end and the other in the east end) that have a fair bit of knowledge about the J30/300zx. They are a lot more reasonable in cost than Canadian Tire and they do better work and have better customer service. Ask me where they are, when you get closer to that point.

The PM function is disabled on the board. If you need something simply post either in an existing thread or in a new one. I'll find it. I don't know how familiar you are with Toronto and the area, if you have any questions about that, feel free to ask also. I've lived here pretty much my entire life.

elan

driver,

Thanks a lot for your replies. It is very helpful. Hopefuly Canada will get another J30 owner soon

shortlid
Car: 1999 Honda Accord EX sedan, 5-speed manual

I live in New Hampshire and I was looking at a J30 because it has a LSD rear end. How are these RWD cars in the snow?? I have only had FWD and AWD up here most with snows on them.

elan

driverdriver wrote:There are plenty of parts available for the J30. I get most of my parts from Infiniti Agincourt. They have a huge parts warehouse on premise. Basically all the Infiniti dealers in Canada order from them, if they don;t have anything in stock. If you go there often enough they start giving you a discount that they offer to the garages.

You can purchase a DRL kit from them. I believe you need them in order to get Ontario plates. I think the kit is something like in the $150-$200(Canadian range). They'll probably even install it for you. They have great service hours. They are open all day Saturday and 3 days during the week from 6am till midnight. There are a couple of shops out here (one in the west end and the other in the east end) that have a fair bit of knowledge about the J30/300zx. They are a lot more reasonable in cost than Canadian Tire and they do better work and have better customer service. Ask me where they are, when you get closer to that point.

The PM function is disabled on the board. If you need something simply post either in an existing thread or in a new one. I'll find it. I don't know how familiar you are with Toronto and the area, if you have any questions about that, feel free to ask also. I've lived here pretty much my entire life.
Driver,

I'm going to Toronto this Friday for a week or so to look for a place to settle down. So I'mplanning to prepare the car for the following importation procedure. So I think I will try to install the DRL during this trip. Can you give me any conact info of those shops that you recommended ? I'm going to be around downtown, Missisauga, North York. +- 50-100 km is not a big deal as I'm going to drive around anyways and going to visit some friends around GTA. Thank you in advance for your help.

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”