Transmission fluid level REALLY HIGH, is this right?

General discussion forum for J30 and M30 owners!
crystaltrottier
Car: 94 infiniti j30t

I just got a 94 infiniti j30t with 133k miles.

I checked the transmission fluid after coming home from the grocery store after the car sat about 30 minute and engine off. It was REALLY HIGH like 3-4 inches above max, the following morning I drove the car for 5 minutes total spending a little time driving in each gear then put the car in park (as manual states) and rechecked with engine running and it was still 3-4 inches above max hot line. Am I doing something wrong here?

Fluid was good color and smelled like chemicals but not what I would perceived as burnt and had a few bubbles in after the check with the engine running.

The car drives great, former owner always took it to the same fancy place for oil changes and there little reports all looked good time and time again. I was considering a fluid and filter change but want to rule out a coolant leak before spending the money cause I have zero dollars.

I noticed the coolant overflow tank was also way over max fill when cold, did the excess get coolant get forced into the transmission and it was a one time deal now that the excess has been purged?

If fluid is truly that high, How much should I drain off before rechecking the level, 4 inches over is roughly how many quarts over?

driverdriver
Car: NICO's longtime resident Canuck!!!

Overfilled transmission fluid does cause overheating, which will shorten the life or damage your transmission. Get it drained and filled to proper level.

Return to “J30 Forum / M30 Forum”