Transmission fluid leak near transfer case

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Micallen
Car: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4 V6

I have a new leak that is coming from the adapter between the transmission, and the transfer case. It is coming out of the weep hole.

Is this an internal seal? How difficult a job is this?

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

You made me look at mine. I wasn't sure what you meant by referring to the weep hole but now I see it. Mine has a bit of oily grime around the weep hole but nothing dripping. This adapter section of the transfer case, mating up to the transmission, should not have any ATF in it. Leaking out of this weep hole shows there is a shaft seal that is no longer doing its job. There is an internal transfer case shaft seal in this section that should contain the ATF within the transfer case. I haven't seen an exploded view of the transmission but I assume there is a seal at the rear of the transmission as well that would keep ATF out of this section as well. The leak is from one or the other or both seals and it will be a big job to remove the transfer case from the transmission to discover and replace the leaking seal(s).

I recently did a routine ATF exchange on my transmission, draining almost 5qts of old ATF and filling it back up with fresh Castrol Transmax High Mileage ATF plus a 24oz bottle of Lucas Transmission Fix. Both of these products have seal conditioners that help prevent and even stop minor seal leaks. I routinely use the Castrol Transmax High Mileage ATF in my transmission to keep it leak free but I haven't done so with the transfer case since 50K miles ago because I rarely ever use 4WD. I'm starting to think I may have to pay more attention to this and change the ATF in the transfer case again real soon.

The Lucas Transmission Fix "stops slip, hesitation and rough shifting in worn transmissions and completely eliminates most seal leaks", says Lucas Oil and others I have spoken to that swear by it. I have noticed better acceleration response since using the product so it is obvious to me that I had some slight amount of slippage and hesitation in my transmission before using it. I have found the Lucas product's stop leak properties have more positive published testimonies of its effectiveness than high mileage ATF products with seal conditioners. When I get around to draining my transfer case, I'll be filling it back up with 8oz of Lucas Transmission Fix and Castrol Transmax ATF and hope I don't see anymore oily grime around that weep hole.

Micallen
Car: 2003 Nissan Pathfinder SE 4x4 V6

mdmellott wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:39 pm
You made me look at mine. I wasn't sure what you meant by referring to the weep hole but now I see it. Mine has a bit of oily grime around the weep hole but nothing dripping. This adapter section of the transfer case, mating up to the transmission, should not have any ATF in it. Leaking out of this weep hole shows there is a shaft seal that is no longer doing its job. There is an internal transfer case shaft seal in this section that should contain the ATF within the transfer case. I haven't seen an exploded view of the transmission but I assume there is a seal at the rear of the transmission as well that would keep ATF out of this section as well. The leak is from one or the other or both seals and it will be a big job to remove the transfer case from the transmission to discover and replace the leaking seal(s).

I recently did a routine ATF exchange on my transmission, draining almost 5qts of old ATF and filling it back up with fresh Castrol Transmax High Mileage ATF plus a 24oz bottle of Lucas Transmission Fix. Both of these products have seal conditioners that help prevent and even stop minor seal leaks. I routinely use the Castrol Transmax High Mileage ATF in my transmission to keep it leak free but I haven't done so with the transfer case since 50K miles ago because I rarely ever use 4WD. I'm starting to think I may have to pay more attention to this and change the ATF in the transfer case again real soon.

The Lucas Transmission Fix "stops slip, hesitation and rough shifting in worn transmissions and completely eliminates most seal leaks", says Lucas Oil and others I have spoken to that swear by it. I have noticed better acceleration response since using the product so it is obvious to me that I had some slight amount of slippage and hesitation in my transmission before using it. I have found the Lucas product's stop leak properties have more positive published testimonies of its effectiveness than high mileage ATF products with seal conditioners. When I get around to draining my transfer case, I'll be filling it back up with 8oz of Lucas Transmission Fix and Castrol Transmax ATF and hope I don't see anymore oily grime around that weep hole.
Thank you for the response. This is exactly what I will try. I have nothing to lose. After a period of time, I will report back to let you know if the leak has stopped.

The leak is slow enough that it is still reading full on the dipstick after topping it off 6 days ago (maybe 120 miles driven).

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”