Transmission drain questions

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Rockhoundrob
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL

I am getting various answers to some questions I have.

I want to change the transmission fluid on my daughter's 2009 Rogue. She bought it at 209,000 miles.
The transmission seal leaked, so I replaced the seal at 225,000 miles and added about 2- 3 quarts.
Replaced the driver CV axle and seal at 230,000 miles. Same thing... added 2-3 quarts due to what came out when I replaced the seal.

1) Now it has 260,000 miles. When I look at the manual and the internet, I am getting anywhere from 30,000 - 60,000 miles between transmission drain/fill.
So what is it? BTW, daughter is a easy driver and doesn't tow anything.

2) How much comes out when I drain? I am reading anywhere from 5-8 quarts.

3) Based on what I am thinking might as well change the transfer case fluid and differential fluid while I am at it.
So in the future, maybe change the Trans fluid every 50K, and the transfer/diff fluid every 100 K ?

4) I just bought an Autotel scanner/programmer. Will this reset the transmission life when i change the fluid?

5) also, is there a drain plug washer? Nothing was mentioned in the manual, and I don't see anything about it on YouTube.
(Never mind this last question - I see all drain/fill plugs have washers. I looked up Nissan parts on the internet)

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Rockhoundrob wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 5:19 pm
1) Now it has 260,000 miles. When I look at the manual and the internet, I am getting anywhere from 30,000 - 60,000 miles between transmission drain/fill.
So what is it? BTW, daughter is a easy driver and doesn't tow anything.
Should be done at 30K, 60K is okay for the first spill-and-fill on a new car but way too long for periodic maintenance.
Rockhoundrob wrote:
2) How much comes out when I drain? I am reading anywhere from 5-8 quarts.
Usually right around 4 quarts, sometimes more but usually slightly less. Obviously a bit more if you drop the pan.
Rockhoundrob wrote:
3) Based on what I am thinking might as well change the transfer case fluid and differential fluid while I am at it.
So in the future, maybe change the Trans fluid every 50K, and the transfer/diff fluid every 100 K ?
Couldn't hurt, especially with all those miles. I usually recommend 50~60K to my customers after an initial change at 100K.
Rockhoundrob wrote:
4) I just bought an Autotel scanner/programmer. Will this reset the transmission life when i change the fluid?
Probably not, the vast majority of scanners don't speak CVT. The fluid degradation index is useless anyway, the TCM only looks at temperature for the calculation with no accounting for shear load and other stressors. It's frankly dumb unless your tranny is running chronically hot, and if that's the case then you're fixing for issues worse than burnt fluid. If you have a 'Droid phone, by far the best tool is a VeePeak VP11 bluetooth-OBD dongle ($20) and a downloaded copy of CVTz50. I even use CVTz50 for quick scans in our service drive, it's vastly faster than Consult3+ and gives me engine and tranny info from the same app.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

If you have an awd, it has a larger capacity. I have a 2009 too.

I drain & fill straight up 5 quarts all day long.

When I drop the pan, I fill 5 1/2 quarts and work from there.

When I drop the pan and replace the strainer, you will need over 6 quarts and a few ounces here and there to get it right in the middle of the cross hatch. At least for mine. :woot:

I drain & fill every 20k-30k. Sometimes 20k if I’m bored. :bigthumb:

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

casperfun wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 6:37 pm
I drain & fill every 20k-30k. Sometimes 20k if I’m bored. :bigthumb:
You're always good for a chuckle, Casper. Sometimes the only one I get all day, I gotta love ya. :)

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

:domo:

Thanks. You know I never think my advice supersedes yours because I know your the true expert. I’m just a true fan of my indigo blue rogue. Almost bought a Toyota Venzo but those were slightly more expensive.
But loved how the indigo blue looked back in the day.

The great thing about the Rogue is that a regular person can usually do most of the repairs. Definitely an honor and a great satisfaction completing each capable job.

Within a few decades, this will be over since I doubt the regular consumer will be able to repair the electric vehicles of the future which is a downer.

Unless each part is plug and play fixable which I doubt.

I’ve seen a lot of people on this forum come and go since the original 1st generation rogue.

Just proves that the Nissan cvt can be a pretty durable vehicle for over a dozen years.

Definitely this forum and the World Wide Web, yes the WWW was used back in the day for information to help educate people before the commercialization and social media craziness.

Growing up, I basically barely knew how to do an oil change. So the internet was a godsend in helping me maintain my rogue to this day! Amen

So kudos to you before the electrification of the automobile industry.

:fruit:

Rockhoundrob
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL

Thanks everyone!

I'll go with 30K for transmissions and 60K for Diffs and Tranfer case.
That way it's a 2-1 ratio! Easier to keep track.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

:dblthumb:

Return to “Rogue Forum”