General discussion area for the U13-chassis Altima
Rev_D21
Car: 1986.5 D21 LB HD 2WD V6 5Speed
1991 D21 Reg 2WD Auto
1995 D21 Reg 2WD 5Spd
1996 D21 Reg 4WD 5Spd
2012 Versa 1.6S 5-Speed

Long time no see!

Between moving, working retarded hours and other BS I have finally found time to post here.

I post bringing you guys this write up. I will have pics up soon enough.

Hayden 403 Medium Duty Auto Tranny Cooler Install.

The project is half done only because Hayden skimped on the hose line.

First off anyone who owns an auto knows that heat kills. They should also be aware that any kind of racing creates heat. Heat kills/Racing heat=Dead tranny.

I purchased this cooler from Pepboys for about $30. The box contains the cooler(looks like a small radiator), hold down clips and a small length of high pressure hose. Not enough hose to do the project but Haydens intentions were good I guess.

The install is going on my 97 Altima GXE auto. The car has been raced at the track consistantly for the last month. I dont want to destroy my tranny this early yet.

1_First part of the install was easy. Remove front grille. We all know how to do that.

2_Second find a suitable location for the cooler. I picked the passenger side of the condenser. It's a tight fit but the 403 will fit between the PS cooler line and the condenser. Go slow, I mashed a few fins doing this.

3_Once you have the cooler where you want it the box contains straps which go thru the find of the as well as the condenser and radiator. Poke those through and you will see the ends of the straps poking through the back of the radiator. Included with the kit are plastic caps which assist in locking the straps down. Slide these all the way down and trim off any excess plastic from the straps so the fan wont get caught.

4_Running the hoses. The cooler works best in series with the cooling part of the radiator. Take one hose from the radiator cooler and attach it to one port on the Hayden cooler. Now run a new line from the second port or the Hayden cooler back to the tranny.

5_Check for leaks and you are done. Check for leaks after a few hundered miles as well since it needs time to settle into the system.

6_Drink a beer.

Be sure the hose that you run has a burst pressure of atleast 150psi. Hayden only gives you about 3 ft of hose to play with, it doesnt reach anything. Fuel injection hose is not recommended as it has too low a burst pressure rating.

Enjoy a much cooler, longer running transmission. Best $30 you will spend in a while.

Oh and I am back now so get used to see me around here again!

Devin

nlzmo400r
Car: cars

ill have to join you for step 6 sometime, great to have you back

Altiman94
Car: Paintball, cars, outdoor sports

I was goign to install a tranny cooler on my U13 if I hadn't sold it. I had one tranny go out on me and had to get a rebuild. Since I was planning on running N20, I didn't wanna skimp and have to shuck out another 1500 for a second tranny rebuild.

nlzmo400r

i was planning on installing one on a 24o when i purchased one, htey arent' really known to overheat, but when during my build up of hte car should i invest in a tranny cooler

Altiman94
Car: Paintball, cars, outdoor sports

Yeah I would definitely invest in a transmission cooler. Nissan has the weakest and slowest shifting automatic transmissions out of any cars on the market. Honda has been voted with the best engineered automatic and most reliable transmissions in IMport vehicles. It's obvious if you drive a nissan auto and then go drive a honda auto. The honda feels so much stronger.

nlzmo400r

ive driven quite a few honda autos and honestly i thought they shifted slower than my altima (granite it was an o1 civic ex) but it didnt seem to shift any better than my altima, now the auto's in the 24o shifted slow as piss, atleast in the ones ive driven

Return to “1st Generation Altima Sedan (1993-1997)”