transmission blown?

Got questions about your Infiniti? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
bigox777

92 q45. The car was running fine until the other day. I was driving when all of a sudden the rpm's shot up. I pulled over, saw all my trans. fluid leaking from the front, and had it towed to a very reputable trans. shop. They havn't really got into it yet, but they said that it's probably blown. They said about $1700 to fix it and it may need a radiator because theres probably pieces of the cluch in there. Trust them? I need your help quick if you can help me. I just dumped a lot of money into the car. It has 94,000 miles.I just replaced the alternator, fuel pump, master cylinder, ac compressor & dryer, all belts, and more. Has anyone ever had this problem? PS. , I also get my regular trans service done, so the trans has not been neglected.

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Doesn't sound good, but you might want to look at a rebuild by Level 10 in NJ if you can ship the core. Infiniti of Lisle would be a the closest good source. Infiniti of Scottsdale may be more expensive due to distance. Rebuilds by any others have not proven to be durable.

If you don't have an separate oil cooler installed, then replacing the radiator is highly recommended (along with the rubber airflow restrictors on either side). Installing a separate cooler is a must also. The debate is active on aftermarket radiators vs. OEM.

fxjackso

bigox-

Contact me at [email protected] if you might be interested in a Nissan rebuild with about 45K miles. I'm not that far away, in MD. The trans is in my 90Q, you can test drive it. It apparently needs a turbine sensor, an easy repair if it happens to be out of the car. I have a level 10 to swap into my car when I find a buyer.

Fred Jackson

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

You don't need to bother with a new rad, if u put in a tranny cooler (is cheap).

These parts/fragments will just eb blocking the factory set-up "cooler" thru teh radiator but not the actual radiator (unlees it broke that factory element inside the rad which I find difficult to believe.

That way u bypass the clogged factory "cooelr" and pamper your new tranny.

Fred...:)

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

At 94K miles, I would still take a very close look a the condition of the radiator. If it hasn't been regularly flushed and filled with distilled water and the proper anti-freeze solution, it could be less efficient than designed and limiting power in hot weather as its cooling capacity is compromised.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

maxnix wrote:At 94K miles, I would still take a very close look a the condition of the radiator. If it hasn't been regularly flushed and filled with distilled water and the proper anti-freeze solution, it could be less efficient than designed and limiting power in hot weather as its cooling capacity is compromised.

Agreed.

Fred...:)

bigox777

I had replaced the radiator and water pump about a year and 1/2 ago.

90Q45blue
Car: 2006 Honda Accord EX-L

It has been my experience that local transmission shops are not Q experts as much as they claim it's only an over-sized maxima. The rebuild should be done by someone you can trust. If you go with the local shop, make sure you get a really good warranty or else you're better off with the previous suggestions (Lisle, Scottsdale, etc.)

Return to “Infiniti Online Mechanic”