Transmission and gas gauge problems 2010 Cube SL

Home of the Nissan Cube forum and CubeDriver.com
OldCoot
Car: 2010 Cube SL

Hello everyone first post. August 2012 bought certified 2010 Cube with 13K easy miles on it, wealthy old Gent bought it for golfing. Excellent condition condition mucho bells and whistles back up camera, Rockford stereo with sub woofer, etc. I will share the problems in order. First the OEM tires wore way down and 20K miles way to fast since they were in line and kept properly inflated. Fortunately have a good friend in the tire business so replaced with Fusion's very happy with them much more so than the original tires. At 30K miles I began hearing a droning, whining noise when driving at slow speeds. It was a certified used vehicle still under factory warranty so consulted the dealer, mechanic said transmission whining should be replaced. OK, no rebuilding on the CVT so ordered new had it ready in three days. Whining is gone so I'm happy. Approx 1000K miles later same whining is back again dealers chief mechanic said needs another new tranny, ordered new had it back in three days. Whining gone I'm happy. You guessed it, 1000K miles later the whinging is back IMO worse than before. It is now April of 2013 new car warranty expires July of 2013, BUT Nissan extended the warranty on transmissions to 110K miles. Chief mechanic says he is gong to call Nissan and get Nissan tech rep to come take a look see what is going on says drive it he'll call me when to bring it back. Couple days later he calls me said he spoke with the Nissan transmission expert. Said that whine is nothing to worry about it is common to Cubes so drive it and don't worry about it. Fair enough, BUT, I find the whining very annoying and being an old pilot I habitually keep an ear tuned to the mechanics in whatever vehicle I am operating at the time. So, I reckon I have to live with it or trade vehicles. Logical thing to do would be turn on the radio at low speeds. Since I am an OldCoot now 72 years young, Cube has 23K miles on it and I'm retired put about 8K miles a year on it, I would imagine I'll be taking the long dirt nap before the 110K mile extended warranty runs out. The third tranny has been in it about 3K miles now and IMO the whine is getting worse. On to the next problem.

Week ago I topped it off with gas filled up until the nozzle clicked off put 9 plus gals in it. (It holds 13 gals.) Few miles later I glance at the fuel gauge it reads half a tank. Hmmmmm, says I. I never leave the engine running while I take on fuel. Next day still reads half a tank, I drive a couple days out of curiosity go top it off make dad-gum sure it is full to the brim takes three gals gauge still reads half a tank. Called dealer service said 'prolly the sending unit run it down to two or three gals bring it in and they'll fix it. I fully understand they would not be inclined to handle a tank full of fuel, so I say OK. Several days later I have driven 133 miles and the gauge now shows almost empty 65 miles to go. I let it go to empty lights flash say zero fuel left but it keeps going as I expected. I get 26 mpg at 75-80 on the Interstate normal speed 65-70 I get 29-30 mpg, around town half city half highway 32-33 mpg. I checked it with handheld computer and dash figures and it is the same. I call the dealer he said sensor needs replacing not sure about dash light have to check it out. Weird thing, trip miles A&B works, mpg works, but distance to empty and fuel remaining does not work. I got in to Google and found many similar problems with the gas gauge and tranny surging and whining problems. So I reckon the CVT trannys have growing pains and there's a recall on the gas gauge. I run it down to a couple gals I'll take it and let them fix it. Meantime, I am skeptical and carry a three gal gas can for my peace of mind.

Bottom line, I'm happy with my dealer couldn't be nicer always get first class service from them. As for Nissan, they stepped up to the plate and extended the warranty on the CVT trannys by 10K miles so warranting anything for 110K miles is strong. I may be old but I drive it and enjoy it, I do not baby it and I "stick it" frequently. So that's about it from the OldCoot just sharing my driving experience with the Cube. I love it because having arthritis bad in both knees and a bad back I can get in and out and not have to "curl up". On trips it is a great road vehicle seats very comfy sits up high so's you can see out good. At 80 mph rides and drives great hugs the road to and corners real good. When I was a young man I had a Corvette Sting Ray and Porsche Super 75, so I have some idea of how a nice driving handle vehicle behaves. <Grin> Did duty two and a half years at Ramstein AFB, Germany had the Porsche on the AutoBahn and WHOA! Yeah Baby! 'Das what I'm talkin' ' bout!

Looking forward to participating in the forum with you good folks & I wish all good health, inner peace, prosperity, love and happiness. OC

Return to “Cube Forum”