1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Not all games require beefy graphics cards and gamepads and Xbox Live subscriptions. We should discuss the ones that don't.

I'm a fairly decent-caliber nerd, so I've played a nice variety of tabletop, card, miniatures, pen-and-paper, and other times of nerd-type games. Years ago I used to play a lot of Magic. I also played a fair amount of Vampire and other NWoD games. And I dumped a pretty hefty amount of I-still-wonder-where-I-got-it-with-no-job-and-gas-to-pay-for-on-top-in-High-School money into Mechwarrior Dark Age back in the day.

I hadn't really thought about any of that stuff in a while, but recently a friend decided to host a private-ish Magic tournament. It's a draft tourney using the new Innistrad expansion. I actually didn't expect to have much fun with it, but I've been having a blast. I really like the draft setup (buy a fat pack, build what you can, add a booster after each round of the tourney). It keeps everyone on relatively level ground, which benefits me since I haven't played Magic since 2003-ish.

A couple other friends have gotten me into Heroclix, which I've succeeded in spending FAR too much money on. I've got some fun team builds, though. My DC One Million Batman and Doomsday combo is so far undefeated. Batman's a farking badass. He's taken down multiple TEAMS on his own a few times now. He just skulks in the shadows and throws punches in the early game, but then comes out fists flying in the late game. The neatest thing about it is it really feels like you'd expect Batman to feel in a comic, or a movie. The bad guys circle around, queue up, and fall one-by-one. Oh, and I've killed more than a few Supermen with my Doomsday, which always feels nice.

So what non-digital games does everyone else around here play?

Encryptshun
Car: 2005 Xterra

I'm so glad you started this! I'm in to a lot of board games, especially most titles from Fantasy Flight Games, Flying Frog Productions or Rio Grande Games.

I love "light" miniature games like Space Hulk, and I used to play Necromunda, Legions of Steel and Battletech.

I'm a pretty huge paper-and-pen RPG geek, and have played and/or run all the WoD games, Shadowrun, D&D, Call of Cthuhlu, Delta Green, Unknown Armies, Reign, Serenity, Rifts, and Marvel Heroes as well as quite a few others.

I've played Magic, as well as the original Star Wars CCG, and Jihaad.

I go to GenCon Indy every year with my buddies and we end up demoing and playing quite a few titles, often bringing some back with us.

If you haven't check out the D6 Generation podcast -- those dudes know how to do it right. And, if you listen to the one recorded at GenCon Indy 2011, you can hear yours truly. :)

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Ahhh, your Space Hulk reference reminded me of a board game I've been looking forward to:

Super Dungeon Explore.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7oOtvYYisyA

Diablo/JRPG hybrid as a board game. Stereotype RPG classes, a GM running the monsters.

Encryptshun

They have several like that already that are quite good. "Descent", "Return to Castle Ravenloft", and "Mansions of Madness" are all player co-op vs GM games.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I REALLY want to try Mansions of Madness. Arkham Horror is excellent but games take so long I've never actually finished one.

Encryptshun

Mansions takes about 6 hours to play through unless everyone really knows how to play and the GM is spot-on.

I've never played in an Arkham Horror game that lasted longer than 2 hours, and usually they run about 1.5. Adding expansions does increase the time, though, since you have to split your manpower accordingly. :)

BusyBadger
Car: '92 Nissan 240SX
'05 Nissan 350Z
'13 Nissan Juke

Holy Crap MoD - what a mindreader! I almost started a board game thread yesterday after re-reading the rules for A Touch of Evil from Flying Frog Games.

Some other highlights of my collection are Descent from FFG (with a couple of expansions), the most recent version of Space Hulk from GW (I know, I know...I owe you something), Fury of Dracula from FFG (acquired from GW) and Pandemic - good co-op play. I've got a pirate army (unpainted) for WarMachine and a wood elf warband (all primed, some base colours painted) for Warhammer.

At this point though I'd consider myself a board game collector and not a player, can't remember the last time I played anything. There's a reason for this though...

When I lived in Bloomington (IN) a friend of mine and I had a massive 4x8 gaming table in the middle of our house with loads of minis and terrain ready to go. The local game store would sometimes call and ask to borrow stuff for the local "Games Day". :chuckle: Anyway, word got out that we had the Cadillac of gaming setups and all sorts of uwashed, maladjusted, socially inept gamers (I was in my late 20's at the time) sought ways to garner entry into our game haven. We made decision then that our time was too valuable to waste gaming with someone that we wouldn't just go out and have a beer with. It's a philosophy that I still adhere to.

Encryptshun

I'm beginning to think the three of us are some sort of collective intelligence.

I consider myself a gamer snob. :chuckle: I, too, do not game with people I wouldn't go have a beer with.

Return to “Gaming”