Transfer fluid and differential gear oil maintenance?

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
NoTalentLoser

I'm taking my M37x to a very well-reputed local mechanic tomorrow to have some minor brake work completed (remember the scraping sound I posted about a couple weeks ago?), as well as to have an alignment performed and fluids checked/re-filled. They'll be taking care of the oil change, as well (have decided to go with Pennzoil Ultra Platinum).

I just have a few quick questions regarding maintenance of the transfer fluid & differential gear oil; I checked the manual but couldn't find much of anything regarding these particular fluids. The car has approximately 40.5k miles on it; should I plan on having these fluids changed/filled tomorrow, or does Infiniti consider them to be "lifetime fills," much as they do the transmission fluid? I see that most of the members here recommend having the transmission fluid flushed at the 60k-70k miles interval -- should I just plan on having the transfer fluid and diff. gear oils changed at that particular service interval, as well?

Thanks...

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

I did mine every 50k...car had 140k when I traded it in, and was ridden hard. No issues, ever.

NoTalentLoser

IlyaKol wrote:I did mine every 50k...car had 140k when I traded it in, and was ridden hard. No issues, ever.
Thanks. But do you know if the transfer case and differentials are both sealed compartments? If so, would it be necessary to take the car to a Nissan/Infiniti dealership to have those fluids changed, or should I let the mechanic take care of them tomorrow?

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

No, they aren't sealed. You can do them at home, if you like messes. lol.

SmoovC
Car: '06 M45 Premium, Brakemotive, H-Techs, KYB's, USA-Spec PA15-INFI w/ BT streaming, Kuda cell mount, Magnaflow exhaust. (CAR SOLD)

Current: 2012 M56S, Harbour Blue, 4 pc Aero Kit

The Infiniti service & maintenance guide recommends changing the differential and transfer case as an "optional premium upgrade" at 30k, 60k, 90k and 120k. I could not see where it is "required", although I think it is prudent to follow their recommendation; for trouble-free long term ownership.

SwissCheeseHead
Car: 11 M37x, 94 BMW 530i

I posted on your other thread here.
http://www.myg37.com/forums/the-m-spot/ ... ost3850725

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

SmoovC wrote:The Infiniti service & maintenance guide recommends changing the differential and transfer case as an "optional premium upgrade" at 30k, 60k, 90k and 120k. I could not see where it is "required", although I think it is prudent to follow their recommendation; for trouble-free long term ownership.
Yeah! I always try to keep my cars for a long time, so do similar things. My current 2003 M45 was purchased new in Sept of 2003, and now has 158k miles on it.

So, I tend to change all liquids in my car at 30k intervals. So, the transmission fluid, brake fluid, engine coolant, fan fluid, power steering, differential gear oil, etc., all get replaced at those times.

I do try to spread it a bit over two, rarely three, service intervals (i.e., at the 30000 and 33750 intervals) to keep the cost per service down a bit.

Z

securityguy
Car: 2012 M37x

szh...you're a dealers dream and all they see are $$$$$ signs when you pull in. I agree with taking care of car but changing out all of the fluids you stated above every 30K miles is a waste of hard earned money according to my dealer whose a good friend.

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

securityguy wrote:szh...you're a dealers dream and all they see are $$$$$ signs when you pull in. I agree with taking care of car but changing out all of the fluids you stated above every 30K miles is a waste of hard earned money according to my dealer whose a good friend.
Perhaps. :biggrin:

But it is also the reason that I can keep my cars for many years (having been a driver for about 42 years now). My 2003 M45 is 11 years old, with almost 160k miles on it and the engine and transmission run great.

Also, to me, brake fluid every 30k miles is a non-optional change - good brakes, treads above 3/32" (and the best tires that I can afford) is what can saves lives under certain adverse situations. :yesnod

Cosmetic things I tend to let slide. Door dings, broken seats, perfect wheels, don't matter to me ... but performance, handling, and braking are vitally important.

Z

gwoods
Car: 2013 Infiniti M37x
1999 Nissan Altima SE limited 5spd
1992 Miata (soon to be turbo)
1965 Cj-5 with 327 v8
2012 Toyota Sequoia Limited

My dealer charges about $300 to change tcase and transmission fluid I did it in December at 54k miles. The dealer also put felt tape around my Takeda long tube intake filter mod for free to stop it from resonating

InfinitiAce
Car: 2011 Infiniti M37 w/ premium, touring, technology
2012 Infiniti M37 w/ premium, touring

I just had my transmission flushed and filled at 50,000 miles. Now that I am re-reading my manual, it says that the transmission fluid should not be changed on an Infiniti with a 7 speed automatic transmission. Am I in trouble? I know the mechanic did use same fluid as the dealer.

Ilya

InfinitiAce wrote:I just had my transmission flushed and filled at 50,000 miles. Now that I am re-reading my manual, it says that the transmission fluid should not be changed on an Infiniti with a 7 speed automatic transmission. Am I in trouble? I know the mechanic did use same fluid as the dealer.
That makes zero sense. I've never heard anything like that before. I'd say your fine.

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”