Transfer Case Delay with AWD???

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
mikey1951
Car: 2008 EX 35

What is normal for an AWD delay for the 08 EX35 Journey -- this is usually the slight delay after putting in D or take off at idle. I am about to have the fluids changed and I wondered if there is a programming adjustment for the transmission/transfer case system???
Last edited by Rogue One on Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: TYPO

centralcoaster33
Car: 240SX #5-1997

A delay for what? Are you going to 4 on the fly and power is lost or you're stopped and switching to AWD and don't hear the transfer case motor moving or you're stopped, switch to AWD and hit the gas to get a delay then go? Sorry, just trying to understand the issue.

NJGuy
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD

It appears that the AWD EX uses Nissan's ATTESA E-TS system, which is pretty much RWD until it detects a certain amount of slippage (from the wheel speed sensors) of the rear wheels. When that happens, the system activates the transfer case to move some of the power to the front wheels. Then there's also the "snow" button in our EX's with AWD, which has its own programming for engine and transmission control. When snow mode is engaged, I believe the car transfers power to the front wheels almost all the time. The snow button also slows throttle response a bit, so there may be more of a delay in acceleration when you hit the gas.

My guess is that the programming is coded into the car's computers and the individual settings cannot be modified at the dealership level. The only exceptions I can think of are: 1. if there is some type of software update from Infiniti, but it probably wouldn't allow customized settings; or 2. if there is there is a performance shop that knows how to tweak the parameters. I never had any interest in changing the OEM settings of the ATTESA system, so I don't know for sure if it's ever been done on cars like ours.

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”