Transfer Case Bearing and Seal

A forum for the legendary Nissan Pathfinder and Infiniti QX4.
Scrotch
Car: 1999.5 Nissan Pathfinder LE

Hello, I have been trying to get rid of vibration in the front end from 70 kmh to 105 kmh. Vibration goes away after 105 kmh. Thought it might be low fluids. Changed Front Diff Fluid, could not change Transfer Case Fluid due to seized Drain Plug but checking the fill plug the fluid was at correct level and appeared to be clean. Changing fluids did not solve Vibration so I replaced the Front tires and had All balanced. Still had the vibration. It was suggested to remove Front Drive Shaft. I did that and the Vibration went away. The Universals on the front shaft were changed and Drive Shaft re installed. Still have the same Vibration. I seem to get some up and down play on Drive Shaft Flange on Transfer Case. Suspect Bearing (No Leakage) and new seal but not sure if this will solve problem. Any suggestions to solving this Vibration would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

JayArras
Car: 2013 Pathfinder SL Premium

Ya mind telling us what year Pathy you have?

Scrotch

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

Sounds to me like you did all you could to isolate the issue. I suspect the bearings as well. There should not be any noticeable end play at the drive shaft flange on the transfer case. There is a front and rear bearing in the transfer case for the front drive shaft. Both are suspect. To replace them requires the transfer case to be disassembled. The factory service manual has a good write up for overhauling the transfer case and specialty tools that would be needed.
https://www.nicoclub.com/service-manual ... 999/tf.pdf

Scrotch

Thanks for your reply. Much appreciated. Can the Outer Bearing (closest to the flange) be changed without total disassembly? If so would changing the just Outer bearing provide enough support/stability to get by till total rebuild in the future? I can go without Front shaft till winter but will definitely want to use then. Ottawa Valley can get nasty. Thanks

mdmellott
Car: '13 Kia Soul+ 2.0L AT
'02 Pathfinder SE 3.5L AT P/4WD

Those bearings are pressed onto the drive shaft in the transfer case. The bearing and shaft assembly needs to be removed from the disassembled case in order to use a puller to take the bearings off of the shaft.

Scrotch

Thank you. Another project.

Scrotch

Found used Front Drive shaft cheap $27 (Kenny U-Pull) so I replaced mine and Vibration is gone. Will now put new U-Joints on it and hope to enjoy driving it for a bit longer. There was still no sign of any leakage or noise from transfer case and works very smoothly. Not noticing play at Transfer Case Flange as I was before but will monitor situation. Hoping to keep it as my weekend vehicle but with gas prices these days $1.30 a litre for regular and wanting to travel as soon as we can, it's time to find something a bit more efficient and reliable.

Return to “Nissan Pathfinder Forum / Infiniti QX4 Forum”