Trans Flush with out filter change?

A General Discussion forum for cars and other topics, and a great place to introduce yourself if you are new to NICO!
DDWQ45T
Car: Cars, Motorcycles, Recumbent Bicycles

Was chatting with the service writer at the local Infiniti dealer about transmission flushes.

He said that they do not change the filter when they flush the transmission. Says they don't need to, with the high-pressure machine that they use.

This sounds sort of rediculous to me, but I thought I'd check here.

Cheers,

Dana

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

You are right.

I could make a long post on this, but I would just be paraphrasing Dennis (aka Q45tech), so I'll just wait until he come on and gives you the "411".

Fred...:)

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

The machine doesn't add pressure to the system... it uses your transmission's internal pump. The machine just collects the old fluid coming out of the pump pushes out the new fluid at the same rate from the pressure of the old fluid.

If they're doing the flush correctly, they add a chemical cleaner to loosen any grime and varnish in the system and run the car in each gear on the lift at about 1500 RPM for about 5 minutes each. Then do the fluid exchange. Then the pan drop to change the filter screen and remove any of the metallic debris from the magnet in the bottom of the transmission pan.

Without changing the filter screen, the stuff that's loosened up with the chemical flush can clog up and restrict the fluid flow in the transmission. We heard of one Q that started having strange transmission behavior after a flush at Jerry Tucker's. After doing the pan drop and filter replacement, everything worked fine again.

I just wouldn't take a chance with it.

People have some strange ideas about transmission flushes - but the evidence is that clean fluid in a good flowing system is best. Q45Tech's 180K+ transmission that still performed almost as new, is a good example of what excellent care can do for the transmission.

In your case I'd just insist on the pan drop after the fluid exchange. I'm sure they'll let you spend the $$ if you want to!

Heath

ardvarkus

I've posted this a few times- but the first for this new forum...

It is clear that the filter IS NOT CLEANABLE. Even when it is REMOVED FROM THE TRANS AND CLEANED, so how does the writer expect it to be done by a machine. He is either lazy or ignorant (or conditioned by prior customers looking for the cheap way out?)

Check out:

http://www.atcdg.com/TechBulletins/bull_153.htm

This is a tech bulletin from a manufacturer of trans rebuild kits.... they ought to know.

Adam

crubio
Car: cars, karate, reading

You must change the filter. I was getting ready to buy a new tranny (it was slipping ) I had just had the tranny service without the filter replacement (Jerry Tucker) and it almost felt worse. I had Jerry Tucker replace the filter and the tranny started functioning normaly, because the old filter was clogged. The guy at the dealer is wrong. The guy at the dealer here in San Diego said the same thing ("you dont need a new filter we can clean it good as new"). Jerry Tucker said he is ammending his normal tranny service to always include a new filter. It takes the tranny service price from $85 to $125 big deal. Just do a pan drop and replace the filter, the filter is only $19.

good luck

crubio

DenverQ
Car: Tryin to make a living, Driving/Fixing my Q and my Beautiful Baby girl =)

I just called my infiniti dealer (infiniti of Denver) and they said they dont replace the filter. =( that makes me kinda worried that i know more about maintenece then my dealer. I hope i can find someone competent to do it since I cannot do it myself :mad:

ardvarkus

DenverQ wrote:I just called my infiniti dealer (infiniti of Denver) and they said they dont replace the filter. =( that makes me kinda worried that i know more about maintenece then my dealer. I hope i can find someone competent to do it since I cannot do it myself :mad:
When the dealer says: "Oh, we don't replace the filter when we flush the syste."

Is he saying "We WON'T CHANGE THE FILTER, no matter what you want."

or is he saying, "we don't usually change the filter, but if you insist we will."

I'd just insist- print out the link I found- and tell them to do it. Period.

Has anybody found a dealer that flat out refuses the work???

Adam

Q45tech
Car: 1990 Q45 342,400 miles 22 years ownership with original engine
1995 G20t 5 speed 334,000 miles 16" 2002 wheels - 205/50/16 Sr20ve vvl

Don't assume that even the best service writer , technican, or service manger at some dealerships KNOWS as much about 90-93 Q PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE or life extension as some of the members on this board.

Many of the real old day one guys left dealerships during the famine of 1996-2000.

Extra maintenance beyond 30k/60 k service is almost never offered - but lately the dealerships have bought AT flush machines to compete with independents.

Don't even think of discussing drilled rotors or special pads or synthetic or different weight fluids or performane engine items or springs, shocks, sway bars they won't have a clue.

greg_atlanta
Car: 2008 G35 Journey Sedan, silver/black (no sunroof), 1992 Q45 (in a past life)

Also, remember that overkill on preventative maintenance is not in the dealer's best interest. They make A LOT more money when your car shows up needing a new transmission, which they can turn into a $5,000+ job if they want to.

All the cushy "don't worry about it, partner!" talk just butters you up to drop the big bucks when something big does go wrong.

But never blame the dealer for being this way.... they have a business to run, and they're going to do what it takes to make the business profitable. We do the same thing with whatever business we run too.

DDWQ45T

Glad I asked!

Hey, so I'm going to take it in for a "60,000" mile service, and will insist on the pan drop and filter change with the flush.

I had also asked if they change the PCV valve at a $60K service (this is Discover Infiniti in San Diego, btw). The SW said they never do, but I seem to remember PCV valves getting pretty gummy at $60K, so will have it included. Is there anything else, while I have it in? Here is the plan so far:

1. Engine flush/Oil/Filter change: (have to bring my own synthetic oil)2. Trans flush, with pan-drop and filter.3. Change tires/balance/4 wheel alignment4. Battery service5. Replace Fuel Filter6. Replace Air Filter7. Throttle body service8. Replace spark plugs9. Flush cooling system10. Replace diff. fluid (bring my own synthetic)11. Replace drive belts12. Replace Airconditioning intake filter13. Their list of inpections and topoffs.

I was also considering changing out the upper/lower radiator hoses, and heater hoses, since it is a 1998.

They get about $1200 for the above, not including the pan-drop/filter on the trans or hoses. I think Jerry Tucker would be cheaper, but I'd almost rather manage a dealer who has an extended warranty on the car, if I don't have to pay too much more.

I could do it myself I guess, but I don't really want to, nor do I have the trans. flush machine handy.

Thanks for all the input!

ardvarkus

DDWQ45T wrote: I think Jerry Tucker would be cheaper, but I'd almost rather manage a dealer who has an extended warranty on the car, if I don't have to pay too much more.
So, what exactly will you be 'managing'??

I'd say jerry tucker is more likely to find warranty work you can bring it back to the dealer to do....

DDWQ45T

By "managing" I mean getting done what I want done, when I want it done, with the least amount of hassel.

An example might include a Mercedes dealer who kept chasing leaks in an AC system for me. After a condensor, evaporator, and expansion valve at my expense, I "managed" to get the dealer to kick in a free compressor to finish the job, after it leaked down a third time over a 9 month period. It was expensive, and mildly obnoxious, but the loaner car offset some of the annoyance. I don't think I could have talked and independent into a $1,000 compressor and $250 worth of R12 for free, no matter how guilty they felt about not curing the leak. (yeah, maybe a good independant would have found the leak the first time, if it was the only leak.)

I would also expect an Infiniti dealer who has been making some money on overpriced maintenances to be somewhat more lenient on warranty interpretations, compared to one that only sees you when there is a warranty claim.

Some of it just comes down to time and convenience. Its easier to drop a car at a dealer, drive off in a loaner, and bring it back when it is done. Convenience is expensive, but if you can get competentence and convenience together it is addictive.

ardvarkus

DDWQ45T wrote: if you can get competentence and convenience together it is addictive.
Sure- just hard to tell if you're getting competence... especially if the dealer tries to tell you not to bother with a filter/screen change!

Of course, he is just one guy and not the one with the wrench, I suppose.

Adam

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

DenverQ wrote:=( that makes me kinda worried that i know more about maintenece then my dealer.
Q45tech wrote:Don't assume that even the best service writer , technican, or service manger at some dealerships KNOWS as much about 90-93 Q PREVENTATIVE MAINTENANCE or life extension as some of the members on this board.

Many of the real old day one guys left dealerships during the famine of 1996-2000.
Isn't this the truth!! I talked to the latest service advisor at Dic-k (filter is still on) Smith Infiniti last November or December - she's supposedly an ASE Certified Master Tech. specializing in Toyota racing boat engines. Never heard of the timing chain guide issue... I don't think they see too many 90-93 Q's at the dealer anymore.

Heath

crubio
Car: cars, karate, reading

If you are in the SD area, just go to Jerrry Tucker. You will save money, he knows all about Q's (I have a bone stock 90 that hauls butt), he is open to research analysis, he can probably honor you warranty, he is a good man. Their are around three Discover Infinity dealerships in SD ( Carlsbad, Kearny Mesa, Escondido) more are popping up, all called Discover, all very different. I play them off against each other with knowledge and part numbers... and Scottsdale Infiniti. I get some great deals on parts, but I have JT work on my car.

May the force be with you

crubio

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Might want to add a brake system flush if fluid older than one year, certainly two. Recommend a DOT4 repalcement. Not DOT 5.1.

Some dealers have a flush machine for the steering rack. Replace with synthetic ATF of your choice.

DDWQ45T

The Q is Happy!

Did the dealership thing at Discover Infiniti on the 60,000 mile service. Added in the pan drop and filter change, swapped out the hoses, belts, brake fluid, and all the other good stuff listed above in this thread. They did not have a steering rack flush machine, so skipped it for now.

Made them save the plugs so I could take a look at how they were burning. Nice light tan with very little in the way of deposits. Ignition systems have sure come a long way from the old breaker points days!

Also swapped 4 new Michelin Pilot XTG V 225/60/16's on (from the tirerack.com), and got an alignment done. They seem to have done a nice job on balancing the wheels. No visible weights on the outside, and smooth as silk up to 90 at least. Have not taken it higher since picking it up.

SW swore to the end that the trans filter change was not necessary and that the factory discouraged it, but relented and took the money to do it anyway.

We won't even go into what the final price was. I will check out Jerry Tucker eventually.

Got the power lumbar support drive in one of the seats replaced under the extended warranty. Saved about $500. The warranty thing is good. Only one more $500 repair over the next 4 years, and it will be a break even. (yes the seat repair was mandatory; it was on the wife's seat)

Also got a free new alternator on the diode recall. Probably should have waited till it failed, but it's done now.

Since they had to order the seat part, they kept the car for 3 days. It was fun having a new I35 to zip around in, but the Q felt really good in comparison when I picked it up.

Overall the dealer was brutally expensive, and a little obtuse about a couple of items, but they seem to have done what I wanted in a reasonably competent fashion. It was nice getting the loaner, and they did a pretty thorough detail job on the car as part of the service.

Life is good.

Return to “General Chat”