Trans bolt stuck

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Dosmastr
Car: 2011 Nissan Rogue SV

Hi all,

I have the cvt drained and was about to drop the pan to do the strainer annnd... Oooh.... That bolt is going to snap... I can feel it.

Its the harder to reach one up in the corner.

Is it the end of the world to not do the strainer?
I'm not trying to be creating metal filings drilling out a bolt right near a trans... And that's assuming I felt comfortable and able to do that.

Fluid actually looks like newish motor oil. Not bad but not brand new. Smells very similar to the new stuff. Slightly darker.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

It's not the end of the world. The vast majority of the shavings in a CVT end up on the pan magnets, and the little varnish that builds up in a clean unit also tends to precipitate out in the pan. I doubt there's any harm in leaving well enough alone.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

Take 1 part atf fluid and 1 part acetone or paint thinner. Grab a toothbrush and paint/drench that bolt. Do every 15-20 min. Let it set for a few hours or overnight.

It will come off. Way better than in- store penetrating fluid.

Won't work on rounded bolts. Which happened with my last bolt on my exhaust manifold heat shield. So ended up using a grinder on that bolt.:bang

Dosmastr

Next question is I got a little bit more than 5 quarts out of it which after trolling these forms seems like a little much.

I took it for a 5min spin. floored it for a little bit. seems okay motor got up to operting temperature I don't know if the transmission did, but the fluid levels right in middle

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Yep, a full 5 is higher than usual. Dunno the history, maybe it was overfilled?

Dosmastr

Yeah maybe, didn't notice any difference. The vibration at high rpm and load was a little different but that's it.

Dosmastr

VStar650CL wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:39 pm
Yep, a full 5 is higher than usual. Dunno the history, maybe it was overfilled?
Is your estimate based in vehicle being level?
I only have 2 jack stands so the front was high.
I estimate I'm at most 3/4 qt below where it was. Probably closer to. 25-.5 below
It just about completely filled up an Old 5-quart oil jug with some spillage.

I tell you what, finding level ground to take any kind of measurements is is a major pain in the a**.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Actually, if you only have 2 stands, finding a slight downhill to jack the car on is the easy way to get the tranny level. Yes, that estimate is based on a level tranny. The way they're laid out, I expect you'd get a bit more if it was jacked in front, so that might well explain it.

Return to “Rogue Forum”