Tranny service, tension rod and a few others for a newbie

A Q45 forum / Cima forum for the President of Infiniti's lineup. Brought to you by Infiniti Parts USA, your OEM source for Q45 parts!
sadams
Car: 99 Q45, 97 Ford F250, 98 Dodge GC Sport, 79 MG Midget

Hello everyone, I'm the guy that was posting a bunch of questions a few weeks ago while getting ready to purchase a 1999 Q45 with 142K from a local dealer. Well, I did it! This is a sweet ride. I've never had a car this nice so noone really knows how to react when I make them take their shoes off upon entry! I have a couple of questions and need some reaffirmation on a few items, I hope y'all can help.

1) What is the best manual/resource for seeing some diagrams of the Q. Is there a popular shop manual out there? I get a lot of good info on the forums but then when I execute I like some good detailed pics/instructions just to keep me on track. I am deathly afraid of breaking things in the process of fixing them (I am a computer network engineer, I get it honest). When I get into a project I don't want to keep coming back to you guys saying "should I take this off first?" and "what about, etc?"

2) I am concerned about the tranny b/c of the following:--142000 miles (highway, but 142000 nonetheless)--fluid is light pink on a paper towel, not red (like cheap Dexron), not brown, black or burnt smell, I found this thread from Jesda in the archives where he had the same stuff: zerothread?id=42433--there is a slight drag from 1-2 if I am driving slow, low rpm, it lessens or goes away when changing at higher rpms. Upper gears are fine and this is a drag between gears, not a slip or "clunk", either way I feel it and cringe

Could it be that the fluid has broken down over time? I have the dealer service records for this ride and it never specifically SAYS "transmission serviced" but it has "SCHED MAINT PERFORMED" at 30-60-90-120 (also oil changes every 3K) and there are exceptions noted when other stuff was fixed during those shop visits. I "assumed" (pls don't flame) that meant tranny too since Infiniti would do it by the book??? :::sheepish grin:::

My thought is to get a filter and gasket and XX quarts of Mobil 1 ATF and do a quick fluid/filter/gasket change, and pan/magnet cleaning and go from there based on how that looks, maybe take in to the local dealer for a "real" flush after a few months. At least my ATF would "redden up" some. Any thoughts? How much fluid? What special equipment do they have and use? Last but not least on the tranny subject, where can I find a tranny fluid cooler? I looked on everythinginfiniti.com but didn't see it. May not be OEM.

Also is BG the fluid manufacturer for the flush products? I see BG flush a lot in posts and replies but haven't been able to find any direct discussion on it (site won't search on 2 letter words).

3) The last entry on the maint records say "TENSION RODS CRACKED, REC REPL SOON". That was about 15K ago. I've read several posts about the rods and it seems to be the bushing is the problem (leaking silicone?) but they have to be pressed out and it may be easier to replace the whole rod. It looks like the $80 rod comes w/ the $30 bushing so 100 smackers to save pressing out bushings (possibly breaking something:-). Will this require realignment, camber adjustment etc to get back working right after replacement? Any special tools required?

4) Is ordering from "Joe" and "everythinginfiniti.com" the same thing? I see a lot of references to both on the site and want to make sure I am going to the right place.

5) What is the "plenum" you guys talk about?

6) If anyone reading this is personal with Stacey (NicoMOM) please give her my regards and a few soft pats on the back. I have a few people in my realm and family that have been hit hard by cancer and survived, but it was tough, really tough. We will be praying for them.

Sorry so many questions. I'll slow down when I get a manual and go bottomside and see what she's all about. Until then I'm just kindof collecting my thoughts and getting comfortable (and ok, jonesin', maybe a bit).

sadams

DANG! I didn't realize that was that long, preview didn't look too bad. Upfront thankyou, thankyou, thankyou to anyone who reads all the way through it!!!!

DominickJ30
Car: 1993 Infiniti J30t

The best is the FSM(Factory Service Manual) You can probably find one on ebay.

Transmission service should have been included in the scheadule maintenance. But since it was not done in almost 30k miles I would do it soon.

Joe is the parts guy at Infiniti of Scottsdale(everythinginfiniti.com)

The 'plenum' is the air intake for the engine.

Q451990
Car: 1990 Q45 - 118K, 2022 Toyota 4 Runner, 2004 Frontier M/T - 108K, 2012 Xterra (Mom's), 2023 Rogue (Inlaws)

1) You should get the Factory Service Manual (FSM). Download it and all TSBs (Technical Service Bullitens) at http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/infiniti with the one day viewing subscription. You can then save the manual section by section as .pdf files. The cost is $20 - probably cheaper than buying a printed copy, and I like the fact that you can print what you need, get it all greasy, and then toss it. Just be sure to have several hours and a high speed connection to accomplish this.

2) BG manufactures various automotive additives, cleaners, and flushes. BG44K is an injector cleaner you'll see mentioned. Check them out at http://www.bgprod.com

I would find a shop that has the BG transmission flush machine and do the following. Have them run the cleaner (flush) through the system. This involves pouring it in, putting the car up on the rack, and driving it in each gear for 5-10 minutes at 1500 RPM with both wheels off the ground. Then do an immediate flush with standard ATF. Follow that with a pan drop and cleaning with a new filter and gasket. Then have a new flush done with Mobil 1 ATF. Should cost about $250-300 total. That's your best chance of getting everything cleaned out and a good batch of Mobil 1 ATF in there. The transmission cooler is aftermarket. Most here like the B&M model that have been referenced here several times - I don't remember it right off hand. Most agree that mounting it to the radiator in the gap between it and the A/C condensor is the best option.

3) No special tools needed if you replace the rods and bushings as a unit. An alignment is probably not necessary, but it wouldn't hurt to have it checked.

4) Joe = http://www.everythinginfiniti.com = Infinti of Scottsdale = 1-888-216-5328

5) On the 90-96 Q it's the spider looking upper intake manifold. I think your Q has a simpler design.

Good luck!

Heath

sadams

Thanks Heath and Dominick, good stuff!

(thanks for taking the time to read all that!)

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Download the FSM and TSB. Order the tension rod bushings form Joe and replace your failed ones. Schedule all fluid replacements and add an ATF cooler when you do.

Read the previous posts, especially all by Q45tech.

sadams

Thanks M, Q45Tech has a lot of good stuff on here. I think I'm going to try to get it in to the T3 shop for a looksee next time I am in Hotlanta.

Return to “Q45 Forum / Cima Forum”