Tranny flare 2001 Maximal

The club for Nissan Maxima and Infiniti I30 / I35 owners, and the official home of Maxima Club of America!
Westie13
Car: Nissan Maxima 2001

I've been living with this for almost two years. It flares between 1-2, always, regardless of whether the engine is hot or cold. I try to gently baby it through these gears to minimize the flaring/hopping. It happened around the same time I took it in to a repair shop to have some sensor work done. This was at around 45000 miles; it now has about 75000 miles on it. I inherited this vehicle from my Dad, and can't afford to put thousands of dollars into it. I do need it to get me up and down a mountain three times a week to work. I would welcome any thoughts or advice. I change the oil about every 3000 miles.

macgiver

mac here, it may have to do with "that repair shop" don't go back there until you try a few things - maybe never go back there , if you know what I mean . This advice I'm giving you is virtually THE DeFacto way ( by REAL transmission shops ,honest mechanics , actual "Dealer diagnostic sequence" ) here it is : simply a pan drop & drain (no bulls%$t flush or especially NOT "power flush" ) and reinstall with FACTORY filter/screen and the EXACT FACTORY FLUID , ie. in this case may be Nissan -D ?? or whatever INFINITI/Nissan spec in the owner's manual of your particular year , and get it at the dealer. I personally do this w/ the beginnings of a trans. problem only because if not nipped in the bud / or regularly do drain'n filter (every 35-40k changes) your really talking possible /probable R & R rebuild or "used" . So critical , if you can do yourself , w/ mechanic friend etc. You see and "Know" the work that's done , or even going somewhere they're not paranoid if you sort of "bird dog " them. But definitely that repair shop you mentioned must not be in the equation again ever on this . One suggestion if you don't get bonafide Nissan-D or whatever's Owner Man. specifies - I have had virtually "back to normal" trans. operation with Castrol "for Japanese foreign imports" and going by Castrol's exact - usually a Dexron type -(II, III,IV,V etc.) designation in your manual ,but the price difference of a couple of bucks go get dealer fluid ! There WILL be pieces in your pan , that's normal. If if it looks "fibery" like black coconut flakes the torque converter can shed ( mine went another 80k mi , because I did change?). If it is/was really dirty- take note and if this procedure helped significantly , and appears you've "nipped the bud" , then it is totally worth it to do again soon like next year , like in 8-14kmi because your only doing a 70% exchange, approximately .Keep in mind the unscrupulous shop will"TELL" you a horror story without you seeing , or after they "slapped it back together" and so if you can DIY & w/help you will have probably removed that "mystery" out of the equation too . Glen 11/18/2017 :cool:

Return to “Maxima Forum & I30 / I35 Forum”