Trailer pre-wire harness ground value

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
roguetoad
Car: 08 SL AWD

We've got it all hooked up right (even verified by Nissan tech), but can't get right turn signal ro work unless the lights are on.

Normally I'd think this was a ground resistance problem, so my question is:

Shouldn't I get a near-zero ohms reading on the ground circuit?

I don't. It's 24 ohms from the pre-wire harness to various good ground points on the car (on a Fluke 26III, so that should be an accurate number).

FYI: there's good current going in and out of the converter, but still no right blinker.

Anyone know where that factory pre-wire harness starts, and where it grounds to? Fuse box? Elsewhere?

Searches come up nada here and on Google. The SB isn't any help, either. Nor is the FSM (at least as far as we can find).

TIA

philipa_240sx

I don't think I can help. I used the chassis ground for my converter instead of the one on the prewire. There is a ground lug near the LH taillight inside the hatch, just behind the plastic trim. This is what I used and it worked no prob.

roguetoad

Thanks!

I've been thinking I'd cut the pre-wire ground and go to that one left side. I know it's nitpicking, but the run to there is so short and since everything else checks out OK. I can always re-splice if I had to.

bkpsu
Car: '08 Nissan Rogue SL AWD

I don't have experience on trailer wiring, so I may be out in left field, but does each signal have a separate ground wire, or is it a common ground? If it's a common ground, then all your signals wouldn't work, not only the right turn. Besides, 24 ohms isn't high enough to stop your light from working.

I'd check the signal wiring itself on the trailer. If you can, disconnect the right-turn signal wire, jumper it to the trailer chassis, and check for continuity at the light assembly (measuring between the chassis and the light-bulb socket).

Also, try swapping in the left and right turn signal bulbs, see if the fault moves over (bad light-bulb).

Good luck!

roguetoad

Thanks for your reply...the above is not connected to trailer, but using an ohm meter.

There are separate grounds for each light.

I have seen cases where 24 will affect stuff, but usually something more complicated than a trailer converter.

Tried the bulb bit before I posted.

When I get the chance I'll try the ground shunt thing and see what happens. Just takes some clips and a pigtail.

Return to “Rogue Forum”