Tpms reset after a flat tire repair

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Gjfleury
Car: 2014 Nissan Rogue

Hi,
How do i reset the tpms on my 2014 nissan rogue after a flat tire repair?
I got a flat tire and it went down to 10 psi. The system displayed a warning telling me that i had a flat tire. I stopped at a local small garage and they plugged the tire and filled it with 31psi. I drove home and although it now showed the correct pressure in the repaired tire, when i start the car, it still shows that warning light on the dash and the message reads that I have a flat tire and to bring it to the dealer. The "tpms warning system" somehow needs to know that there is now 31 lbs of air in the tire even though it shows the value of 31psi on the centre display where it shows the pressure for all the tires.
How do I reset the system?
The dealership said to bring it to them and they will charge me in excess of $115 and they will force reset the warning message and tire light.
This makes no sense that this is the only way to reset the tpms system after a simple reduction of tire pressure in a tire below a low threshold and then it's subsequent refill!
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you

macgiver

mac, First of all we all know your not paying the Stealer the$115 , now sometimes it takes time ,like so many starts & runs - give another couple of days to "Try". Unless you really need it online either because it's only a "any wheel warning" instead of "independant 4-wheel" , OR you drive through "Roofing nail ally" every day :lolling: If it's your 2014 , probably didn't "just go bad". Now tire shops will have one of the couple of different systems' "black-boxes" to go , kick that wheel into the 'system' again.
If your patient and just wait say 3-days till weekend , to where it works , or NOW you have Saturday togoto a tireshop and have the tech ,aside, push that 'button' for $5,you know. I have ,several occasions,on several different vehicles dreaded to have to jump those hoops , and to have the vehicle ALL RESET the wheels while I least expected!! :yesnod Letting air down to like 25 lbs and refilling at least like 8 can reset too.
The BIG problem here is if they ("small garage" :rotfl ) did damage when patching ?? :facepalm: No response from 'black-box" may verify that.

Gjfleury

Thanks for the reply.
I have confirmed with an actual tire gauge that the 31 lbs on the tire gauge is the same value as what's showing on the instrument cluster for the right rear tire. The type of repair was just an external tire plug therefore the tire was not removed therefore the sensor wasn't touched which is why it does work as evidenced by the value showing up in the centre information display in the instrument cluster. This garage was just a small gas station who happened to have a tire plugging kit thankfully to get me on my way which is why they don't have any tech equipment. You don'T get a spare with my Nissan SV as they come with "run-flat tires" so without that tire repair, I would have been screwed!
The warning comes on every time I start the car and the yellow caution light stays on. When I access the tire pressure section of the instrument menu, this is where I see the message and the warning that I still have a flat tire and to "visit the dealer". The system should be smart enough to update it's own status without having to have any manual tech intervention.
I guess I will just drive around for a few days, as you've suggested, ans see what happens.
Thank you

macgiver

mac, my chevy van had the 4-way individual wheel notification , where upon like me rotating tires - I had to do the reset myself = have pressure above 30 psi( me 36psi) ,on Fr L. let air out to below 26 psi ( me 22 psi) , upon refilling , @ station air-chuck fill past 30 psi (me back to 36psi) then horn blows , and that wheel was reset , then your sposed to go around to Fr Rt , then Rr Rt , then Rr L., same all around and your done. Dash would be all up to date , I know though it's a different car - but point is there's similar procedures for everything ,kinda :rotflmao

Rochev
Car: 2009 Rogue SL

If it doesn't go away after a day or two, disconnect the battery overnight. You may lose radio stations etc but it clears error codes in the system and if there's no faults (TPMS short circuit or something) it will go away. Mine won't shut off due to low voltage in one sensor.

Gjfleury

Thanks for the excellent suggestions. I will try anything anyone suggests.
What disturbs me about this whole "black art" sort of thing is where nobody seems to be sure about how it works for my particular vehicle from the folks at Nissan. The solution, explanation and procedure should be very clear and simple, and available to the owners of Nissan vehicles (2014 Rogue). When I called my dealer, the service tech wasn't sure about what I should do to clear the caution light and reset the error messages and ultimately said I could bring it in for a $115 fee so they could do a force reset which could take well over an hour!!! This is entirely unacceptable in this hi tech world. Computers are programmed with entire predictability and logic. All this should be easily explained down to the microsecond and operational logic.
There should be an exact procedure to clear the, now invalid error messages, in the tpms system for my 2014 Rogue, once a flat tire is repaired and refilled back to it's correct pressure.
Nissan - get somebody from your development team in Japan to address "your mystery"!!! If I were you, I would be embarrased with the lack of providing clear solutions to your systems to your dealers and more importantly to your customers. We have already paid a premium price for your high quailty vehicles and shouldn't have to make a special trip to a dealer and spend hundreds of dollars more to remove an old invalid "in your face" error message telling you that you have a flat tire and to "visit the dealer" when in fact the pressure for the so-called flat tire shows 36psi on the centre dash display (my vehicle shows a graphic displaying all four tire pressures) and is confirmed by a tire pressure gauge!
Thank you

itsa300zx
Car: 1990 300zx NA W/TT swap
2011 Nissan Rouge S
2008 Highlander SR5

Gjfleury wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 6:49 am
Thanks for the excellent suggestions. I will try anything anyone suggests.
What disturbs me about this whole "black art" sort of thing is where nobody seems to be sure about how it works for my particular vehicle from the folks at Nissan. The solution, explanation and procedure should be very clear and simple, and available to the owners of Nissan vehicles (2014 Rogue). When I called my dealer, the service tech wasn't sure about what I should do to clear the caution light and reset the error messages and ultimately said I could bring it in for a $115 fee so they could do a force reset which could take well over an hour!!! This is entirely unacceptable in this hi tech world. Computers are programmed with entire predictability and logic. All this should be easily explained down to the microsecond and operational logic.
There should be an exact procedure to clear the, now invalid error messages, in the tpms system for my 2014 Rogue, once a flat tire is repaired and refilled back to it's correct pressure.
Nissan - get somebody from your development team in Japan to address "your mystery"!!! If I were you, I would be embarrased with the lack of providing clear solutions to your systems to your dealers and more importantly to your customers. We have already paid a premium price for your high quailty vehicles and shouldn't have to make a special trip to a dealer and spend hundreds of dollars more to remove an old invalid "in your face" error message telling you that you have a flat tire and to "visit the dealer" when in fact the pressure for the so-called flat tire shows 36psi on the centre dash display (my vehicle shows a graphic displaying all four tire pressures) and is confirmed by a tire pressure gauge!
Thank you
I agree the Nissan TPMS sucks. I ended up purchasing an ATEQ system (about $150)for my 2011 to reset mine after tire changes. No more visits to the mechanic when the TPMS light comes on. All these hi tech items requiring the dealers to work on is a real pain.

Some Hondas (ie my sisters ?2015 CRV) TPMS system is awesome and easy to reset. Just push and hold the "TPMS reset" button on the dash. Why cant the all be like that is beyond me.

macgiver

mac, like somebody else on here talks -'They' are gonna start charging for breathing the air @ Dealerships. :tisk:

Gjfleury

Thanks for your input to this ridiculous - what should be "simple problem".
I'm embarrassed that I have been driving around now for three days with a false warning message that has been corrected three days ago!!!!!!!
I agree, this aspect of the system not being able to recognize that the flat has been repaired, even though the tpms system is correctly showing and confirming that there is in fact air in the repaired tire, sucks!!!!!!!
The "Flat Tire" - "visit the dealer" caution message should have automatically been removed once the pressure was restored to the repaired flat tire and recognized/read by the Tpms. It appears to me that the Tpms is working as evidenced by reading the correct pressure, but the "Warning system" somehow isn't being updated with the new status of the repaired tire.
Unbelievable in this day and age of computerization! !!!!
Nissan needs to address this flaw of self correction or give us the method to reset this manually.
There is no technical reason why a Nissan tech is required, unless it's just another ploy to line their dealers pockets with more of our money!
Thank you

macgiver

mac, oh yeah , seems they all love having different 'based' systems , apples & oranges & bananas & Jelly Beans. :rotflmao

hleighisme
Car: 2016 Nissan Rogue SV 2WD

WHAT DID YOU END UP DOING AFTER ALL THIS?! I NEEEEEEED TO KNOW!!!!

Return to “Rogue Forum”