Towing with 2010 Ex35 journey?

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
Johnnydangerus
Car: 2010 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD premium package tech package. Obsidian black; Tan. 18" stk Michilin Primacy a/s. Remote start.

So I have an issue. I love my ex35 and been trying to find options to keep it but I'm deciding on traveling now due to having to sell house... Another story. Anyway towing any kind of camper is hard to find info on for the ex35. I so far can't find anything with bathroom under the 2500lbs I'd like. Any suggestions or should I just go with the FJ cruiser. I can honestly say I'd rather find away to make work. After having this car 1 year not one thing I don't like. I know the FJ will get it done n will work more for what I'm planning but man a little scamp or toy hauler with a matching paint job would be tits. Lol. If anyone has experience or could suggest a set-up. Some limits for the ELTRAM I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Johnnydangerus
Car: 2010 Infiniti EX35 Journey AWD premium package tech package. Obsidian black; Tan. 18" stk Michilin Primacy a/s. Remote start.

Ok so I've been trying to see what difference there is between the Ex35 and first gen an 2gen fx35 along with the qx series when it comes to towing an the only t hi g I can come up with really is 15ft lbs of torque? Body's are a little different but not sure where that will come into play? If it's the transmission I'll take the 5 speed over the cvt 7 an just use manual mode guessing it will work just fine. I'm only going to tow under 3k an if the jx, fx, can the ex should be able I belive. I'll have the fluids changed shocks n breaks checked of course. I guess Uhaul will install a class 3 hitch on a 2010 fx35 so I'll see if I can have them I stall it on my EX. Same place put my tires on. I think I said before I'm only looking at pop ups an fiber glass trailer so nothing to heavy. Still loomimg for anyones experience?

Johnnydangerus

I found my girl her Unicorn so now I'm having the curt hitch installed. Question is I guess what should I go with for wiring up electric breaks n lights? Is it plug in play by chance? What I read had me thinking it was but not sure? Just wanted to order everything for my macanic and this way I might also know. See if I can get a picture of the set-up. PREVIEW
Attachments
20210624_165547~2.jpg
ELTRAMP and new toy yet to be named

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Even 3K is a pretty hefty load for what's basically a passenger vehicle. Trailer brakes would be a good idea if the trailer has them, along with a trans cooler and some sort of leveling, shocks or bags. There probably won't be a brake prewire under the dash, but brake controllers aren't hard to wire. Four wires, fused power in, brake power out, ground, and brake switch signal.

Johnnydangerus

Thanks. The trailer is 1k lbs fiberglass. Custome. Had a hard time finding such a trailer. I do have a trans cooler also. Planned on having my macanic replace the socks if he thought they needed it with whatever he suggested along with fluids n breaks if needed all around. The works now that I found what I wanted. With the very limited info on the web for the ex I appreciate all the advice. The trailer came with breaks also. I'm sure he know what to have me order I just like to be informed an research and order my own goods and take them to him . he does my work at his house mostly after hrs. Thanks

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I have a large number of customers using the Curt brake controllers and no complaints from any of them, so I'd say that amounts to a recommendation. The only additional advice I'd offer is take some care with the mounting location. Mock it up with you and any other drivers with the seat in normal driving positions, so you can be sure it's visible, reachable, and doesn't knock knees for anyone who might be using it.

Johnnydangerus

Not sure if it would have anything to with the othe but I do have a aftermarket remote start installed? I didn't do it or have it. Believe it's a Evo. Could that help my macanic or could I have him disconnect it for me ? Or would that be a whole nothe task for him ? Just trying to make hooking up the break system as easy and the best way possible.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

That would be a whole 'nother task. The only big thing about the trailer brake is that they draw quite a bit of current, so without prewires he'll probably need to run a 12~14 AWG power wire off the battery to feed it and another 12~14 AWG back to the trailer connector. Tedious but not difficult. The ground current for the controller is negligible and the draw off the brake lamp switch is also tiny, so everything else it needs will already be under the dash. The most important thing is location, location, location. Nothing is more aggravating than having to fill and re-drill mounting holes because the stupid thing bangs your shin or you can't see it beneath the steering wheel.

Johnnydangerus

I ordered him curt time delayed electric break module, basic mod harness, electric breaks gauge wire kit and 7way adapter. Went through Uhaul and got the curt hitch and it comes with a raised ball mount, 2in ball, pin. Had wire kit for lights but my brother in law said I shouldn't need it after ordering the 4 to 7 way out put adapter? If he's wrong I'll get the Hopkins plug in play for 30 bucks cuz I can do that myself. Home depot had everything for the electric breaks for just over $100 USD. The hitch from Uhaul was cheaper because of discontinued stock? Just over $200 USD for kit minus light wiring kit add $50. For anyone who's looking to price parts for same install.

Johnnydangerus

So long story short I had to wire the 4 way for my trailer lights myself but macanic installed hitch and 7 way.. Used photo that I fiund on the forum from some time ago on an 08 and have all my lights on the back end working perfectly. My running lights tho on top of the trailer and on the sides are not working properly tho. One I seen while driving comes on when I apply breaks bottom drivers side by wheel well on the trailer but not opposite side or 2 on top? My macanic said running lights and tail lights should be one in same? Wasn't sure if infiniti has a wire I'm unaware of for the running lights due to my fog lights? Or maybe I spliced it in wrong? Or is it my trailers set up that's going to need to be looked at? Not familiar with wiring any trailers but got it legal just be nice to have them all to work right

Johnnydangerus

So my running light pin is only getting power to it when I apply the breaks? Haven't found out exactly why. If it's the wire I spliced into or what exactly but update when I do unless someone else may have an idea?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Running and tail lights should all be on the same circuit. Since only some of the lights are working and others are misbehaving, it sounds like something is crossed up in the trailer wiring.

Johnnydangerus

After calling Hopkins I've got no power to my park/tail wire. Thought I needed to re wire but no power from It green wire? I used that photo from the 08 EX35 not sure if that's different or if I need to use one of the Lt green wires on other side of splitter harness thing closer to my passenger tail light. There's 2 Lt green wires coming out on that side?

Johnnydangerus

After talking with Hopkins I have no power to my (brown) tail/park wire on harness which is the wire I tied the Lt green wire from photo on her of the 08 EX35 into. I tested Lt green wire no power? There are 2 Lt green wires on the other side of a harness down from where I tried splicing in but not sure if they are even the right ones or one for tail break and running?when hooked up to trailer I had my back trailer lights working and 1 running light came on when applying breaks and is how I figured out I was getting the power to that pin initially before

Johnnydangerus

Code: Select all

photo 
Attachments
20210716_103423~2.jpg
Hopkins 4 pin converter

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

If you're T-tapping off one of the taillights, you're looking for a 4-pin connector with Red, Lt Green, blank, Black. Connector is the same on both sides, Lt Green is the tails. There will be other connectors back there that may have Lt Green wires, make sure you're on the right one.

Johnnydangerus

I'm using the post from on this forum? I see a red, Lt green, black wire wire heading from the tail lights down to the wires I'm tapping into. Maybe my red amd Lt green wire are backward and I'm not getting power to Lt green because it's to breaks and I'm doing this alone? After I had some help. Lt green is breaks and my red is running lights. Problem solved I believe .

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Nope, I take that back, Red is the running lights, Lt Green is brakes. So you were into the wrong wire. Sorry, the documentation in Identifix was a little goofed up, I had to hit ASIST to straighten it out.

Johnnydangerus

I just needed someone to pump the breaks for me. 😆 I was having a hard time thinking of reasons why it wouldn't have power? Now I noticed that when it was backwards 1 running light and my passenger tail light worked but now they are not. Everything else does as it should. Being its hooked up right finally. Lol . so guessing the trailer lights are crossed up just as I had the car lights?

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Check the bulbs. With juice going to the wrong circuits, if they're LED's then they may just be in the sockets backwards and lighting up backwards because of it.

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”