Towing experiences

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
inspire7

Hi all,

Long time lurker, I'm currently looking at used EX35 & 37s. I've done some extensive searching regarding the Curt hitch and the wiring, but I was curious if anyone had any real experiences to share regarding towing say, 1,000lbs? Not looking to move mountains, but tow a watercraft every other weekend during the summer months.

I'm aware Infiniti does not list a towing capacity for the EX, however it does have a payload capacity of 1,040lbs. I'm looking exclusively at RWD models to keep the curb weight lower in regards to the GVWR.

So has anyone out there towed with an EX?

mrzuzzo
Car: '08 EX35 Journey AWD

You're good to go.

I've hauled an enclosed 4x6 trailer full of furniture many times back and forth between cities in my 2008 EX without any problems. I've got the curt class 1 hitch installed. A small boat or jetski should be lighter (and more aerodynamic).

meanie
Car: G37, EX35

I've been using a hitch for years on my AWD E35. Besides a bicycle rack I also tow a converted single place snowmobile trailer with two kayaks on it in the summer. In the winter I tow a two place snowmobile trailer with two 600 lb sleds. So I am pushing the weight limit. I usually tow it over a hundred miles north and leave for the winter with occasional shorter forays to local trailheads, and then bring it back home in the spring. No problems except it might cause some premature brake wear.

zarafanm
Car: 2012 Infiniti EX35 AWD

I had a U-Haul hitch installed on my 2012 EX35 for a platform bike rack. It caused muffler and exhaust system noise and vibration. I had to have them remove it. Currently in "discussion" with U-Haul about whether they should even have attempted to put a hitch on that car. Any experiences or thoughts?

jsheahawk
Car: 2011 Infiniti EX35 Journey

meanie wrote:I've been using a hitch for years on my AWD E35. Besides a bicycle rack I also tow a converted single place snowmobile trailer with two kayaks on it in the summer. In the winter I tow a two place snowmobile trailer with two 600 lb sleds. So I am pushing the weight limit. I usually tow it over a hundred miles north and leave for the winter with occasional shorter forays to local trailheads, and then bring it back home in the spring. No problems except it might cause some premature brake wear.
Did you get the Curt hitch? Did you use the straps when you had the bike rack on it?

12ex35wpg
Car: 2012 Infiniti ex35

What trailer harness did you guys use?

Looking on the web there is no direct fit harness (without splicing in wires).

I would have thought that the fx35 or G37 harnesses would work but they wont because the EX has turn signals in the bumper rather than in the taillight (meaning the trailer harness would need 4 connectors on each side not 2).

mrzuzzo

My Curt hitch definitely doesn't vibrate or impact the exhaust in any way.

I didn't install it myself but the technician who installed it also used a Curt harness, I believe.

jsheahawk

mrzuzzo wrote:My Curt hitch definitely doesn't vibrate or impact the exhaust in any way.

I didn't install it myself but the technician who installed it also used a Curt harness, I believe.
Do you use a bike rack or non-trailer load? If so, have you used stabilizing straps? Are they necessary?

Glenn-BoB
Car: 2013 Infinity EX37

Hi folks, I've been poking around the forum a bit but have never posted anything. I came back in here today to find out what the max towing capacity is for these cars because I want to upgrade my camper to something larger. I have been towing a 1500 lbs camper with my EX37 for 2 summers. It actually tows it like a dream. I now have a QX50 and just took the tow bar off the old and put it back on the new. fits like a glove. This work was done by U-Haul and when they originally put it on my EX37 there was a rattle issue (like someone mentioned) but the installer just ground off a bit of the hitch and now it's fine. As for the wiring harness I believe with my EX37 they ran a line directly from the battery to the back of my car. I was just at U-Haul today to get my new harness on but they ordered the wrong part. The tech tells me there is one for the QX50 but I am skeptical and I think he will end up running another line from my engine. I will keep you posted.

Teknical
Car: 2014 QX50 AWD

Post pics please.

Glenn-BoB

I don't really have any pics of it hooked up and driving anywhere but here are some camping pics at several different camp sites, lol.
I should also mention that I was right and there is NO direct plug and play option for a wireing harness in any of these models and the guy DID end up wiring directly from the battery.

New QX550

new hitch and wiring on QX50. The wiring hookup looks low to me and I hope I don't tear it off. My EX37 only had the hookup in the spare tire compartment so I could pull it out whenever I wanted it. Hoping this doesn't cause me troubles.

meanie

jsheahawk wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:37 pm
meanie wrote:I've been using a hitch for years on my AWD E35. Besides a bicycle rack I also tow a converted single place snowmobile trailer with two kayaks on it in the summer. In the winter I tow a two place snowmobile trailer with two 600 lb sleds. So I am pushing the weight limit. I usually tow it over a hundred miles north and leave for the winter with occasional shorter forays to local trailheads, and then bring it back home in the spring. No problems except it might cause some premature brake wear.
Did you get the Curt hitch? Did you use the straps when you had the bike rack on it?
Sorry for the late response. Haven't been on the site in a while. Yes it is the Curt hitch, but I had it installed at a shop. There initially was a problem with the exhaust hitting on bumps when the tongue had a load on it. Bending the "ears" on the hitch took care of that. Otherwise, no problem. Not sure what you mean about straps unless you are talking about the kind that mount on the hatch. My Thule rack slides right into the hitch opening.

jsheahawk

It says on the hitch that if you use it for non-towing purposes, you need to use "auxiliary straps". They're supposed to keep it from bouncing and eventually breaking.

Glenn-BoB

I'll be towing my camper for the first time with my QX50 this weekend. If it's anything like the EX37 I'll be fine.

EX35WinterBeater
Car: Summer: 2003 Honda S2000
Winter: 2008 Infiniti EX35

jsheahawk wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:19 pm
It says on the hitch that if you use it for non-towing purposes, you need to use "auxiliary straps". They're supposed to keep it from bouncing and eventually breaking.
Really? I had a hitch installed on my EX35 with the intention of using it for a bike rack, and the place that did the install didn't say anything about straps.

meanie

jsheahawk wrote:
Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:19 pm
Mine was professionally installed and nothing was said about straps, but I didn't see the box it came in. My first hitch was damaged when I was rear-ended so the body shop ordered and installed another. They also did not mention straps.

Glenn-BoB

Anyone have a Transmission cooler installed on their QX50? Just wondering if you can get one that fits in there.

mrzuzzo

I believe all EX/QX50 come with transmission cooler as standard equipment.

Glenn-BoB

mrzuzzo wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:24 pm
thanks. is there a link somewhere that can verify this?

Glenn-BoB

well it seems photobucket has started to charge people for 3rd party sharing of photos. guess I'm done with them.

Glenn-BoB

mrzuzzo wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:24 pm
I just found this page that states the QX50 does indeed have a trasmission oil cooler.

http://www.caranddriver.com/infiniti/qx50/specs

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”