Towing delimma....

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
Thirakul
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue

we are planning to get jet skis for the next season but looking at two skis and an aluminum trailer, it will be about 200lbs over towing capacity of 1500lbs... is it going to be a huge deal, or would i be able to tow without passengers with caution. i have the awd and it says towing capacity of 1500lbs... i need inputs to see if i have to trade in the vehicle (which i would hate to happen) or if it would still be okay. thanks!

Leo2005

I believe it should be ok because 1500 is estimated but not limited. I towed 2 jet skis with my 98 mazda protege which has only 1.8L. I had a hard time but it did tow. So Rogue shouldn't be a problem.

Thirakul
Car: 2008 Nissan Rogue

Thanks for the reply....

is the towing ability based on engine/drivetrain or chassis? also i just plan on taking the skis about 8 miles out of town into a canyon that has not-so-steep grade. is that going to be a problem on the grade? thanks for the reply

philipa_240sx

My SL FWD published weight is 3316lbs. The GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) which is the maximum combined weight of the vehicle and trailer for my Rogue is 4348lbs. The GVWR is printed on a metal placard on the drivers side door pillar. That only give's me a maximum towing capacity of 1032 lbs. The SL FWD is rated for 1000lb's towing capacity.

So even without adding the weight of the driver, there isn't any 'extra' margin to tow more than 1000lbs. This is an area of concern since where I live (Ontario, Canada), they do random inspections of vehicles with trailers. If you exceed the the GVWR you can be fined. This may be true in other states & provinces as well.

I've towed at the 1000lb limit (and maybe a bit more). The Rogue seems to do just fine... it seems like it could tow alot more actually. Still I don't recommend doing this all the time. I usually drive slowly, give myself lots of room, and do short trips only. Towing puts a large strain on brakes, suspension and the drivetrain. The Rogue is pretty robust, but Nissan's are not known for having the best brakes... and I question the CVT's durability when towing. At least the AWD models seem to get an auxilliary transmission cooler... that helps.

If you are going to do this, make sure the brakes are in top shape and check them at least twice per year. I would also seriously consider getting a trailer with electric brakes to help out with stopping. Nissan recommends electric trailer breaks over 1000lbs.

Good luck!

Return to “Rogue Forum”