Touch up paint tips?

The Nissan Versa Tech Discussion forum is the place to discuss Versa performance modifications and maintenance.
blacksmaru
Car: 07 Versa SL

I recently noticed while washing and waxing my V the other day i had a nasty rock chip on the roof just above the windshield....i dont know how the hell, but anyway, i got some touch up paint from a nissan dealer and wanted to ask if anyone else has used touch up paint before? what are some good methods of applying? i`ve heard toothpicks, Q-tips etc.... just wanted to know what others have done...

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

I definitely wouldn't use a Q-tip. Seems like you could end up with cotton threads in the paint if you do. OEM Nissan touch-up paints come with a small brush in the lid, anyway, so you don't need to worry about an applicator. Some people recommend getting a fine art brush if the chip is very small.

Make sure the bare metal underneath is clean before you paint over it, though. Sand it or take a dremel to it if there's any rust. Wash it with dish soap and water afterward.

You'll want to wet-sand with VERY fine sandpaper after the touch-up paint dries. Be really careful, though, as you don't want to dull the paint around the patch area. If you need advice on wet-sanding, look here: zerothread/317670

Then wax over the repaired area for some extra protection.

brainguyus
Car: '12 Murano SL - '08 Versa SL - '67 Lincoln Continental

MinisterofDOOM wrote: Wash it with dish soap and water afterward.

You'll want to wet-sand with VERY fine sandpaper after the touch-up paint dries. Be really careful, though, as you don't want to dull the paint around the patch area.
I heard you should use Dawn dishwashing detergent as it removes the old wax. I'm not sure about the other brands.

Don't apply the touchup paint in direct sunlight. You want to give it a chance to even out as it dries.

[my method]Use a fine brush to apply the paint. Make sure you don't have too much paint on the brush (only enough to fill the chip), otherwise you'll end up with a repair that will require alot more sanding. Let it dry for a day then hit it lightly with 4000 grit. Use 2000 first if you have an uneven spot you want to bring down. Fold the sandpaper so you have at least two layers and use light pressure (I always fold a strip into thirds so I have three layers under my fingers). Sand as small an area as possible. Then buff with polishing compound and wax.

Don't expect a completely invisible repair. You'll seldom get that using touchup paint. After a while your eye will stop going to the repair and you won't even notice it.

Overall, It really depends on the size of the chip and how well the touchup coat goes on. I've done a few where the application went on well enough that only had to use polishing compound afterwards.

Hope this helps....Good Luck!
Modified by brainguyus at 6:06 AM 6/6/2008

Versa Madness
Car: 2008 Nissan Versa S HB 6 spd

I have had good results using the ball point applicator on the lid of the touch up paint instead of using the brush. The ball point meters out a small amount of paint at a time and it is easier to fill in the chip without so much paint ending up on the unchipped surface.

Return to “Versa Technical Discussions”