Touch mouse has spasms...

Forum dedicated to computer hardware and software, mobile phones and electronic gadgets.
PyR0NiAk
Car: S13 SR W/ T2 GT3071R .86AR, JWT S4 Cams, 810cc Injectors,Z32 MAF, JWT tuned ECU 87mm 9:1 Compression CP pistons, Manley Rods

The touch mouse on my toshiba laptop keeps going freaking crazy. It tends to either get stuck or go in reverse from the direction I move it. I've learned that if I slam my finger down on it kind of hard, that it will sometimes fix it. It's been doing this ever since I used it when in the garage working on my cams. I figured, at first, that I may have gotten some assembly lube on the mouse, but I've since cleaned it with rubbing alcohol and still no fix. I've also heard that static electricity can cause this issue. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Touchpads are capacitive, so static can affect them (anything conductive will trigger them). If it's actually bad and not just dirty, I'd suggest trying to find used parts. A few years ago when my laptop's keyboard went wonky I went to a couple of used computer stores and one juts happened to have a "fried" model identical to mine...the dude sold me the keyboard for $15. That might be your best bet. Find a used touchmouse from the same model and swap it in.

I'd probably try removing it and cleaning it very thoroughly before actually replacing it, though.

Return to “Computers / Electronics”