Torque spec, axle nut

Nissan Rogue forum - Includes Nissan Qashqai and Nissan Dualis as well.
D1dad
Car: 2021 Nissan Altima SR
2018 Nissan Rogue Midnight
2009 Nissan Altima SL

I hate posting a thread about this but I’ve been searching all morning and nada. I’ve got a slight click coming from the front left on my wife’s 2018. Before I drive an hour to the dealer only to be told that they “could not duplicate” I wanna check the axle nuts with my torque wrench but can’t find the ft lbs for a 2018. I found the 2017 specs on the skf website, which I assume should work, but nissans been all over the map through the years. 2017 shows 188ft lbs which sounds reasonable yet pretty stout compared to other suvs and trucks. Any help is appreciated.

casperfun
Car: 2009 Nissan Rogue SL AWD - Indigo Blue

I just did my 2009 and I remember my torque wrench limit was too low at 220ft pounds or something like that.

Mine was really high like 288 ft lbs. I really forgot.

But since my torque wrench didn’t go that high. I just stood my little a$$ on the wrench and pushed it down by kinda jumping on it since I’m 100 lbs soaking wet holding a brick.

So yah, I’m not really concerned at it being spec even though I am ocd, but guess not ocd huh? :crazy:

D1dad
2009 Nissan Altima SL

Neither was loose. At least no looser than 190lbs. I read a TSB that the splines on the cv shaft needed moly kote so I’ll just let the dealer mess with it. I’m over my bumper to bumper but still under the 60k drivetrain.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

If anyone tells you they "can't duplicate," they're an idiot. It's a known issue with almost all Nissan FWD. If you're past warranty, the bulletin is:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/ ... 1-0001.pdf

It's not just a retorque, dry splines contribute to it.

casperfun

Just took off the passenger side axle nut. The usual cheap 189ft pound torque wrench and penetrating fluid didn’t work this time.

I know I know, I got a cheap a$$ torque wrench but it’s mainly for my lug nuts.

So I tried the socket wrench with adaptor using a floor jack pipe. I definitely know the way it’s bending that my ghetto set up will break into pieces let alone if I had a real breaker bar.

On top of the fact I can’t use this hopeless excuse of a breaker bar with my floor jack to loosen it either. Also no access to a super hot flame tool. Or a powerful impact wrench from a car repair center.

Well, yet again YouTube saves me and I follow this guy’s advice to use a rag and soak the axle nut with a mixture of acetone and transmission fluid for a few hours. I use paint thinner in place of the acetone. Worked like a charm. :domo:

D1dad
2009 Nissan Altima SL

VStar650CL wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:14 am
If anyone tells you they "can't duplicate," they're an idiot. It's a known issue with almost all Nissan FWD. If you're past warranty, the bulletin is:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/ ... 1-0001.pdf

It's not just a retorque, dry splines contribute to it.
Are you a tech? The dealer that I got her rogue from was famous for that BS. I literally had to force the shop foreman into the passenger seat in my 09 after I drove 45 miles to get there for him to hear the cvt whine. That was after I had dropped it off the previous week. The new dealer I use is familiar with that tsb, my only question is why the clicking/clunk only shows up after the car is good and warmed up? Would it not do it all the time if this bulletin applied?

D1dad
2009 Nissan Altima SL

casperfun wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:14 pm
Just took off the passenger side axle nut. The usual cheap 189ft pound torque wrench and penetrating fluid didn’t work this time.

I know I know, I got a cheap a$$ torque wrench but it’s mainly for my lug nuts.

So I tried the socket wrench with adaptor using a floor jack pipe. I definitely know the way it’s bending that my ghetto set up will break into pieces let alone if I had a real breaker bar.

On top of the fact I can’t use this hopeless excuse of a breaker bar with my floor jack to loosen it either. Also no access to a super hot flame tool. Or a powerful impact wrench from a car repair center.

Well, yet again YouTube saves me and I follow this guy’s advice to use a rag and soak the axle nut with a mixture of acetone and transmission fluid for a few hours. I use paint thinner in place of the acetone. Worked like a charm. :domo:
I have a kobalt 24volt 1/2” impact that hasn’t ran into a faster it can’t back out. It even took off an axle bolt on my f250 that was speced for around 275lbs. I didn’t wanna use it on the rogue but my torque wrench (tecton) does go up to 200lbs.

casperfun

Technically, this tsb does not apply to my 2009. On top of the fact that nobody usually adds this grease on the splines in YouTube videos when it comes to axles or boots by mechanics and Nissan techs I watch.

Since my recent driver’s side is giving me no problems, I’m not going to ocd on this issue even though I have my axle not reinstalled yet while fixing my split boot on the passenger side.

I’m already missing the axle nut thingy ma jig. If it ain’t broke, with the Molykote missing, I ain’t bi*%*in. :soap:

D1dad
2009 Nissan Altima SL

I’m not really getting the moly kote but I guess it makes sense. I put a new cv shaft myself on an 08 impala and there was a click when hitting the gas at around 30mph. I did put some grease on the splines and it corrected it. My issue feels like it’s coming from the transfer case and or cvt, more centered than at the wheel itself. I’ve got an appointment at 11 at the new dealer I’m using from here on out. They’re a high volume dealer who I’m sure wants all the warranty work they can get, as opposed to the small town outfit who acted like every service appointment was an inconvenience.

D1dad
2009 Nissan Altima SL

Well no go. I took a half day off work, drove an hour to the dealer only to find out that whoever I talked to failed to log my appointment into the computer. The service writer wanted to squeeze me in but the service manager basically called me a liar in front of 4 other workers and degraded me about the TSB saying it didn’t apply to a 2018 rogue. I just dumped 26k at this place 3 weeks ago and have honestly never been treated like this by a customer service rep, at least not face to face. Needless to say I voiced the appreciation, or lack of I had about being talked to the way he did in front of other workers or in general. What’s wrong with people? Sadly I’ll be looking for another dealer who wants my business. The kicker is my nurse daughter is starting a family and was going to go there this weekend to look at the new rogue or possible pathfinder and my SIL was very interested in a Titan. With nissans sales or lack there of and the awful rap the cvt gets you would think that customer service would be a priority to get customers back in the circle of Nissan trust.

casperfun

Just curious why didn’t you show them the tsb, it literally says 2018 Rogues are included. :poke:

Other than the fact that they treated you like crap, I would have shoved the truth in their face at least. :werd:

D1dad
2009 Nissan Altima SL

casperfun wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:44 am
Just curious why didn’t you show them the tsb, it literally says 2018 Rogues are included. :poke:

Other than the fact that they treated you like crap, I would have shoved the truth in their face at least. :werd:
Never got that far. The service manager gave me attitude right from the start. Basically said I was lying about having an appointment and that they never would have scheduled an appointment so close to lunch. Seriously surreal the way I was treated. I’m easy going but after about the 4th or 5th attack I let him have it. I put a call into the GM and left a scathing but honest review but doubt I’ll get a call back. I didn’t pick this dealer because of their reviews, although I probably should have in hindsight. They were literally the only lot that had the 2021 Altima I wanted in stock. After I got back home fuming pissed I read all 600 plus reviews on google and came away convinced that this behavior is normal for this guy. I’m 48 and have ran an ins agency for 25 yrs and have never treated a client/customer that way, I’m still in disbelief that people can act like this and still have a job.

Return to “Rogue Forum”