Torque Rod Service - Refer to NTB10-121B

General discussion area for the L32-chassis Altima
Theironman117
Car: 2011 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL Sedan QR25DE CVT

Hi all,

I own a 2011 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL Sedan with approximately 140k miles on it. I recently had the CV transmission serviced with an oil change and installed the transmission oil cooler kit from Nissan (21606-ZX59A). Although, after all this was done, I am still getting slight hesitation and jerkiness when stepping on the gas between 10-50 mph approx. I had done some research earlier this last year and found a technical service bulletin referring to NTB-10-121B which describes a slight hesitation/surge on the 4th gen Altimas.

https://www.tsbsearch.com/Nissan/NTB10-121B

The following conditions must be met for this bulletin to apply:

Speed between 10-45MPH
Transmission torque converter clutch engaged (lock mode)
Engine RPM's between 1200-2000
Light Acceleration

All but one I can confirm is happening on the car. The one that I cannot confirm is Transmission torque converter clutch is engaged. I am not sure how to measure that, but all the conditions are present.

My question to you guys is, if I take the car into a stealership, will they perform the Torque rod service and TCM reprogramming as described in the TSB? Or will they have to confirm all conditions are present for them to do it? Keep in mind the TSB refers to customer satisfaction and I have confirmed all except one condition is present and I don't want the stealership to deny me service on the count that I was not able to confirm the torque converter clutch has been engaged. Is there a way to confirm this as well? Any/all input is appreciated.

Thank you, and God bless us all in these trying times.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
Car: 2013 Nissan Altima 2.5 SL
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

Any good scanner that's transmission-capable should be able to stream the TCC condition from the TCM. Keep in mind a TSB isn't a recall, performing it on an '11 won't be a free repair. However, since it's out of pocket, they should simply perform it on request if you bring them a copy of the bulletin or reference the bulletin number.

Theironman117

Thank you VStar650CL, I appreciate the swift reply. I will take it into the stealership on Monday to see if they can do it.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

You're most welcome. FYI, we're not all dishonest. People using terms like that about my place of work are welcome to go elsewhere, but they won't get our expertise or as good a job. Companies are the sum of the people who work there, and dealerships are no different.

Theironman117

Thanks for the reply. I'll keep that in mind when I use the dealer. I guess I saw the term being used on other forums and didn't even think about the implications within me saying "stealership." I agree the companies are the sum of the people who work there.

VStar650CL
Technical Expert
2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

No offense taken, there are plenty of thieves in the world and avoiding them isn't always easy. But there are also lots of earnest and nice people in the world, and they're there to find if you look. Hopefully there are some in your dealership. :)

Return to “4th Generation Altima Sedan (2007-2012)”