torque on bellhousing bolts & using blue loctite

Got questions about your Nissan? We're here to help, and it's FREE!
Webfoot
Car: 1991 Nissan Pickup 2WD KA24E King Cab

After 257k miles, my pickup, bought new in 1991, needed its first clutch replacement. I had to purchase an air compressor and impact wrench to break loose the bellhousing bolts. I have a table that shows correct torque specifications for each bellhousing bolt.
When reinstalling the transmission bellhousing:
Is it true that maintaining proper torque on each bellhousing bolt is problematical because you are forced to use a universal joint to install them?
Would using blue loctite on the bellhousing bolts make sense, as its use might make installing and removing the bolts require less torque, and you would have better assurance that the bolts are secure?
Are there mechanics out there who routinely use blue loctite?
And if so, how would they adjust the torque specifications for threaded fasteners, (which as near as I can tell are always spelled out for dry, clean, and unlubricated threads)?

MaximA32

As long as you follow the procedure, you should be fine. I've never used loctite on that type of bolt simply because I never felt the need to.

PapaSmurf2k3
Site Admin
Car: 2017 Corvette, 2018 Focus ST, 1993 240sx truck KA Turbo.

No, the bellhousing bolts really don't need loctite. You SHOULD put it on the flywheel bolts though.

Bellhousing bolts are mostly just "tight as a mother" torque specification.

Return to “Nissan Online Mechanic”