Think about this

Dedicated to the G37 Convertible. This forum is for convertible-only content that is NOT covered in the other G-Series forums.
SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

Good Day All,

I have a theory I would like to share with you convertible owners. Recently at my dealer we have more than one top stuck open. As theoretically ideal as not needing a roof sounds the severity of a roof being stuck in the truck could be easily mishandled.

There is literally nothing in print from Infiniti about top issues still. There is one bulletin about an Active Test a technician can perform using a CIII. This is a huge help because when the top is open there is just about nothing anyone can really access if the hydraulic pump relief valve ever needed to be accessed.

The first models to come out did not come equipped with a spare tire in the trunk but an emergency tire inflator kit, except in MD where a spare is required. When these cars were new and they were moving quite a few of the them with no (major) complaints like those I have seen recently. The top opens in 48 steps and the ones I have seen stop between 46 and 47, so it is almost there but not quite. In one case there was someones gym bag in the trunk and it was actively being crushed to the point the top stopped.

So what I am thinking is the cars that come with the spare tire offer less give in the trunk liner board if something happens to be caught back there.

Not that I am advising people to remove their spare tire but it is just something to think about.

drivefast
Car: G37S convertible

well, it all becomes a matter of probability. how many times any of us needed to put on the spare tire themselves? never happened to me in like more than 12 years. at that point, having the car towed to a place where they can fix my tire would cost like, what, $200?... small price to pay over such a long period of time. since in CA carrying a spare tire is not required, and i have roadside assistance on both my cars, i dont even care about having that joke of a spare wheel with me. or jumpstart cables for that matter.

regarding the top getting stuck, mine got stuck approximately mid-way, without being disturbed by anything in the spare wheel space or in the trunk. luckily this happened when the car was in the garage, but thinking of it, i didnt like the idea towing my car with the top half-opened for 15 miles. after about 20 attempts of moving it back and forth i finally managed to have it shut and latched, before having to go to the books and check if there's any manual procedure to get it closed.

bschurr
Car: 2009 G37S 6MT Conv

SteveTheTech wrote:Good Day All,

I have a theory I would like to share with you convertible owners. Recently at my dealer we have more than one top stuck open. As theoretically ideal as not needing a roof sounds the severity of a roof being stuck in the truck could be easily mishandled.

There is literally nothing in print from Infiniti about top issues still. There is one bulletin about an Active Test a technician can perform using a CIII. This is a huge help because when the top is open there is just about nothing anyone can really access if the hydraulic pump relief valve ever needed to be accessed.

The first models to come out did not come equipped with a spare tire in the trunk but an emergency tire inflator kit, except in MD where a spare is required. When these cars were new and they were moving quite a few of the them with no (major) complaints like those I have seen recently. The top opens in 48 steps and the ones I have seen stop between 46 and 47, so it is almost there but not quite. In one case there was someones gym bag in the trunk and it was actively being crushed to the point the top stopped.

So what I am thinking is the cars that come with the spare tire offer less give in the trunk liner board if something happens to be caught back there.

Not that I am advising people to remove their spare tire but it is just something to think about.
WOW - One of the few times that being an early adopter has paid off. I got my Vert in early July and I was one of the first to get it. I dont have a spare tire and rarely drive the car without putting the top up or down & I have never <knock on wood> had a problem. But, I dont keep anything in the trunk either...

cmesurf
Car: Infinitis, 03 FX35, 07 g35 sedan, 05 FX45, 09 G-vert & 14 Q50S Hybrid AWD

bschurr wrote:
SteveTheTech wrote:Good Day All,

WOW - One of the few times that being an early adopter has paid off. I got my Vert in early July and I was one of the first to get it. I dont have a spare tire and rarely drive the car without putting the top up or down & I have never <knock on wood> had a problem. But, I dont keep anything in the trunk either...
I got mine in Aug 09 and I haven't had no issues.. I do use my trunk (carried few bags, which slide in in underspace and net hold them in place) with my net addition/mod
and never had any issues either....

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

I know that none of you purchased your vert for the spectacular trunk space so making the best out of what is there. There are pros and cons to the G, but the best thing for it is not having the dealer have to get the top back up. Many people know that nothing at all can go on top of of the carpeted mat when the top is going to be operated.

Return to “G37 Convertible Forum”