Top Speed?

Forum for Infiniti M37, M56 M35h Hybrid and Q70 owners.
PostalsQ

Had a stretch of highway. Right time. Right place. No one around. Since the Texas mile run was recently mentioned. I decided to just gauge what kind of Top Speed I was looking at. Took her to 140. But after that. She seemed limited. Not that it was bouncing off a limiter. Just seemed like maybe computer would stop her there. I don't think she had a whole lot more in her. Maybe running out of air. Who knows. And no tuning yet. So do you all think there's a speed limiter?

DredM56
Car: 2011 Infiniti M56 2004 Subaru Wrx STi

There's a limiter at 157mph

PostalsQ

Really felt like I was hitting a soft wall at 140. :gotme Like it was computer limited. Going to have to replicate again if I can. :woot: I'm sure tuning is able to remove that top speed limiter of 157. But I do have a CA car. :nono: Who knows if those corrupt liberal democrats put a 140 limiter on my car. LOL :chuckle:

silberma
Car: 2015 70QL

I have a few questions:

1. Are the tires on the car really rated for this speed, otherwise a blowout can be catastrophic?
2. Did you red line the engine?
3. Knowing that this is not a Porsche, Ferrari or Corvette what made you push the car to the limit. Is it a leased car?

PostalsQ

Silberma, are you FBI? Why the Spanish Inquisition? I thought we were in a forum of Infiniti performance enthusiasts? Would you like to know where? What time? Day of the week too?

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

PostalsQ wrote:Silberma, are you FBI? Why the Spanish Inquisition? I thought we were in a forum of Infiniti performance enthusiasts? Would you like to know where? What time? Day of the week too?
lol

Why put a V8 with 420hp and a theoretical top speed of like 165 if you're not intended to ever stretch it's legs? Might as well make all cars with 100hp and a top speed of 75.

There is a time and place for everything. Going 120mph in traffic = bad idea. Going 120mph on a back road = amazingly fun times. People who say otherwise need to relax.

DredM56

silberma wrote:I have a few questions:

1. Are the tires on the car really rated for this speed, otherwise a blowout can be catastrophic?
2. Did you red line the engine?
3. Knowing that this is not a Porsche, Ferrari or Corvette what made you push the car to the limit. Is it a leased car?
That is some comical sht right there.

1.Yolo
2.If yes to Your Warranty Is Over Buddy lol
3.Why Buy A Car With 420Hp and Never Push It. It's just as fast or faster then a stock C5 Vette

PostalsQ

Thanks Ilya. As mentioned above. Right time. Right place. No one around. Anyone can figure that out and make their own assumption. Let's see. 140 at 10-11 am. No. Not going to happen with me. On a Friday or Saturday night with CHP out & about looking for DUI's to pick on. Nope to that to. I just stretched my legs some.

PostalsQ

Dred. You got the beastly 420hp 5.6. :bowrofl: I just have a puny 3.7 :tisk:

DFW2011M56S
Car: 2011 M56S

PostalsQ wrote:Had a stretch of highway. Right time. Right place. No one around. Since the Texas mile run was recently mentioned. I decided to just gauge what kind of Top Speed I was looking at. Took her to 140. But after that. She seemed limited. Not that it was bouncing off a limiter. Just seemed like maybe computer would stop her there. I don't think she had a whole lot more in her. Maybe running out of air. Who knows. And no tuning yet. So do you all think there's a speed limiter?
Looked at the speed limiter in the tune on my 2011 M56S before the Bullydog went on and the speed limiter was set for 180 mph.

I had heard about the 157 limit, but have had my car up to almost 170 mph on the stock tune.

armybrat
Car: 2012 M56x with Tech Package (sold)
Custom 2-1/2" X-pipe exhaust with OEM sport mufflers
HPS intake hoses
Uprev tune

silberma wrote:I have a few questions:

Actually this is a good question. The short answer is yes. The M56 comes with V rated tires which, according to the ECE tire standard, is good for sustained speeds of 149mph for 10 minutes. This is assuming proper inflation and driving in optimal conditions. Manufacturers will exceed this standard to allow extra flexibility for liability purposes. If you've bought your car used, it may be wise to check your tire speed rating, as the previous owner may have mounted a set of substandard tires before getting rid of it (common practice on a lease turn in) It happened to me when I bought mine last year. Mine is V rated but a substandard Goodyear knock off called Goodride. (rated 2 out of 5 stars)

With that said, best I could do with everything stock was around 142. I have the AWD so mine will be slower than the other models. I haven't tried it since I did the Y-pipe and resonator delete.

DredM56

DFW2011M56S wrote:
PostalsQ wrote:Had a stretch of highway. Right time. Right place. No one around. Since the Texas mile run was recently mentioned. I decided to just gauge what kind of Top Speed I was looking at. Took her to 140. But after that. She seemed limited. Not that it was bouncing off a limiter. Just seemed like maybe computer would stop her there. I don't think she had a whole lot more in her. Maybe running out of air. Who knows. And no tuning yet. So do you all think there's a speed limiter?
Looked at the speed limiter in the tune on my 2011 M56S before the Bullydog went on and the speed limiter was set for 180 mph.

I had heard about the 157 limit, but have had my car up to almost 170 mph on the stock tune.

I haven't used cipher on it so haven't actually looked.I read 157 never actually hit it yet. I had it up to like 140 and it was still pulling good just ran out of open road. The limiters that high are stupid anyway. 157 is going to kill you just as easy as 170. My STi had a 165 limiter on it stock that I did test before.

To the TS I didn't know you had 3.7. That's probably pretty close to what your going to get out of it my G wouldn't be pulling very hard after 135 140 area

dmclone
Car: 2011 M56x

I believe my X is limited to 130. I think I can live that.

ArmedAviator
Car: 2012 M37x

Ilya wrote:
PostalsQ wrote:Silberma, are you FBI? Why the Spanish Inquisition? I thought we were in a forum of Infiniti performance enthusiasts? Would you like to know where? What time? Day of the week too?
lol

Why put a V8 with 420hp and a theoretical top speed of like 165 if you're not intended to ever stretch it's legs? Might as well make all cars with 100hp and a top speed of 75.

There is a time and place for everything. Going 120mph in traffic = bad idea. Going 120mph on a back road = amazingly fun times. People who say otherwise need to relax.
I've gone above 100MPH in road vehicles exactly 4 times.

First time was stock Grand Marquis, speed limited to 112MPH on the highway racing a friend on tires not rated for it. Dumb dumb dumb.
Second time was my friend test driving my second Grand Marquis which had alot of performance and suspension mods and on properly rated Pirelli tires. He got it up to about 125MPH on a 2-lane country road before I told him to back off. Dumb dumb dumb.
Third time was on another Grand Marquis owned by some jackass that decided 140MPH was the only way to prove to me that his high stall torque converter was cool. This was on a somewhat curvy/hilly road with trees ten feet off the side on both sides. Really dumb.
And finally, same guy as above took me in his SRT-10 truck with mods and decided he needed to show off tire spin on the same windy, slightly damp roads at 160MPH. I was never so ready to be out of a car in my life. Dumb times alot.

I don't have the need to do 100+ anymore. I'll do 90 very occasionally for traffic passing but that's about it. I've had friends die in accidents doing less speed. I rather keep my appendages and my life. Please don't be a$$ on the road around me and mine.

PostalsQ

Hilarious!!! :cool:

DredM56

It is pretty funny. I go over 100 weekly. Around me if you're doing 75-80 on the highway you'll get passed by at least a handful of mini vans and suvs like you're parked and people are acting like 100 is something special.

Ilya
Car: 2011 M56x but I spend a lot of time on my 2015 Kawasaki Vulcan S. Former owner of a 2007 M35x. Also take care of my wife's 2016 QX60.

DredM56 wrote:It is pretty funny. I go over 100 weekly. Around me if you're doing 75-80 on the highway you'll get passed by at least a handful of mini vans and suvs like you're parked and people are acting like 100 is something special.
Yep, people here on the northway (when it's not gridlocked) speed a ton. Surprised I haven't seen you cruisin around yet lol.

As for speeding...everyone can agree to disagree.

PostalsQ

I can read some of the comments as being sensitive towards my initial post. Again. Right time. Right place. And I can see the critiquing if I say. Well guys. I just drank a pint of jack and decided to drive at 140. Let's see. An infraction. A misdemeanor. A felony. I think I'm guilty of an infraction at most with what I wrote. I don't condone what I did. Nor do I encourage it. Especially when your a new driver and still immature. I'm neither. But on occasion. You like to let loose and stretch your legs on a rare occasion.

ArmedAviator
Car: 2012 M37x

Just remember guys, one pothole or roadkill at that speed can lead to loss of control.

PostalsQ

I agree with you 100% Aviator. 1 stray bullet can kill you. Investing all your money in the wrong stock can destroy your financial portfolio. And so on and so on. YOLO.

Ilya

PostalsQ wrote:I agree with you 100% Aviator. 1 stray bullet can kill you. Investing all your money in the wrong stock can destroy your financial portfolio. And so on and so on. YOLO.
YOLO. Literally.

I ride a motorcycle. There is a 'risk ladder' in life, some people are only okay with going up one rung (walking out of their bedroom) while others are willing to go up 20 rungs (jumping off a cliff with a parachute). To each his own as I've said.

Maybe it's cause I ride a motorcycle, but these things don't scare me. There is a time and place for everything, including using all of the power the factory gave you and (evidently) the government is okay with us having...even though the laws say not to go over a certain speed. Some laws, to me, are merely suggestions :gapteeth: :chuckle: .

armybrat
HPS intake hoses
Uprev tune

I would like to push it to top speed only one more time, once I install my HPS hoses and get the Uprev tune, and I will also wait until I get fresh new rubber since mine have some mileage on them, mainly to see the difference with my mods. I am more afraid of the tires messing up right now than anything else. My daily early morning commute with almost no traffic coupled with a few stretches of straight, flat, wide open interstate affords me the opportunity to let it rip when I want without endangering anyone else. I like to get it up to 90 - 100 at least once a day during my commute. This car runs like a sewing machine on the highway, I mean like the old Lexus commercials with the wine glasses stacked on the hood smooth...plus it blows the cats out pretty good. For now I am good with just doing that.

PostalsQ

Well said Ilya. My experience is as such. I'm a huge motorcycle enthusiast. I've always wanted an HP4 & a S/C'd Kawasaki H2. My daily commuter prior to selling was a Concours. Borrow a bike. Lane splitting at a reasonable speed within bumper to bumper commuter traffic. Someone catches my rear bag. I fall. Nearly have my foot amputated. By the grace of God. I get a great doctor and he fixes me up. I'll never be 100% again. But I'm ok with that. Nor do I tell bikers to slow down. Their lives. Nor do I follow cars that speed to scold them. If your not committing a felonious crime. I'm not getting involved. Such as all these Hillary supporters resorting to violence. Then I'll get involved.

long story short. I'm on my way to work. Streets of SF. See an officer struggling with a big black dude. Other black people around. Filming. I jump in. Grab big dude from the back. Place a carotid on him. He's asleep for a few seconds. Gives the officer enough time to put on cuffs. Officer is bleeding profusely from the nose. And visibly shaken. His back up arrives. I give my statement. Leave. In other words. As a society. We should help each other. We should advice others if they're majorly screwing up.

Again. I'm not condoning what I did. Not encouraging it. But we are in a forum of Infiniti enthusiasts. We discuss daily repairs along with making better performance. Army just pointed out a great topic. All states have speed limits. And they're merely suggestions. As if it rains hard. You should drive slower no? But car makers are allowed to make current production cars on the streets to reach speeds over 200 mph.

so remember my original post. Right time. Right place. And I'll add right day of the week without getting into where. Time and day. I'm open to all advice. And I'm ok with agreeing to disagree too.

MpamP
Car: 2011 m56s

SWIM hit the 157 - 158 mph ecu governed top speed once. Now with the uprev tune the top speed is electronically controlled to max out at 255 mph. My tuner gave me strict instructions I should not drive the car that fast, :-) given the proper conditions, however SWIM will probably report how fast the M 56 )that is exactly like mine) can go. I'm sure that run will use 2 different speedo apps and the actual speedometer to for the most accurate way to read the top speed. The most accurate measure would be the k band radar which hopefully would not be involved.
I can say this, 156 in the m56 is pretty fast and feels, most likely, like 165 or what ever the car maxes out at...

DFW2011M56S
Car: 2011 M56S

MpamP wrote:SWIM hit the 157 - 158 mph ecu governed top speed once. Now with the uprev tune the top speed is electronically controlled to max out at 255 mph. My tuner gave me strict instructions I should not drive the car that fast, :-) given the proper conditions, however SWIM will probably report how fast the M 56 )that is exactly like mine) can go. I'm sure that run will use 2 different speedo apps and the actual speedometer to for the most accurate way to read the top speed. The most accurate measure would be the k band radar which hopefully would not be involved.
I can say this, 156 in the m56 is pretty fast and feels, most likely, like 165 or what ever the car maxes out at...
I can tell you I did around 165-170 in mine bone stock. When you download Bullydog or open the Uprev file both show the speed limiter as 180 on my stock M56S.

I guess I have a death wish though. Both my Titan and Ram saw 140+ and I have driven a Chevy Express van 120+ and drove it 100+ regularly on my daily commute.

PostalsQ

Ok. Ok. ;) Y'all 5.6 guys need to stop rubbing in how fast you are over us 3.7 guys. :nono: Jeez. :gotme

PostalsQ

https://youtu.be/d4vYX-EAkqM

YouTube video of a 2014 Q70 trying out top speed. He hits the wall at 140 mph. He writes his results in the video. I knew I felt like it was limited. So that over 150 speed has to be for you 5.6 guys. Not us 3.7's. So I'm hoping with the upcoming tuning I can turn off that 140 garbage limiter

armybrat
HPS intake hoses
Uprev tune

Notice that the ones who can do 150+ have the sport models. They come from the factory with the 20" wheels which come with W rated tires. The 18" wheels come with a lower speed V rated tires. I was told that the limiter is set from the factory based on this; liability issues and such. This is true for the other manufacturers as well.

nebojsa_o
Car: 2012 Infiniti M37x, 2002 Nissan Maxima SE, 1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL, 2007 Suzuki GSX-R600

I had my 3.7L hit the limiter at 225 km/h which is 140 mph as stated here. I was hoping it was at 150+ since my '02 Maxima SE is limited to 149.

PostalsQ

I have the sport model with 20's

Return to “Infiniti M37, M56, M35h Hybrid and Q70 Forum”