Too Much Play on FX50 Door Mirrors

A forum for lovers of Infiniti's hot-rod crossover, the FX! In 2014, all FX models will be named Infiniti QX70, in line with Infiniti's new naming structure.
CaribMon71
Car: 2009 FX50 Sport

Previous Car: 2008 EX35 Journey AWD

Just wondering if it is normal to have a lot of play on both door mirrors on the FX50 with automatic folding mirrors. I just bought a used 2009 FX50 and noticed that there's an unusual amount of play on the mirrors. I can wiggle them and they move quite a bit. When you shut the doors, they create an ugly rattle sound. And when driving, the driver-side mirror moves slightly every now and then; just enough to kind'a bug you. I'm referring to the entire housing, not just the reflective glass.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

InfinitiEric

The previous owner may have unmounted the side mirrors for some reason (they are required to be removed for side door/A-pillar repairs or speaker installations) and may not have secured the screws at the bottom of the mirror afterwards. Take a phillips head screwdriver and look underneath the entire side mirror assemblies. You should see two or three screw holes underneath with screws inside of them - try to tighten these screws. That should solve your problem.

CaribMon71

Thanks for the quick response. I'll take a look at that. But just to be clear, the base (where the mirror assembly attaches to the door) is securely fastened to the door. It does not wiggle there. It wiggles at the joint, where the mirrors fold. I had a VW Touareg with automatic folding mirrors and they did not have any play to them.

I'll still check what you said. Thanks!

InfinitiEric

No, no I understood. The screws underneath the mirror assembly are what secures the mirror portion of it to the base - exactly where you said it wiggles. Best of luck with the problem, I hope my suggestion helps. :)

CaribMon71

Going out there right now! Thanks!

InfinitiEric

Did you find the two/three screw holes underneath the mirror? If not, Infiniti may have changed the side mirror design since the 2006 model. I just took a look at the field service manuals for your 2009 FX50 and there was no mention of the screws underneath the side mirror, unlike previous models. If they truly aren't there, then I'm fresh out of suggestions aside from completely removing the side mirrors from the door and trying to tighten every screw in sight... :frown:

gofast24
Car: 2009 FX50S / All Options / Black w/Wheat

I have the same problem on my 09 FX50S but just the passenger side mirror. It's very slight so it didnt bother me too much. all the screws are tight. As it should still be under warranty why dont you take it to the dealer? Just curious, what did you pay for it? I got mine last year March for $49k, 5400 miles and loaded with everything but trailer hitch.

CaribMon71

Infiniti Eric, no screws under the mirror. I'll see if it can be addressed under the warranty. They may just tell me it's within the acceptable range. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

gofast24, sounds like you may have done better than me. I got mine loaded like yours, but with 15,500 miles. I paid $22,000 out the door, with all taxes and fees and also gave them my paid-off 2008 EX35 AWD Journey, which had every option available at the time I bought it.

Then again, my EX35 needed new tires and some slight repairs to the front, left fender due to a run-in with a Costco shopping cart. It also had a few small dings. I had paid $38,800 for it in August 2008, including taxes and fees. So I don't know how much it was really worth to them. The contract shows $47k for theirs, before taxes and fees; $27k trade allowance for mine.

I'd like to know what the "true" numbers were.

TunerM
Car: 09 FX 50S

I had a wiggle problem with my mirrors also. I closed them and reopened them till it stopped in the open position and it stopped the wiggle. If they are not all the way open it will wiggle. Which you can do when you press the button part way. Maybe you have something blocking it from opening all the way?

CaribMon71

No, I've checked and someone from the service dept took a look at it too. He tried telling me that someone probably bumped into both mirrors and that it would not be covered under warranty. Total bull. He said they would try to adjust them when the car is in for service.

I think they're going to have to fix them or replace them under warranty. Nobody has bumped into the mirrors and doing so would not loosen them at the swivel like that. I drove to NY this weekend and the driver side mirror was really moving a lot. Makes it very distracting to drive. I've had cars with folding mirrors and never had any issues with them.

TunerM
Car: 09 FX 50S

Its definitely not normal. If there is no damage or scuff on the outside of the mirror there should be no problem with the dealer fixing it. The dealer has to have a real reason not to warranty. I just had the dealer change 3 of my wheels for free because it had some bubbling of the paint near the center cap. They tried to get out of it asking if I leased the car. I just told them fix it.

CaribMon71

There is absolutely no damage to the finish on the mirrors. I have no idea how he arrived to the conclusion that someone had bumped into them. Incidentally, I was provided with a printout of the vehicle service history, which contains what appears to be the previous owner's telephone number. I feel a bit uncomfortable doing this, but I'm thinking of calling the person and asking if the vehicle always had the same issue. I will definitely not accept no for an answer as regards to having the issue repaired under warranty. The car only has 15K miles or so, so it shouldn't be experiencing this issue. Thanks for your feedback!

CaribMon71

Update:

I took the car in for service at the dealer. As it turns, there are bolts behind the puddle lights. They had somehow come loose. The dealer tightened them up and they're good as new. No more rattle. Well actually, I'm getting a strange little rattle whenever I shut the driver side door, but I can't make out where it's coming from. I took everything out of the pocket and made sure it wasn't the mirror. It's either inside the door or inside the panel on the body-side of the car.

Other than that, everything is fine. The FX-50 really is quite a gas guzzler if you're contending with city traffic, as I found out this week. But man, I love this thing!

Return to “Infiniti FX35 / FX45 / FX37 / FX50 / QX70 Forum”