Too many beeps

Discussion of Infiniti's amazing (and underrated) sport-luxury crossovers, the EX35 and EX37. For 2014, the EX series will be renamed QX50, in line with Ininfiit's new naming conventions.
Jackintx
Car: Infiniti EX 35

I've been having issues with the car beeping at me. I think that the source is a problem with the proximity detectors. I get beeps when stopped at a light with the transmission in drive. Sometimes I get beeps at a lower frequency, sometimes at a higher frequency. Anyone know of a way to figure out what the different frequencies mean? I'm going back to the dealer, but it would be nice to be able to figure this out in advance.

SalsAsianMike
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD Journey

The Sonar system works independently from putting the car in reverse, so when you're at a stoplight it's going off because the guy behind you is way too close.

You can turn off the Sonar system by pressing the button located on the lower left hand side of the steering wheel. You can find a graphic of it on page 0-6, item #6 in the manual, and a full description of the system starting on page 5-47.

I just turn mine off when I'm not going in reverse.

sluday
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD Journey Moonlight-nav-premium-tech-lux

You can adjust the sensitivity of the sensors in one of the set up menus. I would not turn the sensors off because it could save you thousands in bumper damage.

Jackintx

According to my manual (page5-47) the"The system detects front obstacles when the selector lever is in the "D" (Drive) position or "N" (Neutral) position and both front and rear obstacles when the selector lever is in the "R" (Rear) position. Unless the system is malfunctioning, a car behind me when I'm stopped at a light is not the problem.

I also have been told by the Dealer that you can only change the Sonar sensitivity if you have the Technology package.

mike995134
Car: 2008 Infiniti EX35

There are two "beep" frequencies ... one unique for the front and one for the rear.

As you get closer to an object, the "beeping" gets faster until it is one long continuous "beep". At that point I think you are within 3 inches of making contact with the object.

The sensors are designed to also detect objects protruding up from ground level ... so if a curb or median is high enough, and you are facing or adjacent to it, the sonar will detect that and start "beeping". This happens to me at some left hand turn lanes where there is a large island and I'm stopped along side.

But as another poster said, if you find the alerts annoying, you can turn off the senor by depressing the sonor button on the lower left-hand side of the dash.

Cheers ......

ecosse
Car: 2008 EX35 (Black Obsidian with Chestnut Leather)

I also find that the proximity sensors beep unexpectedly when sitting at certain traffic lights with no one around and no raised curbs in sight.Are we the only people who experience this?

dividedhighw
Car: 2008 EX35 AWD (Technology Pkg)

Hmm ... you might want to get that checked out by the dealer - they shouldn't go off for no reason.

Welcome to the group! (It's nice to have more Canadians on-board! )

MALEX

On my way to work, there is a specific stop light that causes my EX to beep if I am the first car waiting at the light in the right-hand lane. When it first happened, I thought the guy behind me was too close. Then it happened when I was the only car waiting at the light. There are no high curbs or anything like that. Maybe its the sensor under the pavement that is used to detect cars waiting at the light? Doesn't make sense, as I thought these were magnetic.... Then again, how do the proximity sensors on the EX work - ultrasonic?

EX-lover

No, you aren't the only one. My car has the same problem. My wife and I think it might be a bug/mosquitos. However, if my assumption is right, then i guess it shouldn't beep in winter, we'll see....

Punjab
Car: EX35

I have also noticed this beeping however it is always consistent with a location.. not random so my theory is that some lights or stop sign locations might have radar sensors for light activation or i have noticed a dip in the road say 5-10 feet ahead so the road in front is higher which may be giving a false reading. well that leaves me with no more ideas other than aliens....

Ah Q
Car: 04 Murano SE & 08 EX 35

I am experiencing this too. I do have one theory in addition to the traffic signal one (which i think it is one of the cause).

today, I was waiting at a traffic light, and there is a sports car (don't remember which kind) in front of me. As the light turns green, he takes off and left some exhausts. As soon as that happen, the beep starts, and goes away. The reason i think it was the exhaust is below:1. The light already changed, and my car did not move after i stop at the light. 2. Since exhaust are consists of Carbon Monoxide and Carbon dioxide, there would be possible carbon particles big enough to fool the radar.

Just some guess though.

SteveTheTech
Car: 15 Sentra SR
12 G37x Coupe
-Formerly-
05 Mazda 6 L3 Sport, 95 J30, 94 D22

This is an interesting problem you guys are having.

The sonar sensors send a small ultrasonic signal out, something is contacting the sound waves and the signal is reverberated to the senor and based on the amount of time it takes for the sensor to receive the signal the SONAR unit makes the judgment of distance.

What I am wondering is I do not think the system is active above ~5MPH (although I am not positive) so that would explain why they would activate at a stop.

Maybe the sensors do in fact have bugs or something on them, and the thought of the CO being detected maybe true as well as the moisture content of the exhaust plume will also reflect sonar signals. That is the basic operation of DOPLAR on a different frequency scale but same concept.

I wonder if the sensors are receiving signal interference from some type of frequency generator at or near the stop light. Next time you are at the light take a second to look around and see if maybe there is a red light camera, or something electronic there. I am just curious.

Return to “Infiniti EX35 / EX37 and QX50 / QX55 Forum”