Tomei cams/stock exhaust cam for ca18det

Discuss topics related to the CA18DE and CA18DET series engines.
harukisan
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx coupe right hand drive, sr20det and 1989 JDM Silvia Ks model w/CA18DET

I have been trying to find an exhaust cam for a ca18det. Does anyone know if I can say move my stock exhaust cam over to the intake side and put a tomei 256 degree 8.5 exhaust cam in my exhaust side? Would there be any problems with that? would the timing gears have to be adjusted or ?? I tell you I would just by the Tomei poncams set if they were available but everyone says (and even the parts guys in Japan) that it is going to probably take a couple of months to get them. I have heard the deal about putting a Ca16 exhaust cam in the intake side. any advice out there?

Izento
Car: RPS13

I don't know where you're from, but in USA, Tomei poncams are usually in stock at FRSport or Enjukuracing. You'll love the upgrade, it really wakes up the mid-range.

float_6969
Car: CA18DET swapped 1995 Nissan 240sx (too many mods to list)
2015 SV Leaf w/QC & Bose (daily)

Moving the exhaust cam to the intake side is possible, but either requires that you have the cam off a tooth (I don't remember which direction) or that you have a cam gear on it. Then running a Tomei exhaust cam is fine. But as Izento said, I don't think that getting Tomei cams in the US is hard to do.

harukisan
Car: 1989 Nissan 240sx coupe right hand drive, sr20det and 1989 JDM Silvia Ks model w/CA18DET

Hey Thanks Guys, I've called everybody in the USA (including Enjuku and FRSport) .and a few in Japan, you are right they have SR20 cams but no one has the CA18DET cams in the lash type in 256 degrees. Japan said 4 - 6 weeks and the USA guys said that they can see Tomei's inventory and they don't have them so it's special order and then a slow boat to the USA, that's as of 08/19/2016. Anyway those Tomei cam sets for the one I want (I'm talking CA18DET) are 256 degree 8.5 lift or whatever for Both the Intake and Exhaust side so i'm thinking it should be no big deal to say use the stock exhaust cam which is 248 degrees 8.5 on both the intake and exhaust sides with the same type of results because the guy at Tomei USA told me that the Lash/Hydraulic type cams they make are designed as straight drop ins without any changes to the Cam Gears. Anyway I am just looking for solutions to my broken exhaust cam pin and missing timing cover dowel pin in hopes of correcting a squeaking noise that is a result of my timing cover being out of alignment and messing up my CAS's (I've been through about 3 already). I put on a New CAS and my mystery noises go away for about a day, then (I'm guessing that the bearing in the CAS goes bad again) and my noises return.I posted a video of the noises.
Oh yea BTW Izento, I live in South Carolina but I'm from Hawaii and San Francisco CA.

float_6969

harukisan

Thanks, I left a message for those guys but I think I already asked them and was told they are not in stock. Anyway I thought I asked most ebay vendors too and was told no dice , the ones I asked all appologized and said there post was a mistake or the item has to be special ordered . I'll see.
Thanks

harukisan

Just as I thought, New message from: titanmotorsports Top Rated Seller(18,104YellowShooting Star)
Hi,
we do not have these in stock at the moment
That's what everyone that claims to have these in stock or posted on ebay says...BS

float_6969

Damn, that's annoying

dash
Car: s13 ca18

yeah, those alignment dowels are critical
try jim wolf. Some clubmember who worked there say they could replace the broken D in the exhaust cam (same as the z32 300zx)
Get a good used cam from a nico member ?
Dunno if the oz/nz still offer regrinds.... seen some used in some impressive performing ca18 builds

Early cam grinders always ran more duration on the intake lobe than the exhaust, for turbo applications
A few sxoc members did that on their ca18s also. Could probably still find their dyno plots over there
Dunno the science behind it, but maybe done for more torque?

r34 gtr
Car: 98 Frontier XE 4x4
95.5 Audi URS6 Avant 5spd
03 BMW 330i ZHP 6spd
89 240sx base CA18DET

If you can find a set of CA16DE cams, that would probably be ideal. You should also be able to find information about the "double exhaust cam" trick. At least enough to know how they need to be degree'd. If you have a Tomei Poncam for your exhaust, chances are it won't need to be adjusted. If it is a Procam, it might be the opposite.

Some more information might help?

harukisan

Thanks, I have found a used stock cam and the dowel pins I am looking for from a shop in Greece. This guy has lots of CA18DET parts. I was only thinking of the Tomei poncams because I thought it might be easier, which turns out not to be the case and the real issue was that I need at least one of those dowels pins for aligning my CAS correctly. My car runs really good as is, it was just the squeaking noise from the miss-alignment of the CAS that is driving me crazy. I thought it was the alternator, then the AC compressor, had them rebuilt, checked all the pulleys they are all good. The noise goes away every time I change to a new CAS but returns in a day or two. So I am thinking it is an alignment issue. Now I only need to wait for the parts to come from Greece and see if they are in good condition and install. I will let the forum know how it turns out. The noise is posted in a video in a related post to this one.
Thanks again for your help.

boost_boy
Car: B12 sentra w/built CA18DET, B12 sentra w/fully-built CA18DET, S13 coupe w/ CA18DET, S13 hatch w/CA18DET, 2002 maxima SE

Ouch! I have multiple exhaust camshafts as well as aftermarket camshafts that I'm not using. Just saw this stuff as I've been busy with everything else. Hope it works out for you and help you get your car going again.

harukisan

Thanks guys for all your help. I have replaced the exhaust cam and guide pins in the upper timing belt cover and so far that nagging noise has gone away.

bentvalves
Car: 89 Silvia K's

the end of the cam where the CAS gets stabbed needs an appropriate amount of high temp lithium grease packed in there. food for thought.

Return to “CA18DE / CA18DET Forum”