To V8 or not to V8??

Forum for Infiniti M35 and M45, and Nissan Fuga owners.
TXSJaybird

Hey fellas,

I just ran into this site. Very cool so far.

I know I will be purchasing a new 2006 M soon. I am in love with this car! My conflict is whether to get the M35 or M45. That is my question.

I drove them both, and I thought the V6 was good.....til I hopped in the M45. Damn I wish I hadnt done that....

I drive my car for work, put about 30k miles a year on it, and with the gas prices on the rise....the practical side in me is saying stick with the V6 (280 horsies aint bad)

Im just afraid I will kick myself in the *** if I pass on the V8. The local dealer here has a ton of FX35s on the lot.....people traded them in for the FX45.

Anyone out there in a similar dilemma? I would love some feedback.

Thanks-

Jay

elwesso
Car: 94 Infiniti Q45t 5 spd
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

It certainly is an interesting dillemma when you have to chose between a V6 and a V8 in a new car isnt it!! My dillemma is choosing what I want to fix on the car ... Unfortunately conflicts in buying a new infiniti vs owning an old Q45 are seldom similar!

Anyway, there is some thought that needs to go behind this.... The VK45DE (V8 in the M45) is a very impressive motor indeed The VQ35DE (V6) is also a very impressive motor, it has somewhat stood the test of time, and has gotten numerous awards from various institutions...

Remember that since the VQ35 is used in other cars that have manuals, a manual swap may be possible in the future.. WAY future, but who would have thought we'd be supercharging Q45s!!! My guess is you wont keep the car that long.. THis also opens up many doors for modifications you can do.. The VK has basically no aftermarket, the VQ has all the aftermarket you could need!!!

Despite the similar HP numbers, they are really different engines. The VQ is a very peppy motor, and due to its instantaneous reactions to driver input it can make any car feel sporty... However, the VK still remains the king, it is just pure effortless power... If engines could talk...

VQ, "Im faster than you are"VK, "try me"

Im going to be brutally honest with you, if your considering the difference in gas on this expensive of a car, theres something strange about that... Memebers here, including our official M forum moderator, Z, has shown to get 26 MPG on the highway. I would surmise that you drive mostly highway, if you put on 30k yearly... The V6 wont get that much better mileage on the highway... if you really think about it, 2-3 MPG difference can be seen by switching brands of gas. hardly noticeable.....

I say get the V8... YOU WONT REGRET IT!!!!! those 2 extra cylinders will really help things out!

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

By the way, take my advice with a grain of salt. Im just a poor infiniti owner wishing I could even drive a new M

My facts may not be straight... Im sure right now, Z is preparing another awesome post

CrimsonQ
Car: Purple People Eater

yep, and that m35 will always lack the one thing the m45 has......that gurgly wonderful, heart stoppin V8 rumble

szh
Car: 2018 Tesla Model 3.

Unfortunately, no longer a Nissan or Infiniti, but continuing here at NICO!

elwesso wrote:By the way, take my advice with a grain of salt. Im just a poor infiniti owner wishing I could even drive a new M

My facts may not be straight... Im sure right now, Z is preparing another awesome post
Actually, Wes, I think you have said it very well - I can barely add anything to it, except to summarize perhaps!

Z

szh

Hi, Jay.

Welcome to NICO and to this forum. Hopefully, we will provide you with all the information to help you with the question you asked!
TXSJaybird wrote:I know I will be purchasing a new 2006 M soon. I am in love with this car! My conflict is whether to get the M35 or M45. That is my question.

I drove them both, and I thought the V6 was good.....til I hopped in the M45. Damn I wish I hadnt done that....

I drive my car for work, put about 30k miles a year on it, and with the gas prices on the rise....the practical side in me is saying stick with the V6 (280 horsies aint bad)

Im just afraid I will kick myself in the *** if I pass on the V8. The local dealer ere has a ton of FX35s on the lot.....people traded them in for the FX45.

Anyone out there in a similar dilemma? I would love some feedback.
A wonderful dilemma to be in! They are both outstanding cars. I am not going to be able to add much more than what Wes has already said!

I will point you to a two-year old post of mine where I had a sorta similar (not quite the same) decision and a did a later comparison: zerothread?id=41491. Not all the comments are relevant, of course, since many of the concerns I had about the interior of the G35 do not apply to your decision - the M35 and M45 are essentially the same car, merely different engine!

I had gone to the Infiniti dealer to buy a G35 and ended up buying the M45 instead. The test drive was the clincher - the smoothness of power in a V-8 compared to the V-6 was a no-brainer, as far as I was concerned. At high rpm's and high speeds, the M45 does not seem to strain at all, where the G35 became a little raucous. I have not driven the new M35 or the M45, but since the VQ engine is similar to the G35, I might expect the results to be a bit similar in that regard, although the quieter interior of the M35 may make the difference a bit less perceptible than in the G35!

Also, as Wes pointed out, the gas mileage difference is actually not that much of a difference. The M45 is rated 17/23 and the M35 is rated 18/25. In most cases, this will have only a small difference in total gas operating cost. In my M45, I get a monthly average of about 16.5 to 17.5 mpg (with 70% highway and 30% city driving) - I don't think the G35 or M35 will be dramatically better than that ... maybe 1 or 1.5 mpg at best.

When maintaining the car, there will be a small difference in cost too - the M45 takes more of some things (oil, plugs, etc.) but, again, you are comparing two fairly expensive cars. The cost of routine maintenance will be higher than the average car sold in the US regardless.

So ... I (and the decision is personal) would pick the M45 over the M35 in a heartbeat. But you will not go wrong with either car really!

Z

MinisterofDOOM
Car: 1962 Corvair Monza
1961 Corvair Lakewood
1974 Unimog 404
1997 Pathfinder XE
2005 Lincoln LS8
Former:
1995 Q45t
1993 Maxima GXE
1995 Ranger XL 2.3
1984 Coupe DeVille

Well said all around.To me, the M35 is pointless.If you're going to buy a luxury performance toy--er...sedan--do it right!!(Of course, my whole argument here is assuming you can afford either one).

Everytime I see someone driving around in an M35, I want to open the door and throttle them. The choice is rather simple for me. It comes down to this:The car is big. The V8 is big.The VQ is a wonderful engine, I love it--I drive one nearly every day. But for a car the size of the M, the VK is clearly the better choice--at least, in my mind. Yes, the VQ is capable of very impressive hp/liter numbers (closing on ferrari territory) and has a beautiful torque curve, but the feel of the VK and how it makes it's power so smoothly and effortlessly, it's hard not to see which is the better option.I think perhaps if the M35 came with a 6 or 7 speed auto or a 6 speed manual, the VQ would show it's potential even better. But apparently it gets into winded mode at high RPMs in this car (again, it's a teensy bit big for a 3.5 liter) and that's not something I'd want to have to deal with.

But then, really, as Z said, you can't go wrong with either. Both are great. It's just very clear which is the best of the two--at least, for this application.

louiegz
Car: 2003 BMW 330i, 2007 Audi A3 3.2 Quattro

TXSJaybird wrote:I drove them both, and I thought the V6 was good.....til I hopped in the M45. Damn I wish I hadnt done that....
I don't know how long you keep your cars, but if you keep it for a long time, get what you realy want and you'll be happy. If you like the 45 that much more than the 35, you'll forget about the extra $7000.00 you spent. Personally, if it was my money, I'd get the M35x, but that's because I hate swaping snow tires in the winter, but you don't have that problem in Texas.

gniknave
Car: 2000 Audi A6 2.8 Quattro
2008 Honda Civic EX (Sedan)

Infiniti sales guy here...

My suggestion is as simple as this:

If you know you're going to kick yourself for not getting a 45, then get the 45. If you can spare the extra cash for the 45 and you know you want the 45, get the 45. If you can deal with paying a little extra for gas even though you need premium either way you go, get the 45.

Any questions?

For myself, I would just get the G35 if I wanted the V6. It's more useful for that car imo. I find that people who don't have the income for the M45 - yet like the styling, or an older couple that doesn't see the need for a V8 make the majority of M35 buyers. You can also say people -- possibly like yourself who put high miles per year on their vehicles tend to prefer the less expensive and more simple maintenance of the V6 over the latter.

Modified by Ev_eezy at 9:35 AM 7/18/2005

TXSJaybird

Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess you need to hear it from others to put it into perspective sometimes!

I now realize theres not much gas milage difference. Thats good.

There is a silver M35 Sport sitting on a lot right down the street, with the full body kit, tint, and bourbon interior, they will sell for $45k.THATS also why im having a tough decision....its a demo at a killer price. The GM has been driving it.

I want to go buy it reaallly bad, but I keep holding back for the V8. You guys have helped me resist! Thanks!!

The search continues....

gniknave
Car: 2000 Audi A6 2.8 Quattro
2008 Honda Civic EX (Sedan)

Hmmm. I'll tell you, you can't go wrong on a deal for a demo. I'd be tempted to take that and run! 280 horses ain't shabby...Just remember a G now puts out 298...

szh

Either way, Jay, let us know how the decision goes!

And stay connected with NICO regardless! Pictures, buying experience, driving experiences, mods, etc. are all welcome here. Helps other people come into the Infiniti camp!

Z

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

szhosain wrote:Either way, Jay, let us know how the decision goes!

And stay connected with NICO regardless! Pictures, buying experience, driving experiences, mods, etc. are all welcome here. Helps other people come into the Infiniti camp!

Z

Even if I cant afford an M, i can live vicariously through someone else!

350zQ45a
Car: 350Z, Q45A

My friend just bought a 2006 M45 sport, he says the sticker only indicated 1 mpg difference in the city, and maybe 2 on the highway.

Look the V6 is a great engine, and you really won't notice much difference unless you're applying wide open throttle. That being said I'd take the v8 in a heartbeat, it's just a better engine.

The V6 feels like it is falling apart at high RPMS, it's like that in every car it's in The Z/G/M/FX.. The V8 pulls strongly and effortlessly to the redline, and has a better sound.

If you have the means, I highly recommend the M45, it's so choice.

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

350zQ45a wrote:My friend just bought a 2006 M45 sport, he says the sticker only indicated 1 mpg difference in the city, and maybe 2 on the highway.

Look the V6 is a great engine, and you really won't notice much difference unless you're applying wide open throttle. That being said I'd take the v8 in a heartbeat, it's just a better engine.

The V6 feels like it is falling apart at high RPMS, it's like that in every car it's in The Z/G/M/FX.. The V8 pulls strongly and effortlessly to the redline, and has a better sound.

I pretty much agree with that 100%

szh

350zQ45a wrote:My friend just bought a 2006 M45 sport, he says the sticker only indicated 1 mpg difference in the city, and maybe 2 on the highway.

Exactly! I think we are all in agreement here!

Z

maxnix
Car: 1995 Infiniti Q45
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Ev_eezy wrote:...Just remember a G now puts out 298...
With 6M only.

TXSJaybird

HAHA! It is so choice ! Havent heard that line in a while! perfect....

Im definately going with the M45, been calling around, there seem to be more and more on the lots here in Houston.

At first it was all M35's. Guess they finally realized this is TEXAS!

szh

TXSJaybird wrote:Im definately going with the M45
Yay!!!

Z

szh

Jay.

Treat the engine right from day one! There is another thread in this forum inre oil consumption that you should read. I don't know if it is applicable to your engine, since Infiniti did tweak it for the 2006, but it cannot hurt to follow the guidelines I posted! Don't baby the car and do a few early oil changes.

Z

350zQ45a

As a Z owner, I feel short changed that my Z doesn't contain the VK45.

You see the VK makes its power smooth, effortlessly. The VQ really has to work for it, and you can feel and hear it.

I'd get rid of this car in a second if that Vk was in anything with a 6 speed or coupe.

The engine has been out since 2001 and they really havn't had to do or change anything. It was way ahead of its time then, and still is among the best today.

While the new Vq has 298 it lost torque, and hasn't proven to be any quicker versus the 287 hp model.

The horsepower diff may be small, but the torque difference is KEY. The VK doesn't need to work and will continue to pull hard. The VQ is really working, and it just doesn't feel that great higher rpms.

That's one reason the 3 series is so much better, the inline engine is a dream.

Please buy the V8. If you're like me, I can't afford to buy Junk. I'd rather pay the difference and own the best, it's not like a savings of a pinto against a ferrari.

350zQ45a

The engine is so good it makes me want to buy a car that its in even though I really don't like the car much. I wish I had a F50 or Y34 some times just for that engine.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

350zQ45a wrote:1)As a Z owner, I feel short changed that my Z doesn't contain the VK45.

2)I'd get rid of this car in a second if that Vk was in anything with a 6 speed or coupe.

3)The engine has been out since 2001 and they really havn't had to do or change anything. It was way ahead of its time then, and still is among the best today.

4)While the new Vq has 298 it lost torque, and hasn't proven to be any quicker versus the 287 hp model.
1) that would be nice..2)I have more power with my current Mods than an unmodded VK3)Its lighter than VH45de4)Actually the area under the torque curve is significantly imporved.Also internal upgrades especially to the rods make hogh hp goals safer w/o internals upgrade

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

Fred I recall seeing a post that the VK is actually heavier than the VH45..

maxnix
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

elwesso wrote:Fred I recall seeing a post that the VK is actually heavier than the VH45..
It is significantly lighter by I believe about 35 lbs. One reason Nissan went to an open deck design.

Is it as robust and strong? No. The VH closed deck blocks are really over engineered, but that is why they can go 300K miles plus.

The Porche V8 is a closed deck design (helps with torbocharging, I am sure), but don't know which others are.

350zQ45a

PalmerWMD wrote:
1) that would be nice..2)I have more power with my current Mods than an unmodded VK3)Its lighter than VH45de4)Actually the area under the torque curve is significantly imporved.Also internal upgrades especially to the rods make hogh hp goals safer w/o internals upgrade
1. Yea it would be nice, the VQ is kinda garbage.2. And you spent so much more. So that really isn't fair. The VK is 10x the engine the VQ is. I still haven't seen you deny the VQ feels like crap at higher rpms, just admit it.. it does.

4. Who cares? The performance is identical. The car has lost torque. If its gods gift to engine it could post up better accel times, well guess what it doesn't. So you can go rave about the torque curve and upgraded internals, but if your going NA both engines will go just as far, and neither has a noticeable diff. So again who cares.

The competition is increasing HP, the VQ just isn't going to cut it. Time to go V8.

maxnix
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Actuallly, the VQ and VK exhibit the same design philosophies: open deck blocks, light tension rings, short piston skirts, etc.

350zQ45a

yea maybe they do, but they feel very different. I own a Vq so when I trash it, believe me, it's not because i want to.

I'd rather be a fanboy like most 350 owners, but the truth trumps fanboyism.

Just about every magazine not jsut myself have commented on the VQ at higher rpms, it's just not that great.

One of the reasons the inline engines of the 3 help it to still be a better car price aside.

maxnix
1995 Infiniti Q45t
2000 Infiniti Q45

Well, I agree with you that in the upper rpm ranges, while the VQ is very powerful, it is not as settled as the VK and VH V8. Just seems like it is trying very hard.

All are sucessful designs in what they try to achieve.

elwesso
2007 BMW M Coupe
2007 Infiniti G35 S 6MT

I think that when they designed these later engines, they made them about what they are.. Meaning, they engineered a 300HP engine (in the VQ) and onlyslightly detuned it... I think on the converse, the VH45 was engineered to say more like a 500HP engine, and detuned to 300hp... Im just talking from a design perspective.....

I agree with Ryan, when I drove a G35, albiet an auto, the upper RPM power was there but it just wasnt graceful... Seems like it was really struggling, like it was being pushed to the ragged edge..... maybe thats what they were going for, to make it seem like the car is going faster??? I dont know... The VQ is an impressive engine in its own right, but when it comes to bottom line design, it doesnt hold its own against the VH and the VG, IMHO...

Return to “Infiniti M35 and M45 Forum”