To those with LS1 swaps/knowledge

V8 240sx? Sure! If either the chassis OR the engine is non-Nissan (i.e. SR20 in an RX-7 or LS1 in a 240sx), we've done it.
TurboS13Coupe
Car: 1993 Nissan 240sx Coupe

Hey guys. new to the forums had a few questions. I bought a s13 coupe shell and have been saving up for an engine swap. My choices have been between the 2JZ, Rb26 and LS1/LQ9. I've been leaning towards the LS1 because I like a V8 and aftermarket prices are cheaper than the 2JZ or Rb26. Had two questions though:

Which mounts do most people use? I was looking at the Daft and McKinney sets but didn't know if one would be better than the other.

I want to do a custom turbo kit on the car if I go with the LS1. I figure room is cramped and looking at some pictures I couldn't tell if a front mounted setup would be possible. I had seen one on a S14, but at the angle the picture was taken it was hard to tell. Not looking to do rear mount setup either.

Any info appreciated!

forced240
Car: 1995 240sx

LS1. Sorry I cant help with any info i looked into it briefly and if I could go back and do everything all over again thats what I would do. Solid 400hp with just the swap. and they sound so sweet.

cnichols
Car: 96 Nissan 240SX, 99 Infiniti Q45, 93 Ford Fastiva

There is a thread just below this one with another alternative...the mounts I'm using. These pictures might give you a better idea of how much room you will have, but in my opinion a turbo setup is unnecessary and will only add headache and cost to an already great swap.

forced240
Car: 1995 240sx

holy s*** dude that is so sexy. where did you find the motor? and if you dont mind what tranny are you using and how much was the whole swap?

cnichols

Found my first LS1 on eBay from a private seller who had wrecked his Camaro. Newest one I picked up off of LS1Tech. I first used the Camaro T56 6speed, but upgraded to the GTO T56 6 speed because it has the same gearing as the Corvette and the better synchros as well.

As far as money, I have no way of even guessing because it's been together for 3 years and I've sold/changed/added so many things I stopped keeping track.

TurboS13Coupe

Good looking swap man, definately doesn't look like there is room for a turbo. Might have to look into a supercharger.

Next question: do any of the transmission brackets bolt up too an auto tranny? A friend is looking to sell his ls1/th350 combo for cheap and I'm considering picking it up

Blown240sx
Car: 1996 240sx

There is actually plenty of room for a turbo if you relocate the battery. If you look around there are several 240sx with turbo LS motors in them.

TurboS13Coupe

Well I've been looking and couldn't find any so point me in the right direction. I found one but you couldn't see the engine side where the turbo was in the pics

Blown240sx
Car: 1996 240sx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CSwCdB- ... re=related

I believe there was another build on here with a Turbo LS1.

Im using Ebay ford mustang shorty headers, with LS1 flanges reversed mounted and cut to clear the rails. It will clear nicely and you should have plenty of room where the battery use to be.

prestage3ek

cnichols wrote:I first used the Camaro T56 6speed, but upgraded to the GTO T56 6 speed because it has the same gearing as the Corvette and the better synchros as well.
Now im fairly new, but I thought I had read that you cant use the T56 from a GTO, you have to use one from a Camaro/Firebird because of where the shifter is? Did you do a special modification to do this, or does this only apply to certain year 240's?

cnichols

prestage3ek wrote:
cnichols wrote:I first used the Camaro T56 6speed, but upgraded to the GTO T56 6 speed because it has the same gearing as the Corvette and the better synchros as well.
Now im fairly new, but I thought I had read that you cant use the T56 from a GTO, you have to use one from a Camaro/Firebird because of where the shifter is? Did you do a special modification to do this, or does this only apply to certain year 240's?
GTO transmission works just fine...the outer dimensions are identical to the F-body T-56, it just has a few different ratios (same as the Corvette) and better synchros. You just either use the shifter from a GTO or replace the shifter cup at the end of the linkage with the F-body one and use an F-body shifter. Very simple and very easy to change if necessary. Whoever said you can't use the T56 from a GTO is a moron and needs to shut up and stop spreading false information because I've done it and it's been working for 2 years now with ZERO issues.

Return to “Hybrids”