To ABS or Not to ABS, That is the Question!

General Discussion forum for Versa Owners
kmil123
Car: Jaguar X-Type

About 95 % of my driving is done "in town" so might I be better off with the regular brake setup? I feel that they may well be more useful if I did the majority of miles on the highway. What say you?
Modified by kmil123 at 8:31 PM 10/1/2006

Ever Victorious
Car: '08 Kia Spectra5, '73 AMC Hornet

It's more of a question of the type of weather and the aggressiveness of the drivers in your area.

The worse the weathers and the worse the drivers, the more ABS makes sense.

(And I know this is going to turn into yet another argument on the matter)

proxim2020

Try this link. There was a pretty lengthy discussion/debate on this topic. A fair amount of intelligent arguments were given for both sides.

zerothread/198242

jacksan1

A guy who manages the Consumer Reports online forum recently wrote that in the CR's testing of ABS and non-ABS equipped Versas, a difference showed up in the tests. He recommened the ABS for the Versa. He did not elaborate further than that, which I assume is because the full test results of the Versa (and the Fit and Yaris, among others) will not come out until the December issue of CR, to be published in November.

kmil123
Car: Jaguar X-Type

Jacksan1

Thank you for the CR info. I'm sure that I/We will find it most useful. Would you agree with going the ABS route even though 95% of my driving is "in town" as I posted?

Ever Victorious

jacksan1 wrote:A guy who manages the Consumer Reports online forum recently wrote that in the CR's testing of ABS and non-ABS equipped Versas, a difference showed up in the tests. He recommened the ABS for the Versa. He did not elaborate further than that, which I assume is because the full test results of the Versa (and the Fit and Yaris, among others) will not come out until the December issue of CR, to be published in November.
Having done a couple panic stops in a non-ABS Versa already, I would assume this is because of the car's tendancy to fishtail under heavy braking...

jacksan1

Would you agree with going the ABS route even though 95% of my driving is "in town" as I posted?

I am a strong proponent of ABS in any vehicle. It is by no means perfect, but does give you an extra margin in certain critical situations. I have a personal experience or two in which I would have been in an accident had it not been for what ABS gave me, which was the ability to steer under full braking in a slippery condition. And yes, I was "in town" when these situations came up.

With Versa's ABS, you also get an advantage of EBD, which further helps in a slippery condition. For the price of the ABS package, you get so much out of it.

BenzTech Gone Versa
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa 1.8SL

ABS Is The right way to go.i flew through a red light when i locked up my versa.i wasnt going that fast,its a cheap option i wish i went with it!

Ever Victorious

I agree. I've locked up the brakes 3 times during hard braking so far on the V. XterraVersa said his stayed true on its course, but all three times, mine has fishtailed pretty badly (kicking the rear to the right). I don't know if it's the condition of our roads here vs. where XterraV lives, or if it's something wrong with my brakes, but it scares the bejesus out of me.

BenzTech Gone Versa
Car: 2007 Nissan Versa 1.8SL

i just locked them up this morning and my cvt felt like it was slipping!!!i shut of the engine and restarted and still felt slipage.i just drove up to highway speed and it was ok.i drove it for 30 mins and it was normal again.some A hole cut me off and i had to stop short again(locking it up again)and the cvt trans did the slipage thing again!but soon as i drive it to around 45 mph it goes away,normal again!i dunno man freaky stuff.

Return to “Versa General Chat”