Titanium interior trim scratch

Discussion forum for body kits, repair, modifications, interior styling, Audio / Video and internal/external lighting.
DenverG35c
Car: Motor sports, computer solitaire...

I just noticed a couple of scatches on my interior door pull. I have no idea how they got there and when I lightly dragged a fingernail across them, the paint came off really easily. Has anyone had any luck complaining about this and getting Infiniti to replace the part? It seems really shoddy to me, like the surface wasn't primed to bond well with the paint. I'm sure glad I don't have the titanium console.

PalmerWMD
Car: 2004 350Z

Maybe you have a defecive part?

I imagine the dealer could be open to a free replacement.

Fred...:)

DenverG35c

I'm definitely going to see what the dealer will do. Still it would be nice to know if others have had success getting the problem remedied.

rydwhite
Car: 2003 G35 Coupe

I have a scratch on my passenger side door pull. It does seem pretty shoddy, or maybe just cheap. I haven't asked the dealer about it, but I am fairly certain that they wouldn't replace it for free. I am sure they can order the part and install it, but it would probably cost an arm and leg to do. All you can do though, is give it a try.

DenverG35c

I took my coupe into the dealer to see what they would do about my interior trim problem described above. The answer? "When do you want to bring it in?" I'm having the door pull replaced tomorrow.

The customer service rep said that they had seen the problem with other cars. So I urge anyone with the same scratched door pull issue to go to their dealers so that maybe Infiniti will find a better parts supplier or at least come up with a permanent solution. If not, it looks like I'll be replacing the flawed parts about every 4 months or so until the warranty runs out.

rydwhite

How much does it cost or is the dealer giving you a free deal to replace it?

DenverG35c

Free. Its covered by the warranty. Paint shouldn't practically fly off a trim piece.

rydwhite

Sweet, Thanks for the info. I will have to get my car up there to the dealer and have them fix that.

GeeThreeFive

Thanks for the info. I have a couple scratches on my drivers side handle, but I figured I did it with my ring. I never thought that they might replace it for free. I have a 100,000 mile warranty so that will be alot of door handles.

DenverG35c

Funny you should post this today. I just noticed a couple scratches on the piece that surrounds the cruise control buttons. Seeing that all new Nissan/Infiniti products are using basically the same steering wheel design this problem is happening to a lot of people.

Though I love all the other aspects of my car, the interiors done on-the-cheap is pretty disappointing. I'm thinking of covering all the faux titanium with some clear bra material or maybe a really light window tint film.

Meanwhile the new Nissan/Infiniti owners' manuals should read, "Don't touch any of the shiny interior bits and pieces as this could lead to premature wear-and-tear." Thus relieving them of replacing parts under warranty.

PalmerWMD

Actually with so much good and expesnsive hardware in the car and such a low price vs its competitors, I feel some cost -cutting somewhere was inevitable.

rydwhite

Yeah, I agree with you Fred. That was the major complaint from Motor Trend and several other reviews I read. The interior looked a little cheap. But, I can live with it. It doesn't look terrible, but it could use an upgrade in quality. It deffinelty shouldn't scratch so easily.

All in all though, the car is very nice. The seats are nice, but the plastics are a little cheap. Performance wise the car is great for the money and for exterior style the car is even better. My only complaints really are the interior plastics and the thin exterior paint.

I wouldn't get rid of mine though.

Ryan

GeeThreeFive

Took mine G35 Coupe in today. They ordered a new door pull, new seat belt retractors, fixed the recall for the brake light and both of my side windows have a smudge down them where something is rubbing inside the door. Then I decided to order chrome dipped rims. I can't wait to get them on.It will be hot! Black on Black, tinted windows, gold emblems and chrome rims. What more could I ask for except to be 15 years younger!

DenverG35c

What are you doing with your old rims? Are they 18s? Can I have them, huh, huh?

rydwhite

Let me know what they do with the window smudge. I have the same problem. I never thought of taking i to the dealer to have them look at it. I should think sometimes.

GeeThreeFive

:sad I took my G35 in to the service department to have my seatbelt retractors replaced, the smudges down the windows looked at and my door handle replaced. Well, I got my seatbelts working, my door handle ordered and they did something to the brake light that was recalled. But he told me they took the door panel off and cleaned the smudge off but couldn't find out what it was. It is even making a thin scratch down the tinting. I could tell he didn't take the door panel off and the smudge hadn't been touched. He was lying. They had given me a loner for the night. He didn't have me sign anything, just handed over the keys. There was no registration in the car, good thing I didn't get pulled over or in a wreck. When I picked up my car the mileage counter had been reset to zero. I can't prove it, but I know my odometer had went from 9065 to 9129. He just happens to live in Stockton about 30 miles away. He didn't complete any paperwork when I dropped it off or it would have had the mileage on it. On the passengers side above the glovebox is a scrape on the leather dash that is permanent, but I can't prove that it wasn't there before. I was just sick about the whole thing. He thought I was some dumb blonde but he doesn't now who he is messing with. This dealership had just opened up about a month ago and I think I was the first customer at the service dept. The manager didn't know anything, he used to be a parts manager for Mercedez. The mechanic was in the shop playing solitare on the computer. They were the only 2 working there. I will be contacting his boss on Monday.And to answer the chrome rim question, I have 17" rims not 18", sorry.

PalmerWMD

Thats horrbile!!

You should talkto service manager right away!their job depends on satisfied customers.

The reason you didnt fill anything out, that way no satisfaction form gets sent to you ,from Infinti corporate, when no service records exits.

If the service manager doesnt fix your concerns you nedd to talk to the genral Manager of the dealership!

Fred...

GeeThreeFive

He was the service manager! I stopped by the dealership and one of the guys I was told to talk to opened his drawer and pulled out the registration for the car I was driving. He was under the impression that they were not using it for a loner yet. He was definitely busted on that one. I am suppose to talk to the General Manager on Monday. I just don't want him to know it was me or next time I probably will get the run around about everything. He told me when I left the first time that the door is open for me anytime. Yeah, so he can ride in style that night when he takes his wife out to dinner.

PalmerWMD

I dont think the missing registration ion the loaner is the part thats the big deal, but the non performance of service , the suspiciosu extra milage and perhaps most impotantly the scratch are isues I would focus on.

Talk to the GM its <his> service advisor is operating at a lower standard than we see fit for an Infinti dealership.Or any dealership for that matter.

Fred...

rydwhite

That is wrong. Let us know how your conversation with the GM went.

DenverG35c

Here's the TSB on the window issue:

Service Bulletin Num : 03021 Date of Bulletin: ? Type: Coupe Component: Body Trim Summary: Grease Mark Or Streak On Inside Of Door Glass IF YOU CONFIRM: A mark or streak of grease on the inside of the door glass after the window has been lowered and then raised. ACTIONS: Remove the door window regulator module assembly. Replace the original glass "stabilizer" felt with the new pieces from the Stopper Kit.

rydwhite

Do you know if this is covered by the warranty?

DenverG35c

Yeah, its a Technical Service Bulletin. They go out to dealer service departments. They alert them to known problems but aren't the same as a recall which would affect a large number of vehicles. Here's a good TSB resource:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/tsb/

GeeThreeFive

Well, I went to the General Manager and he took care of everything. He called over to the service manager and told him he had better get my window problem fixed. The mileage is to hard to prove, but I guarantee he won't do it again. They are ordering me a new peice for my dash where it was scuffed. And anything else I wanted. Since they just opened up he said he didn't want me bad mouthing them. I said, "To late, it's already on the internet." I'm glad that someone found an answer to the window problem. He took the door panels off and said that the brush was causing the problem and he bent it back a little and cleaned it with alcohol. He said it may rattle if he bends it to much. Now I will go back tomorrow with this new information and see what he says. He was suppose to call the tech hotline. If he would have won't he have found out what the problem was?Anyway, while he was working on my car he gave me the keys to the loaner again without any paperwork. I get down the road and call the GM. He could not believe it, he had just been given the forms and instructed to use them. When I came back he had me sign them as if I had done it first. What a waste of time. Although they did try their best to make everything right.

PalmerWMD

We'll you never posted the nam of the dealership, so in a way its not out.

Fred..:)

PS: I am glad it got addressed.

Galle

Geez, with that kind of a story, I thought you were driving a VW...

Sorry, inside Dub joke...most VW dealership service departments are deplorable...

PalmerWMD

[quote=" Galle [BSorry, inside Dub joke...most VW dealership service departments are deplorable... [/quote]

That is indeed their reputation..

Galle

You can just imagine the level of shock and suprise of walking into Sewell Infiniti and being offered a fresh-baked cookie! *laugh*

I was almost wary. If I had ever been offered a VolksCookie, I don't think I would have accepted it...

GeeThreeFive

Well, I tell you what I was almost wishing I had a VW there for awhile. I even took the service manager a big bag of assorted Hershey's candy before I found out about the problems. Luckily I get a big discount working there. I think we should end this soap opera and go onto another subject.:confused:

Will C

I own a VW and I can confirm that their service sucks. I had an emergency with my car and I still had to wait three days for it to be fix. When picking up the car, they said it was only something minor. Bunch of BS. Whatever, its a lease and I have the g35 coupe on the way. Can't wait to sample a piece of the Infiniti service. By the way, you should be happy you got a loaner. When I asked VW for one, they chuckled.

Return to “G35 and G37 Interior, Exterior and Audio”