TITAN V8

Covering the 2003-2015 first-gen and 2016+ Titan and Titan XD lineup
Richard Petersen

They are available in the yards. 1,000 miles. ----How hard is it to convert a V8 to run with a bare bones sensors and ECU setup in a boat ? NO emissions needed, want to keep the stock REV LIMITER. I repaired and up dated machinery, reprogramed drive prameters daily. Is there any one who really would be able to tell me accurately? Thanks, Richard---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------White Plains NY. Local can wire them. 2 mo. ago/ auto trans/ V8/ 1000mi. good cond.
Modified by Richard Petersen at 5:06 PM 12/29/2004

sticky240
Car: 90 240sx, 04 Titan SE

what?

You have seen on in the junk yard? What city?

Richard Petersen

2 months ago a yard in White plains, NY. Get your local yard to web them. Said it was ok & auto trans.

s13sr20chris
Car: nissans

well, the stock computer should be able to run it in a boat i would imagine. you would need the stock gas pedal(maybe modify to work with a hand control if you want) because the ecm needs to see the accelerator position sensor to control the electronic throttle. you would also need the mass air flow sensor, ignition coils, crank sensor(s), etc. this is easy stuff i would think. i think you could do away with the 02 sensors and such without too much of an issue. if you dont have the time to mess with all that you "could" use a carby setup. i am very interested in this project and will be glad to help you the whole way through the project.

Richard Petersen

The real problems pop up when you disconnect sensors and put in fixed resistor values. The computers, industrial, immediatly sense wrong combinations at any speed and either shut down-failsafe- or go to reduced power. Rich

Richard Petersen

By the slimest of chances. Does the Titan V8 have one of the OV camshafts with a slot or tang on the end that I could use to drive the MSD distributor/ vacum and centrifugal advance? Modifiying the aluminum ? cover is no problem. I have a great welder friend. Yes , we would put in a oil seal.

Richard Petersen

Chris, am I getting a impression that the Titan V 8 is a more reliable V 8 than the Infiniti?

s13sr20chris

its too new to be sure. i will say i have seen the inside of both and if you want reliable/durable the motor for you is the vh45de or vh41de. they came in the pre 2002 q45. the new q45 motor is the vk45 with the titan/armada/qx56 getting the vk56de. for a boat the vk56de is good because of the available torque. still the old vh series(esp the 45) was really overbuilt. so, lots of talk and no easy answer. the vh engine will not cost any less than the vk but it will be old. all of theese engines are built to standard so high that rebuilding them is usually no favor to the engine. i will check on the camshafts for you as i am not sure. i would be suprised if there were any kind of tang on it. i do believe there has to be some sort of mechanism(likely a keyway and a woodruff key) to position the sprocket on the cam(s). so then you just pick a cam you want to drive from(exhaust would be better for this) and maybe have a machinist build you a custom sprocket with a msd drive right on it. hate to see you ditch the individual coil set up. can an msd setup drive the coils? which sensors are you looking to get rid of?

Richard Petersen

The MSD uses 1 coil only, vacum and centrifugal advance, both are adjustable.Rev limiter is also adjustable. would use no sensors or E C M. Complete ignition system has 3 wires. + 12 vdc - ignition switch - o vdc.---------------------------------------------------- The drive can be front or rear of camshaft, plenty of room.

Richard Petersen

AS a after thought. The race car guys. Do they get by with the stock camshaft chain setup or a modification. I will cruise at 3600 rpm, which is 30 mph. That is the peak of torque and usually the best gas milage point in all the Nissan's I have owned.

Richard Petersen

The carb is to be a street unit with a full, below the throttle plates port. I am taking your thought seriously about 4.5 L engine. It sounds tougher and has a track record. Can you get a torque/ rpm camparison to the TITAN. 16'-- 2500# running boat should not mis the horsepower. I will leave room for the V8 if needed. The plan is to use the rear wheel auto trans in a auto upshift of the trans. Can I lock out any or all of 3-4-OD by disconnecting their solenoid wires, so we would still have R N F 1-2-3? Or 1-2-3-4? Thanks again. Rich

Richard Petersen

Msd uses a single coil and a total of 3 wires to run. $ of distr. module, centri. and vac. advances and a rev limiter mean I can carry a complete spare system on the boat for under $500.
Modified by Richard Petersen at 8:11 PM 1/3/2005

Richard Petersen

Can you get a torque/ rpm comparison between the 4.5 and the 5.6. I like the proven track record of the older engines. Do the racers modify the camshaft chain setup in any way for continuous hi rpm's? Thanks, Rich

Richard Petersen

I did not first see my original posts. Re did them.

s13sr20chris

i wish i could say the 4.5 had a proven endurance racing track history but the only proving it has done was on the road and in some drag racing. if you poke around the internet(and our own engineering forum for "high power vh45) you will prob find more than a few high power drag cars running the vh45de v8. the stock cams are pretty good as is the stock cam drive. a little freshing up with new chain, tensioner, guides, etc. may be a good idea on an older motor. i dont actually have a good dyno chart comparison for you but i will tell you the newer motor definitely has higher output and lower weight. which engine to go with is really a long term reliability issue. the older stouter engine should last you longer under heavy load but the newer engine will definitely get you around faster.

i know you can lock out od with the od switch. as for selecting other gears manually, you may have to check out a level ten manual valve body.

QShip

Richard Petersen wrote:Can you get a torque/ rpm comparison between the 4.5 and the 5.6. I like the proven track record of the older engines. Do the racers modify the camshaft chain setup in any way for continuous hi rpm's? Thanks, Rich
There's a company in Brockton, MA that modifies the vh45de for marine applications.

I'll do a search and post the name.

Richard Petersen

Thanks for the help, Rich.

Richard Petersen

I never do wide open for more than 60 seconds or 1 mile. I get my fun on the acceleration. That is why I would like to know how to correctly lock out the upper gears. I want to avoid OD and HIGH. Lower gears are stronger for continious loads of a boat?

s13sr20chris

shoot, if you just want 3rd gear then thats easy. TRANS FAILSAFE!

if you unplug/cut all the wires going into the trans you will go into trans failsafe. or you could just pull the a/t fuse if the motor is in a car. trans failsafe gives you 3rd and reverse only. its a fully mechanical condition with max line pressure(i think) commanded. this would be good for you if 3rd gear is acceptable.

or, i think if i had the valve body in front of me i could work something out. for that matter a real trans expert could prob convert it to manual for not much money(assuming you just deliver it to him in a box).

Richard Petersen

This may be a repeat. I like the FAIL SAFE. Will it positively give 3 N R -- MUST be at full pressure or slippage will happen in a boat. Props are selected to NEVER slip. Could I apply +12 vdc to the full pressure line solenoid as a positive? Thanks very much. Rich

s13sr20chris

hmmm, i will see what i can figure out about full line pressure. it may just be that easy.

QShip

Richard Petersen wrote:Thanks for the help, Rich.
===== Zigouras Speed & Marine, Inc. 110 Market Street Brockton, MA 02301 US 1-866-773-7654

Sorry it took so long.

s13sr20chris

ok, this is a new trans and it has many possible failsafe modes instead of just one.

line pressure solenoid malfunction=full line pressuretorque converter clutch solenoid malf=no lockupvarious engine braking solenoids=no engine brakeinput clutch, direct clutch, and high/reverse clutch solenoid malf=4th gearturbine sensor, front brake solenoid malf=5th geara/t interlock malf=2nd gear

Richard Petersen

Q 45,thanks very much for helping me . Rich.

Richard Petersen

Chris, I am back to the dealer for a print out of the new transmission solenoid functions. Thanks for putting me on my guard. Rich

Richard Petersen

Am I slow, or is this site slow somtimes?

AZhitman
Administrator
Car: 58 L210, 63 Bluebird RHD, 64 NL320, 65 SPL310, 66 411 RHD, 67 WRL411, 68 510 SR20, 75 280Z RB25, 77 620 SR20, 79 B310, 90 S13, 92 SE-R, 92 Silvia Qs, 98 S14.

Must be you.

Biggest, baddest server in the world of automotive forums. Nothing but the best for you guys.

Chris, great work, BTW!!!

Never thought NICO would cater to boat owners...

Richard Petersen

NEVER had a problem with NISSAN products. Should I go back ( 20 years ago ) to G M, and thumb a ride to the nearest gas station? NAAAHH.

Richard Petersen

Thanks for having this site. Richard Petersen

Richard Petersen

I was able to find Zigouras. --Zigouras Racing...110 Market Street, Brockton, MA. ...508-583-5133... Ask for Paul. Knows power boats, practical reasons for each type of motors in the boat I am building. Thank you for being so helpful. My best to you, Richard Petersen

Return to “Nissan Titan Forum”