Titan door rattle?????

Covering the 2003-2015 first-gen and 2016+ Titan and Titan XD lineup
pmkls2
Car: 1990 240SX Fastback

Hey guys I am a GM technician at a Cadillac dealer and one of our salesmen has a new titan pickup with a rattle in the drivers door. He came to me yesterday and asked me to fix it for him. I was curious about why he didnt just have it fixed under warranty but he told me that the local nissan dealer he took it to said nothing was wrong with it. He also told me that he comes to some of these forums (not sure which ones) and somebody gave him instructions on how to remove the door panel (which he printed and gave to me) and they told him what to fix. However he wasnt clear about what it was that is making th noise. So that is my question to all of you is what is a common cause of a rattle in the doors because from what I can gather it is a pretty common problem in them.

NISTECH

Door rattles I have not experianced at my dealer yet but have had numerous window regulator problems in them. along with rotor warpage.

SmithSR
Car: 240sx

Nistech, from your experience as a tech, what would you say is the average time it takes a new vehicle model to work out all the kinks such as door rattles, window problems, computer snafu.. etc.

NISTECH

2 model years in most cases. sometimes it could take longer,on rare occasion it could be figured out in 1 yr. Right now I think Nissan shut down production on the Quest till they get the bugs ironed out. I have not seen a new one from the factory come in for about 3 or 4 months now..

pmkls2

What kind of window regulator problems are you talking about NISTECH?

NISTECH

they judder when the windows go up or down.

pmkls2

oh, okay, I was hoping for something that may cause a noise while driving. I guess I will talk to the guy again and try to get a little more info on what he was told was the cause. When I find out and if it fixes the problem I will pass it on to ya just in case you ever encounter a similar complaint ( since it is a new body I am sure you will soon )

NISTECH

You know there is a problem with the regs that can cause a ticking noise when pulling through driveways but I believe it was the murano. I could see though how it could apply to these regs. Where the cable runs along the metal portion of the reg if the metal track is not properly coated with grease it could make an audible tick when the cable is slack and slaps against it.

pmkls2

Alright, that would be great. And like I said, if I stumble on to something I will let you know. I havent even driven the truck yet to listen to the noise, so I guess that would be a good starting point lol.

NISTECH

Well yea,especially if your gonna test drive it when your done to be sure you fixed it...lol

pmkls2

Well, it seems that he took matters into his own hands because I wasnt at work yesterday. He told me this morning that he fixed it last night at home. He said that he took the door panel off and found that the door lock rod had wire-loom wrapped around it and it was vibrating against the door. So, he just put some foam behind it and said that the noise is gone. Now keep in mind that this is all second hand info, but the guy seems fairly intelligent so I believe him. Anyways, thanks for the help and keep this thread in mind if you ever get a titan with a door rattle.

NISTECH

Oh it is now burned in to my brain. Its an illness I have..lol I have that problem with technical advise that is of intrest to me It sticks after I read it usually only once. Thanx for posting back on it I appreciate it.

pmkls2

No problem, this site has been a life-saver for me with my own car so anytime I can give some input I try. By the way NISTECH, did you see my thread about the $0.99 mod in the 240/silvia technical forum? It has raised a few eyebrows and got a lot of mixed feedback, but I swear it works well in my car anyhow. Thanks again for the help.

NISTECH

post a link to it.

pmkls2

Here ya go The $0.99 mod that works

NISTECH

interesting mod. But I have to say the nissan tech that posted in that thread, I to have learned the IAT is not a fuel control device for eithe car. It was added to back up the Coolant temp in a fail safe condition. We have both been to tech school for ECCS training and that is one of the things they mention about that sensor. If it is effecting it some how I would definitly like to see how the O2 registers between having it both ways to see how much of a fuel difference it is making.

pmkls2

well, I cant argue with factory training, but I will swear to you that it makes a difference on how it runs. But as a GM guy I know that it has always been a trick to relocate the IAT to cooler location and fool the computer that way. Anyways, I am sure that it is a small difference at most but it seems to make my car drive like a completely different car. In fact, today I had it out on the interstate and noticed it really drove a lot nicer than usual. If you have a nissan I would suggest you try it just to see what it does, as far as I know just about all of the IAT sensors on nissans have the same resistance values so it should work on any of them, but of course the results may vary depending on the engine. But like I said in the other thread you can believe me or not I am still happy with what it did to my car and am just trying to pass on the info to the next guy.

NISTECH

No dont get me wrong I am not disbelieving you at all. It wouldnt be the first time nissan technical division was incorrect about something. They also swear to me there is no maf fail safe for the 2000 maxima when it goes bad. I have experianced it myself and proved it on the same car. Do you know how to use a DSO? If so get some graph readings off the O2 one with it connected and one with your mod in place. Do it at the same speed on both tests. approximatly the same amount of throttle opening both times. post the average O2 voltage on both setups. Your mod should show a slight increase in average voltage.

pmkls2

I dont wanna sound stupid here but what is a DSO, I probably know what it is but call it something different.

NISTECH

Digital Storage Ocilliscope.

pmkls2

Hmmm, that would be a big negative, I work in a very small cadillac shop and we dont really even have most of the essential basic tools we need. I have to go next door to the other dealers if I want to use a press for pete's sake lol. But I will try to dig up something that I can record accurate results with. Anyways if yo got a buck and a nissan car try it, you'll be surprised. Any local radio shack should have some 4.7k ohm resistors in stock.

NISTECH

I have tons of electronic components layin around I probably have several resistors in that range. I repair electronics as another one of my intrests ,TV's ,Cb's,steroes,VCR,s hell built my own car alarm years ago and a 12 volt convertor to drop 120v to 12v so i could work on car electronics in the house....lol

pmkls2

Well, you oughta try pluging one in then and see how it works. My speacialty here at cadillac is electronics but I pretty much only use a DMM, a scan tool, and a test light. G.M. doesnt want us knowing what goes on inside of their electronic modules so if any problem can be traced back to a module the entire unit is replaced, so I can get by without needing anything more than what I have.

Return to “Nissan Titan Forum”