Tire/wheel questions

Forum for the unique Murano, and official home of Nissan Murano Club!
brooke

I'm looking at buying an '04 FX45 soon(-ish). My questions - well, at least today :D - have to do with riding comfort and performance in snow.

1. It may be sacreligious, but has anyone put *smaller* rims on the 45? I'm assuming that the 18" rims from the FX35 would give a smoother ride, yes? How much smoother?

2. How good are the "all weather" standard tires in snow? Are Mud & Snow tires available for the FX? Anyone use them? What's the performance hit, if any?

Thanks, all. I'm enjoying reading up on the new purchase!

SmithSR
Car: 240sx

Brooke, definitely read the other threads in this section... one talks specifically about snow driving conditions...

And I see no reason why you couldn't run the 18's on the FX45.. the dealer would have the ultimate answer on this, but it seems the smaller 18's would at least be an option that they could set up for you. I can't remember seeing a passenger automobile with such an enormous brake caliper that it <required> the specific use of a 20" wheel, and not an 18"

The problem may be with the 20" FX45 tires, having an overall diameter that is greater than the FX35 18" wheels. If you were to change wheel sizes to the 18" you would need a tire that is equal in overall diameter to the 20" wheel/tire assy.

Also, post your question in the wheel/tire forum, and Grant from TireRack should have some good input on your tire questions. Best of luck to you...

PHIL:)

SmithSR

PS: welcome to NICO!! :jazz:

brooke

SmithSR wrote:PS: welcome to NICO!! :jazz:

Thank for that. :)

I have searched around a bit and found some answers.

gvitalik

20's come as standard from the factory on FX45 and optional on FX35. When you get your 45 and want 18's I can trade with you. I have FX35 with 18's with 7k from on them from california and I'll pay for shipping both ways

SmithSR

Brooke, what region do you live in? I'm guessing you see a good bit of snow each year?

Also, the dealer can outfit the FX45 with the 18" although they may not want to. Make sure to hassle them to factor in lower cost, without any hidden fees, for exchanging the wheels.

brooke

SmithSR wrote:Brooke, what region do you live in? I'm guessing you see a good bit of snow each year?

Also, the dealer can outfit the FX45 with the 18" although they may not want to.

I'm in the SF Bay Area, but have a place and family at Tahoe. Often, my only need is to be technically legal (so I don't need to carry chains). However, at least once a year I get stuck way over my head. :)

I'm a bit disappointed with Infiniti of Marin (San Rafael) so far. Among other things that have turned out not to be true (though certainly through ignorance rather than evil), they're telling me that one *can't* put 18 inchers on the FX45 - even tough the 35 comes with them stock! I've sort of decided to try the 20" wheels before making any decisions anyway.

The other things they've told me:1. The "snow mode" is no different from the 2003 model.2. The AWD is only automatically invoked under 20mph; beyond that you have to lock it in.

SmithSR

:confused: from a wheel fitment standpoint, the underpinnings of the FX35/45 are identical. Lousy of them to suggest one size will work and one won't.... unless tire diameters are different, which would mean they'd have to source a taller 18" tire for you, which would mean they'd have to work to make the sale....

Oh well, either way you'll be riding in style, and there isn't too much of a ride quality difference (generally) between 18" and 20"

The main issue will be cost of replacement rubber. It'll either cost a lot, or a whole lot, depending on what wheel you end up with. But that isn't a here & now issue.

All things considered.. Good luck, and I hope you get the one you want! Be sure to keep us updated!

PHIL:cool:

NISTECH

hey brooke why dont you hit up sacramento infinity for your FX. They may be more willing to work with you on it. its on your way to tahoe. We are in the sacramento area and we do all kinds of swaps on our lot cars to please our customers. hell they have gone as far as sending 350z wheels out to be crome dipped just to satisfy a customers request. I think you are dealing with a dealer who is not willing to work out a deal to sell the car. If you dont hit up sac infiniti at least check out another infiniti dealer before you buy to see if they will work with you

brooke

Hey, NISTECH,

You say "they" and "we". Do you work at the Sac dealer?

I've actually already contacted Fairfield. I would certainly consider going as far as Sacramento. That's less than 2 hours - and half of it is through the wine country!

Maybe I'm out of line in being disappointed with Marin, but their best offer was $1900 off on a Premium/Tech (but no DVD) incoming '04 FX45 ($51920 - $1900 = $50,020).

I assume I'll do better than that, yes?

MikeNColo
Car: Love to ride Steam Trains

Hey Brooke, Just to straighten out something the dealer told you. The AWD is automatic, but the rest is not really true. Here is a couple of quotes from the owner's manual: "Distribution of torque to the front and rear wheels changes atomatically, depending on road conditions encountered .This results in improved driving stability."

And...

"LOCK mode will change to AUTO mode automatically, when the vehicle speed exceeds approximately 19MPH (30 km/h). The AWD LOCK indicator light will stay on."

If you go to the Infiniti website, there are some neat demo videos that show how they designed the AWD...

brooke

MikeNColo wrote:"LOCK mode will change to AUTO mode automatically, when the vehicle speed exceeds approximately 19MPH (30 km/h). The AWD LOCK indicator light will stay on."

Looks like my salesperson hasn't even looked at the manual. :eek: Thanks, Mike.

And I assume if one were to then dip below 19mph again, the axels would re-lock?

I'm glad to see that you're happier now than initially with the FX's performance in snow. Can you give a basis for comparison: Was it as good as a traditional SUV w/M&S tires (I assume not)? A RWD w/chains?

TIA

NISTECH

Brooke no I work for a nissan dealer. I really dont even know the exact address of sac infiniti I know they are on fulton blvd but thats about it. I just recommended them since its the only one I know the location of and figured out here in the valley they would be more willing to work with you. but farfield may work with you. you do know you can call just about any dealer and make serious inquires about what they are willing to do. You dont nessesarily need to drive there until you know you want to buy the car. The miss information the salesman gave you ,from my experiance with most I have worked with, is pretty much a trade mark of sales people. their drive is to "make the sale" or "close the deal" they tend to make it up if they dont know the correct answer. Anything to get you in the car attitude. IMO car sales staff at any dealership are usually the scum of the earth. but if your in the market for a car you gotta deal with them. I have worked both here in the valley and in the bay area it doesent seem to be teritorial with their attitudes.

Return to “Murano Forum”